Rifle: A machine rated in horsepower

LOL. If this were not so tiresome it might be fun.
Lift a 1 lb weight 1 ft and you have changed it's (potential) energy by 1 ft-lb
do it in 1 second and you have demonstrated 1 ft-lb/sec of power

Fire a bullet straight up and you have changed it's energy (in this case kinetic) from 0 to 4195 ft-lb, and it took 0.001711 sec. barrel time to do this.
That is still a 2451782.583 ft-lb/sec rate of change in energy. Divide this value by the energy rate of change defined as ONE HP or 550 ft-lbs/sec and the result is STILL 4458 HP.

Just because you stole the rather well written description, is no indication that you understand what it says.
Determine how much time was required to do the work

This whole discussion reminds be of a comedy skit.

Hippy: Oh I'm a happy hippy, takin' a little trippy.....
Cop: Pull over boy, I got you clocked at better'n 80 miles an hour.
Hippy: Man, that's impossible. I haven't even been out an hour.

It's 4 pm here and I have to be at work at 11pm. No more replies from me until tomorrow.

Last edited:
LOL. If this were not so tiresome it might be fun.

Fire a bullet straight up and you have changed it's energy (in this case kinetic) from 0 to 4195 ft-lb, and it took 0.001711 sec. barrel time to do this.
That is still a 2451782.583 ft-lb/sec rate of change in energy. Divide this value by the energy rate of change defined as ONE HP or 550 ft-lbs/sec and the result is STILL 4458 HP.

Just because you stole the rather well written description, is no indication that you understand what it says.

This whole discussion reminds be of a comedy skit.

Hippy: Oh I'm a happy hippy, takin' a little trippy.....
Cop: Pull over boy, I got you clocked at better'n 80 miles an hour.
Hippy: Man, that's impossible. I haven't even been out an hour.

I'll tell you what's funny. You now are telling me the bullet weighs TWO TONS and doing calculations, telling me you have a BS in engineering, and can't do basic math.

Where the h___ did you get an energy number to apply into the front side of the horsepower equasion? How many times need I say you are SQUARING the velocity. Your projectile YOU are measuring is traveling 9 million feet straight up, NOT 3000 feet.

Let me spell it out REAL CLEAR for you since all you have is a BS (and probably should not have received it). In your first example, you are WRONG.

POWER has nothing to do with it. You did not "demonstrate power" you demonstrated "WORK". Power is how much energy potential is available, work is how much has been done in a period of time.

We do not care about remaining energy. We lifted that weight 1 foot in one second. It was LIFTED 1 foot. Do NOT square the velocity now and say that is the input to the HP equasion.

Now, take a .03 pound weight, lift it 3000 feet in ONE SECOND and you have 90 FOOT POUNDS PER SECOND of WORK. GET IT, I DON'T CARE ABOUT RESIDUAL ENERGY. WORK IS WORK.

Just because you have a BS does not mean you weren't doing too much "LDS as Spock would say". You are unbelieveable.

I have a great excersize for you. Why don't you take your muzzle energy value and try to tell me how much that bullet weighs? Lol. Hell, you'll probably come up with 210 grains again doing the reverse math wrong too! :D

That second line is simply so far out in left field, it's not fit to discuss. I sure hope you didn't engineer anything I use on a daily basis.

All in fun man.

Let's break this down into really little pieces so you can see how this works. Just pretend we're all back in school.

How much does the bullet weigh.

How far did we move the bullet in one second.

Now, just stop there and tell me how much work was done. Can you do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any engineers, science/math teachers, or others out there who love math?

Challenge: Can you take a specific cartridge in a specific rifle and determine the horsepower generated by the rifle?

I've often wondered about this . . . hope someone takes me up on it.

Montana Pete

Gentleman, would you believe, that Mr. Montana Pete actually specified the type of people he thought would be correct.

Con

Whatever you think 4Mesh.
I got my BS in Engineering in 1985. And worked as an engineer and machine designer for around 25 years. I have a fair handle on the differences between power, energy and work. I have successfully built and used a ballistic pendulum - not an exercise to sneeze at, simple as it may sound.
:D

Vibe,

You and I may be the only two nuts who have built a ballistic pendulum. After I made a shot, there was about one hour of math to do without a calculator or a computer. On this horsepower thing, I seem to remember a picture in my physics book of a horse pulling a rope over a pulley lifting a 550 pound weight one foot in one second (550 foot pounds per second) and that represented one horsepower. It had nothing to do with acceleration.

