Silencers and/or suppressors

D

Dallas

Could or Would some one give me a heads up or an answer as to how the group feels about a member using a silencer in a Competition shoot?

I am a new member and I would like to be able or allowed to use one at any shoot??

Dallas

i can understand the old style "wiper" affecting accuracy, but not the newer baffle type that does not touch the bullet.
i know people that shoot suppressed with no issues.

comments fro someone that has been there done that with a br rifle ??

They are detrimental to accuracy, so why would you want to use one?

What about the Weight factor ? L V Benchrest is 10 1/2 lbs,,,, heavy is 13 1/2 lbs. the suppressor has to weigh at least 1- 1 1/2 lbs if not more. The harmonics will also be effected, it will in all probability react like a Muzzle tuner,without the fine points of adjustments, and thats a lot of barrel to give up.

I M H O

Last edited:
Even the slightest variation in the muzzle crown can affect accuracy. Imagine what hanging an entire baffled structure off the end of your barrel does. We are talking about BR accuracy and not AR15 accuracy.

Lawrence is probably right......

The problem is not so much what you'll use for whatever you want to do but what others will do. I remember a flap sometime back, about muzzle brakes, or something, that caused a problem for some folks in terms of where the gasses were directed. Is there anything in the rules that would prevent such an animal? I would look there before I cooked up a competition rifle with a silencer. I would also look at the law books somewhat if it's a true silencer.

And lastly, I don't know why you would do this when you're gonna line up with others that don't have one. Maybe you can tell us a bit more about what you are thinking. Remember that none of us are opposed to anything that falls within the rules..and can maybe help to get the rules changed when necessary.

I want to begin this new type of competition on a sound note from the group.. It is my understanding that a muzzle brake is not allowed at a competition shoot?? I have a muzzle brake on my rifle at the present time, but it is easily removed..

I have it on there to tone down the re-coil of the rifle itself as you can imagine.. I shoot a 300 Winchester magnum, 29 inch barrel, and at my advanced age, I hate to shoot without a muzzle brake, The suppressor that I use, has one internally installed, that doesn’t effect the accuracy in the least, but breaks down the muzzle blast considerably...

Dallas

I want to begin this new type of competition on a sound note from the group.. It is my understanding that a muzzle brake is not allowed at a competition shoot?? I have a muzzle brake on my rifle at the present time, but it is easily removed..

I have it on there to tone down the re-coil of the rifle itself as you can imagine.. I shoot a 300 Winchester magnum, 29 inch barrel, and at my advanced age, I hate to shoot without a muzzle brake, The suppressor that I use, has one internally installed, that doesn’t effect the accuracy in the least, but breaks down the muzzle blast considerably...

Dallas

Which discipline are you considering ?

i shoot a brake on my rifle...but that is 1000 yd br..where they are legal.
at the nationals a guy shooting next to me was blowing stuff off my bench with his brake.
i do not believe his was legal, so i protested. he was told to remove his brake..it had a surface that was
direction gas backwards..not allowed.

i believe a 13.5 rifle could easily built with a suppressor, and tuned to shoot,
BUT if no one else has one, why? quiet load development yep...
and i do not think it would have to be heavy for a 6ppc or 6br.
my 22 suppressor weighs ounces...

Which discipline are you considering ?

What I am going to say now will tell you that I am basically an armature at this kind of shooting.. I first considered the F-CLASS open but found out that that class and type of shooting was much to restrictive for my taste and there is no way that I can afford the travel that is required, to the different Country's to compete and I am really uncomfortable in taking a weapon out of the U.S.A.

So I decided to try the Bench rest style?? I don't think I could adapt myself to getting down and up from the prone position with a heavy rifle that I have several thousand dollars invested into the build-up and playing around down there in the dirt with it.

So, here I am with a rifle that I am very proud of, that I enjoy shooting, and want to join an origination to be proud of at the same time ... Which discipline am I considering??? That is why I am trying to reach out to you guys for guidance with what I have to work with and I have to remember, I am almost 77 years young and it seems like over a 100 years since I was in the CORP. playing in the mud and getting my butt shot at!!

I hope this helps and I am looking for help from you guys and the oppertunity to see if I can out shoot any of you in the same class??

Dallas

there is plenty of f class in the states, no forgein travel required.

and there are clubs that do bench rest f class....
go look at the f class forum.

building a rifle and then trying to find a discipline to shoot is sort of backwards.

