Shipyard stories

I will be 71 years old in Feb. I have been to many places. I was in the Army.

But through it all, I never got drunk enough, or stupid enough, to get a tattoo.

Jackie, I'm 74 and I don't have any "tats" either". A lot of these younger people that have tattoo's appear to need to spend that money on their children !!

Z Drive

Thanks Jackie

I can see why the system is expensive and have to be pretty rugged behind all that horsepower.

My wife and I were on a cruise ship that used a similar auxiliary system to push the ship away from the pier.

Mort

Sea Legs

The LST ( Landing Ship Tank ) is a shallow draft ship that is used put troops and vehicles right on the beach....They are really good at what they were designed for, but not so good in the middle of the ocean.

" You have never been to sea until you sailed on a LST"

USS Washoe County LST-1165 1961

Mort

Last edited:
The Bos'n Whistle

The Bos'n whistle always preceded "Now hear this" over the ships PA system. In most cases I think the whistle was a recording, while the "Now hear this" was the real deal.

Most of the announcements had to do with the ships crew daily schedule. Other times they were directed to the passengers on board who had no schedule other than to make chow call.

These announcements usually had to do with loitering in places that interfered with those aboard that had a real job,or spitting over the side when crew members were down wind, etc. etc.

So, I think it's time to thank any sailor who served on a LST, LSD or APA for your forbearance while at sea.

However....if you were part of the crew that threw San Miguel beer bottles at us at the White Hat club in Subic Bay, all bets are off.

Some of those bottles still had beer in them.

Mort

PS no one got hurt.

Last edited:
Cast Iron and coffee

In one of the sections where I worked there was this older guy who laid claim to one of the lathes...it was his and no one else was going to touch it ...ever.

A job came in that required several pieces to be machined out of cast iron. He said he would do it if the maintenance department would clean his machine afterwards...to his satisfaction.

They went for it and there were as many as two people there working on HIS lathe the better part of a day while he supervised.

The old guy pretty much kept to himself and could be pretty abrupt with people.

His habit was to come into the shop before anyone else and make his coffee with fresh ground coffee beans...it really smelled good.

One morning just he and I were there and I asked him what kind of beans he used. He not only told me but went on to explain where the best beans came from, etc etc and he offered me a cup.

I can't tell you about any particular job I did in that section because I just don't remember. On the other hand I will never forget the grumpy old machinist with his lathe and his coffee.

Mort

Naval Landing Craft

My dad drove a landing craft while serving in the Navy during WWII. He was in the Pacific fleet. They practiced beach landings quite a bit. If in combat, drivers were ordered to never bring a soldier back from a beach landing if the soldier would not vacate the boat. Each landing craft had a mechanic on board. The landing crafts would race each other during their down time. I don't think they were very fast, but my dad said a good mechanic was invaluable. His mechanic could get a few extra mph's out of his boat.

When I was just a wee lad in the 7th grade my uncle had a friend in the Navy and he had his tally wacker tattooed stripped same as a barbers pole and had running lights put on his arss so they said?

JLouis

Landing Craft Mortorised

My dad drove a landing craft while serving in the Navy during WWII. He was in the Pacific fleet. They practiced beach landings quite a bit. If in combat, drivers were ordered to never bring a soldier back from a beach landing if the soldier would not vacate the boat. Each landing craft had a mechanic on board. The landing crafts would race each other during their down time. I don't think they were very fast, but my dad said a good mechanic was invaluable. His mechanic could get a few extra mph's out of his boat.

I think your father's boat was a LCM and that was dangerous work.

Do you have an idea of how old he was at the time?

Mort

Lcm

Mort, Yes it was a LCM. My dad left high school and enlisted in the Navy at the age of 18. He served two years, the last part of his service was in Japan after their surrender.

I spent some time on LST's in Viet Nam. The first trip was from Hue. Japanese crew. We were heading out on detachment to Phu Quoc island. Now they've turned that into a big resort. If we knew what the beaches were like north of us we'd have gotten together with the Army and pushed a road out that way. We stopped in Da Nang and loaded pallet after pallet of cement then headed south. Glass smooth water. Great trip till we ran out of beer. Unloaded everything on the beach.

Heard you Viet Nam guys got free beer and smokes....

Was almost free...a dime a beer and cigarettes were $1.70 a carton when you had to buy 'em. You could get fairly oiled up on a dollar. Whisky was cheap as dirt as well but I don't remember what we paid...Johnny Walker was less than 2 bucks a quart I think.

Dave

Japanese crew ???

Yep Japanese crew. Contractor I'm sure. I was in the Seabees, most of us were petty officers. We wore a crow on our hats. They thought we were officers and we had premium berths and eat with their officers. Best week of my deployment. Playing cards and drinking beer.

My father

The LST ( Landing Ship Tank ) is a shallow draft ship that is used put troops and vehicles right on the beach....They are really good at what they were designed for, but not so good in the middle of the ocean.

" You have never been to sea until you sailed on a LST"

USS Washoe County LST-1165 1961

Mort

was a quartermaster on an LST. He told me the # but I should have written in down! He was involved with the landing on Omaha beach I believe on June 7

How things can get expensive in just a few seconds.

I am in Corpus Christi align boring a Strut on a 2600 HP Tug.

The boat was pushing a heavy load at full steam on the Intra Coastal Canal when suddenly the Stbd Engine lugged down and after a loud bang, locked up.

What happenned was the propellar had sucked up a huge section of 2 1/2 inch wire rope, winding it up between the prop hub and the strut. It wedged in so tight that it literally pulled the back out of the reduction gear. It also sprung the strut barrel out of alignment by about 3/8 of an inch..

This all happenned so fast that the captain failed to shut things down before the catastrophic damage could occur.

Here are some pictures. The back of the Reduction Gear torn out, (that's the large main thrust Bearing, about 12 inches diameter), the rope caught in the wheel/ Strut, and me boring the strut back to in alignment. We will machine a steel sleeve to press into the strut for the Bearing to go in.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20650&stc=1&d=1517626783

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20651&stc=1&d=1517626843

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20652&stc=1&d=1517626891

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20653&stc=1&d=1517627049

All in a day's work.

Attachments

• imagejpeg.jpg
    imagejpeg.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_2324.JPG
    IMG_2324.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 497
  • IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Looks like a fairly new boat.....red gear is pretty clean. Unless someone steam cleaned it before picture.
Jackie. Sounds like more hurricane related business for your company.....

was a quartermaster on an LST. He told me the # but I should have written in down! He was involved with the landing on Omaha beach I believe on June 7

I found the number because I remembered the name of the ship. You can look for LST'S made early in the war and something might jog your memory.

I'm sure your father's passengers were scared as well as sea sick.

I'm sure you are proud of him for his service during the war.

Last edited:
Jackie

You are living proof that with ingenuity, a welder, access to air,scrap steel stock and a ball of twine from Walmart.......anything is possible.

Found Corpus Christi on the map. Did you commute that far?

I'm still looking at the pics.

Mort

Back