I believe that it is just that simple. Study this thing a little longer and let us know what you think. It has been an interesting little problem and it doesn't really mean anything. I don't believe that anyone will describe their rifle in horse power.

Concho Bill

Now addressing the edit you did on the post 2 above...

Breaking this statement down, let's see how we arrive at these numbers.

Part one.
Fire a bullet straight up and you have changed it's energy (in this case kinetic) from 0 to 4195 ft-lb

Yup, this is how we calculate energy, has nothing to do with work.

Energy is calculated by taking the weight of the projectile in grains and multiplying it by the SQUARE of it's VELOCITY in feet per second, then dividing by 450240. IE, 210 grain bullet multiply by 3000fps^2 then divide by 450240 and you get ENERGY in foot lbs. NOT WORK. You are saying the bullet moved NINE MILLION feet and it did not. Work is simply how much weight you lift adn how far, not how far squared.

210 x 9,000,000 / 450240 = 4198 Ft Lbs ENERGY ( why sierra infinity said 4195 ???)

Here's a site with a great example. http://www.pyramydair.com/site/articles/formulas/

Now, you are taking that value and using it as if it was work, and it is not. It is energy. Then you are taking the time in the barrel which has not one thing to do with this quantity, and dividing by that infintesimally small time in seconds to come up with an astronomicaly wrong value for work done, then somehow converting it to horsepower.

In other words, you are saying 4198 ft lbs of work was done in .0017 seconds, (or .0012 or whatever value we are using) and that is so far off base I can't tell ya.

WORK is calculated by taking the weight in LBS, and multiplying by the distance you lift the mass in feet, represented by foot lbs. Please re-read the example I gave on how to calculate horsepower AND DO THAT. If I need to make that simpler we are at an impass because I can't do it. To arrive at work per second you must then take how many seconds it took to do that work and divide to get foot lbs per second.

How much work was done is completely independant of the time it took.

How much power it took to do the work is directly related to how long it took.

You are taking the velocity number for our mass, squaring it and trying to call it the distance moved. BZZZZZZZZ Wrong.

Please work through that energy calculation MANUALLY and tell me how it is applicable or comparable to the calculation of work described above several times. How do you arbitrarily define the ending energy units as work? Would you please explain that in detail?

One last time. WORK = Weight * Distance. THAT'S IT. To convert to HP you need to know how long it took to do that work. NOW, you have HP. End of story. You do NOT square the amount of distance in feet and then call it work. Then backtrack time and call that HP.

All I can say is, PLEASE give a 100% full example showing ALL of your calculations in parts, so as to prove your point if you still feel it is correct. Also, please correlate those examples completely with MY formulas and show where my formula is flawed. I am no longer interested in hearing how your example is right, please show me what part of mine does not work in the schoolbook example written very simply above...

HP = feet distance * lbs moved / seconds elapsed / 550

Vibe,

You and I may be the only two nuts who have built a ballistic pendulum. After I made a shot, there was about one hour of math to do without a calculator or a computer.
I set up an Excell spreatsheet so that part took a bit less time. But I designed my pendulum on the front end to where the difference between a 12" swing and a 13" swing was 100ft/sec. That way I could come close to knowing the velocity of each shot right away. And I was "only" dealing with 35 grain projectiles at between 1500 adn 2000 fps. I was developing the Cricket and did not have a chronograph of my own.

On this horsepower thing, I seem to remember a picture in my physics book of a horse pulling a rope over a pulley lifting a 550 pound weight one foot in one second (550 foot pounds per second) and that represented one horsepower. It had nothing to do with acceleration.
LOL. I must have had the same book, or that picture was prionted in all of them. Yes, even in that picture there was still acceleration...but it was "just" gravity.

I believe that it is just that simple. Study this thing a little longer and let us know what you think. It has been an interesting little problem and it doesn't really mean anything. I don't believe that anyone will describe their rifle in horse power.
LOL. I know I'm not going to be one of them if they do.
I figure if anything is "off" it's the time value.

Concho Bill[/QUOTE]

In this world there's gener'ly two sorts of people, guys that FIGGER and guys that DO. Also most gener'ly, the guys that DO hire the guys that FIGGER whenever they need them....... kinda' like hiring a taxi to get you from the airport to the meeting.

RARELY comes a guy that can FIGGER AND DO, guys like Harold Vaughn, Thomas Edison, Leonardo Da Vinci................even some folks here on this board, and some who USEta' hang out on this board until they just got frustrated.