If youre the only one with a suppressor on the line it doesnt help your hearing at all. If you find a match near you and go visit youll be able to tell which discipline you may like to pursue. The style gun you have can be shot at 1000yd matches for sure, prs matches but thats in the dirt. Id figure out what classes shoot close and gear up to shoot that with recommendations from the shooters there

there is plenty of f class in the states, no forgein travel required.

and there are clubs that do bench rest f class....
go look at the f class forum.

building a rifle and then trying to find a discipline to shoot is sort of backwards.

Mike in Co.

As I mentioned, I don’t want to enter the F CLASS shooting class and to find a class to shoot in AFTER I have built the rifle, is sort of backwards but the was not ever my intention..

My original intention was to build a rifle to satisfy my ego of being able to hit one of those orange "Home Depot" 5 gallon buckets, at a mile... 1760 yards.

Now I have the rifle build-up, $5800.00, that will reach the bucket, but I need the training to get the job done and the main purpose in all of this was to be able to collect some coyotes

that is killing the DEER herds out here where I live.

Dallas

Dusty and Mike

Thanks guys; I have a Cabela's that is just down the road a short hop... I will check in with them in the next couple of days

Thanks again

Dallas

What I am going to say now will tell you that I am basically an armature at this kind of shooting.. I first considered the F-CLASS open but found out that that class and type of shooting was much to restrictive for my taste and there is no way that I can afford the travel that is required, to the different Country's to compete and I am really uncomfortable in taking a weapon out of the U.S.A.

So I decided to try the Bench rest style?? I don't think I could adapt myself to getting down and up from the prone position with a heavy rifle that I have several thousand dollars invested into the build-up and playing around down there in the dirt with it.

So, here I am with a rifle that I am very proud of, that I enjoy shooting, and want to join an origination to be proud of at the same time ... Which discipline am I considering??? That is why I am trying to reach out to you guys for guidance with what I have to work with and I have to remember, I am almost 77 years young and it seems like over a 100 years since I was in the CORP. playing in the mud and getting my butt shot at!!

I hope this helps and I am looking for help from you guys and the oppertunity to see if I can out shoot any of you in the same class??

Dallas

Dallas -

Can't help but feel your confused or been misinformed to competing:
- First, you do not have to travel out of the USA to compete in F-Class. Safe to say 99% of the F-Class shooters in the USA don't leave the states to shoot.
And also a very large number do not travel more then a couple hundred miles to compete a whole season.

- Second, Benchrest is just that, "bench rest". Meaning you shoot from a bench, not getting up and down from a prone position like you stated above.

Your interest being in Long Range, here is some input to both LR F-Class and Benchrest:
- 600 and/or 1000 Benchrest have 2 classes, LT-Gun and HV-Gun.
LT-Gun has a 17-lb weight limit with brakes and suppressors being permitted.
HV-Gun has no weight limit and again brakes and suppressors are permitted.
Both classes are shot from a bench, from sand-bag rest, with very few rules regulating the rifle configuration (almost anything goes).
That are shot for both Group size and for Score (two ways to win).

- F-Class (F-Open) has a 22-lb weight limit, brakes and suppressors are NOT permitted.
It is shot from a prone position, from bi-pod or rests of many different configurations.
That is shot for Score only.

Hope that helps....
Donovan Moran

Donavan Moran

Donovan;

That third paragraph in your post sounds like, to be what I am looking for... On a broader sense, I do understand the weight limitations for the different class' (these two class' I have never heard of or any thing about them) I would be interested in the LR f-class, benchrest; 600 and or 1000 yards and look at the two classes.. LT-gun and HV-gun..

In those two classes, it looks to me like the dividing line in in the weight of the gun.. Not in the calibre of the gun??? Mine is a 300 Winchester Magnum and the weight is about the 17
pound limitation but can be adjusted down 2-3 pounds or so. I'm going to look up the rules of those two classes.. I have two of the rifles that I have built-up, one is a 300 win mag, Remington 700, LRT.. and the other is a 300 Win Mag, Savage Model 110 FCP.. I enjoy both very much and they are real Coyote getters.. They are both much better than I am..

I want to thank you very much for the guidance and encouragement...I feel like I am advancing even though I don't know what the hell I am doing....(Grin)

Dallas

Back