Silly Puddy

Hot Glue!!

I've tried something new to me of late. I just bedded 3 rifles over the last week or ten days using hot glue rather than clay, silly puddy, play dough, etc. All I can say is, I have no idea why I didn't try this years before now. It cleans up easier than anything I've used. Most small pieces in small holes etc, just pop right out or I flick it out of the finished bedding. It trims up pretty well too. I'm yet to see a down side. Surely someone has done this before! I'd love to hear why more people don't use it.

edit to add...For large voids in stocks, I stuff it mostly full of paper towel before squirting in the hot glue.

Also, I'm sure there are some super duper grades of hot glue out there by now. I just used cheapo Dollar Store stuff. The good stuff might actually stick! Probably not the best for this use.

Last edited:
I've tried something new to me of late. I just bedded 3 rifles over the last week or ten days using hot glue rather than clay, silly puddy, play dough, etc. All I can say is, I have no idea why I didn't try this years before now. It cleans up easier than anything I've used. Most small pieces in small holes etc, just pop right out or I flick it out of the finished bedding. It trims up pretty well too. I'm yet to see a down side. Surely someone has done this before! I'd love to hear why more people don't use it.

edit to add...For large voids in stocks, I stuff it mostly full of paper towel before squirting in the hot glue.

HOlee SCHNEikie that's cool.....(8 yardapes here, we got's gluestix out the everlivin butt tox...)

and FWIW we have mixes that will build-fill a magwell in minnits....

HOlee SCHNEikie that's cool.....(8 yardapes here, we got's gluestix out the everlivin butt tox...)

and FWIW we have mixes that will build-fill a magwell in minnits....

I thought so, too. No idea why I didn't think of this a long time ago. It works great, though!

Also, I'm sure there are some super duper grades of hot glue out there by now. I just used cheapo Dollar Store stuff. The good stuff might actually stick! Probably not the best for this use.

Ive gotta try that! Great idea

Back