Now, if I have a thing to be done and a choice between a "FIGGERER" and a DOER to do it, I'll pick the DOER every time since't he ain't hampered by all the figgers, he's got a job to do. :D figgerers tend to get lost in the elegance of their theory...... to these folks, reality means NOTHING, to them Schroedinger's cat was an actual experiment......

reality CHECK!

LOL

al

Ohhh yeahhh, Henry's numbers are good :)

Henry is most definitely both a figgerer and a doer. ;)

Henry's post is about acceleration. The question is about horsepower.

al

OOOPS......

Henry's post IS about horsepower :eek:

(wiping egg off my face)

I coulda' just deleted the post but this'll do my pride some good if I'm wrong....Maybe we DO need to involve heem. :D

LOL

al

I finally took the time to look at how Henry expressed himself.... (I'm surprised that he used the term horsepower at all :) it ain't LIKE Henry ) We don't need to bring him in...... the kicker lies in the time interval. The work being done is still only a fraction of "a horsepower." BECAUSE horsepower isn't a rate, it's a defined unit of measurement.

Ahhh, Henry will be PISSED if we drag him into this one :D

LOL

al

In this world there's gener'ly two sorts of people, guys that FIGGER and guys that DO. Also most gener'ly, the guys that DO hire the guys that FIGGER whenever they need them.

Now, if I have a thing to be done and a choice between a "FIGGERER" and a DOER to do it, I'll pick the DOER every time.

al

The figgerer is the guy who considers what a thing is going to look like or what a thing is going to do or not do before he starts doing. In the Boy Scouts we had a term for this, "Be prepared".

Al, I figger I am a doer and a figgerer if that term means thinking and planning before doing and I kinda think you are too.

You wouldn't set up some forms that you intend to pour concrete into without figgering what the concrete thing is going to look like after you remove the forms, would you?

Would you call a figgerer to tell you how to brace the forms?

And I don't think that you would need to rely on a figgerer to tell you how much concrete to order to fill your forms.

Of course not! It would delay the project by several days.

I figger that this horsepower thing as applied to a gun is like a crossword puzzle to some of us. Nothing more and nothing less. Just a mind game, that's all.

By the way, me and old 4Mesh are still right.:)

Concho Bill

Vibe, Lynn, those who are still disputing this... mother of gawd guys, you have to come away from this acceleration thing.

Now, I want you to read this message real close like, and at each line, determine if my math is correct or incorrect. Now, please quote this entire message, and in the middle where I make my mistake, I want you to put a big bold red message that says, 4Mesh is WRONG HERE. Ok?

Now.

Formula for HP is --------- WORK / TIME = HP

Are we still ok to this point?

Work is defined as
Step 1
Calculate how much work is done by the device. Work is the measure of force times distance. For instance, raising an object weighing 1 Newton 1 meter results in 1 Newton-meter (or 1 Joule) of work. In English units, raising an object weighing 1 pound 1 foot results in 1 foot-pound of work.

I do not see any velocity in that calculation, do you? Now, above Vibe, you were kind enough to mention that I am unable to understand this text I've provided. Would you like for me to quote your "degree in BS" statement about that? It looks to me like you multiply one value times the other. WEIGHT in POUNDS times DISTANCE LIFTED = WORK PERFORMED.

Are we ok so far folks? Problems here?

Step 2
Understand the definition of "weight." Weight is a measurement of mass multiplied the acceleration of gravity. In SI units, kilogram is a measurement of mass, although it is commonly used to refer to weight. 1 kilogram of mass multiplied by the acceleration of gravity is 1 Newton of weight. Similarly, in English units, a pound is a measurement of weight, and slugs is a measurement of mass, making a pound equal to 1 slug multiplied by the acceleration of gravity.

Ok, so weight is expressed in POUNDS and it already has gravity included into it. We don't need to include it again do we?

Are we OK to here? We know what a pound is?

1 Pound = 1 Slug * gravity acceleration. ? Still Ok? Should be, there's no calculations to do if we weigh the object we are propelling. Nature does that math for us! Whoopeee.

Step 3
Learn how to define "work." To do work, you must move an object in the same direction as the force that was applied to it. For instance, if you try to lift a box, but can't, you haven't done any work even though the attempt my tire you. If you lift the box and carry it across the room, only the distance that you lifted the box counts as work.

Only the distance you LIFT the box counts as work.

For our purpose, let's just say, ONLY THE DISTANCE YOU LIFT THE BULLET COUNTS AS WORK.

Any troubles to this point Vibe?
Step 4
Determine how much time was required to do the work. If it took 1 second to raise the 1-Newton weight 1 meter, the power of the device that raised the weight is 1 Joule per second or 1 watt. In English units, the device that raised a 1-pound weight 1 foot in 1 second is 1 foot-pound per second.

The time it takes to propel our bullet is one second for 3000 ft in the above examples. It is not 1 second TIMES .0012 seconds. Just 1 second.

Can we agree up to this point? I know this is a toughy cause we have time in there now, but really, just read the damn steps one at a time.

Ok, we need to clarify that english units equation. They do mean, 1 pound, times 1 foot equals foot pounds of work, yes? Am I making a horrible mistake here by just multiplying those figures? Perhaps I should square some of them or all? Maybe the rest of the upright standing world missed something in the equations?

So, so far, work = lbs lifted x feet lifted x time in seconds to do it?

Still ok here? Should we now calculate the residual energy before calculating the horsepower? That would allow us to make astronomical claims. Somehow, I don't see in the examples where they calculate work, then take energy and add that in too. Did I miss something?

So, work is still just work? Now Vibe,
I have a fair handle on the differences between power, energy and work.
Oh yea, well I beg to differ with you. I think you should say, I SHOULD HAVE a fair handle on them, but don't.

Now, to convert that to power, we need to know how long it took to do THAT AMOUNT OF WORK.

We express that in seconds. Yes??? No squares or square roots here eh?

So, WORK = LBS WEIGHT x FEET DISTANCE LIFTED x SECONDS ELAPSED

Gee, where's the how fast it's going part? Did the engineering world leave that out? What the hell do they know about work anyhow.

SO, correct the incorrect line PLEASE. Or, just point out where I'm headed the wrong direction, OK?

1 Lb x 1 ft in 1 second = 1 ft lb / sec

2 lb x 1 ft in .5 seconds = 1 ft lb / sec Hmmm. faster,but still the same work?? Why?

1 lb x 2 ft in .5 seconds = 1 ft lb / sec Hmmm. Faster yet, hmmm, odd...

100 lb x .005 ft in .5 seconds = 1 ft lb / sec Slower? same work?

.005 lb x 100 ft in .5 seconds = 1 ft lb / sec

1 lb x 3000 ft in 1 second = 3000 ft lb / sec

WHOA!!!!! Wait a minute, a POUND at 3000 ft per second is only 3000 ft lbs / second?????? Impossible! Damn equations!

How can that be? Gee 4Mesh, You can't possibly mean that math continues to work even when you change the values can you? Hell, even a .03 lb object lifted the same distance in the same time causes more ft lbs than that in Vibes example?

Ok Vibe, am I wrong yet? Lynn? How am I doing?

I know what it is, I used 3000 ft. I should go back and change that.

3000 lb x 1 ft in 1 second = 3000 ft lb / sec

Ah, that's better. Now it's moving slower so when we square the distance, it is still 1. Vibe likes this equation as long as it's all 1's, but when you throw in numbers greater than 1 and some decimals, it's gets significantly tougher.

Now Here we go

Step 5
Convert foot-pounds per second into horsepower by dividing by 550. You can also convert watts to horsepower if you know that 746 watts equals 1 horsepower.

You mean, all we have to do is divide by 550? Man, I want to do more math than that. How bout I square the 550 just for the hell of it? Nah, that would make the HP sound too small. I think I'll take the square root of 550 and use that instead. That's better, now our HP is higher! Now quite high enough, but better'n ole 4Mesh's example. Using the accepted equations just doesn't give the result I want damn it! :D

Bill, man, we gotta wonder bout these folks...

Ok. Now, is there anyone out there with a REAL degree in mechanical engineering who can tell me why my 163.63 hp over .001 second example is technically incorrect given the stated input parameters? Hint. I already told you above that there's more to it. However, it will not change the result appreciably. It is however technically incorrect.

Vibe, did you do any work on that Mars Lander project a few years back? You know, the one that made a half mile deep hole in Mars? :D :D

Almost an hour and a half of my time wasted to produce this for someone who's parents probably paid significant money for an education that was never received...

With modern day dynamometer's, horsepower is a calculated value from the measured TORQUE and RPM.
<< HP = TORQUE * RPM / 5252 >>

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Check out that last formula. By distance moved do you mean dragging a weight is as as much effort as lifting it?:)

Concho Bill
No no Bill, :) I covered the lifting thing enough times before that I figured I didn't need to type that out again. If you see that I was a bit redundant elsewhere, now you know why :D But thanks for pointing that out and no, as you know, I did not assume them to be the same thing.

Actually, what's really funny is, I did a calculation with a spreadsheet in Excel and applied 44XX horsepower that was stated above to a 210 grain bullet. Guess what the muzzle velocity of that projectile was?

LMAO, EIGHTY EIGHT MILLION SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND FEET per Second! It's gonna 3/5ths circunavigate the earth in 1 second!

Yowwzzzaaaaa! I don't think I can get that much powder into a WinMag! A good dose of uranium might not do it!

We aim east at the range here in PA. With good aim, that load might propel me to the Ohio range at Thunder Valley!

Folks, a big part of understanding these types of things is to relate one number to another known quantity and result and say, huh, that sounds like it could be right, or that doesn't seem like it adds up. Then go from there. When a quantity is off by 5 orders of magnitude, that should ring a bell with someone.

Let's consider how we could determine something is wrong without doing calculations and just using common sense.

How many have ever been to a Top Fuel Drag Race? Ok, you're standing in the stands (cause everyone has stood up to see) and the tree goes green. They light the candles on the cars. You and 6000 other people are hundreds of yards away, and the concussion blows ALL of you back in the stands and drives a shockwave through you that makes your heart skip and your hair blow back. The pressure against your chest physically moves you back. Keep in mind, this is only the residual energy LOST by applying 5000 HP TO THE CAR.

Now, my gun doesn't hit me that hard. So I say, it doesn't make that much horsepower for any appreciable time.

Mister when you talk about thousands of horsepower, that's a lot of horsepower.

With modern day dynamometer's, horsepower is a calculated value from the measured TORQUE and RPM.
<< HP = TORQUE * RPM / 5252 >>

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran
Head on over to Wikipedia and look at the explanations there for the various "Standards" of measuring HP and you will see that that torque calculation is nothing more than measuring the torque arm and then lifting the weight a measured distance over time.

Go man, go.

4 Mesh:
Go, man, go. You are on a roll, and I believe that you are right on track. I also have a BS degree in engineering (Metallurgical). I cannot find a flaw in your logic or execution.

One of the issues that I have trouble with is the application of the HP measurement to a rifle in general. HP is not a first-principles type of measurement, it's a derived unit that was originated to describe the ability of a machine to do work once performed by animals. HP is well suited to that type of comparison - a machine to a mule for example. People can understand that a 5HP lawn mower engine has an amount of power that is not to be trifled with, but is nothing like a 200HP Evinrude outboard engine, or a 5000 HP top fueler.

Since a rifle does not perform the type of work that we are accustomed to being able to see and estimate, it makes the HP value much less tangible, and in my opinion, less appropriate for use. We tend not to think of rifles as tools for performing mechanical work in the same way that we do for lawn mowers, outboard engines, or 500 cubic inch Hemi's. It seems to be a distortion of the original intent of HP measurements to apply them to something that is as instantaneous as a rifle shot.

SteveM.

I called a casual acquaintance of mine (It is a long story). He is Dr. Clamdunker who has some weird titles that mean the is the Dean of the School of Engineering at Texas A & M University or says he is.

If I may I would to paraphrase what he told me because, frankly, many of you would have trouble understanding his technical jargon. In simple english Dr. Clamdunker says that Mr. 4mesh and and me and those who agree with us are right and everyone else is wrong.

You can question me all you like, if you like, but you surely would not presume to question Dr. Clamdunker because he is real smart and knows a lot about horses and power and stuff.

Concho Bill

Just some thought ---

If RPM is not to be factored into a HP equation of a bullet in flight, then I would think that the standard equation for "Momentum" would be similar to a HP rating. Momentum (lbs/sec.) = W * V (@ target) / 225200

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Donovan,

You can't really use the V number at the target because that number assumes drag loss from the atmosphere. Remember, to calculate the net HP of the gun, you'd have to disclude that and remaining velocity would be the same as starting V less the 9.8m/s^2 loss of gravity since we're shooting straight up.

If you wish to also include the rotational energy created and generate a work number for that, you need to define a swing arm distance which will be only a portion of the .308 bullet dia before engraving, and that would be a rather difficult number to arrive at indeed.

With or without that figure included, the HP is not very much.

Bill, I'm sure that Dr. Clamdunker got a laugh out of my semantic errors but probably still got the idea of what I was saying. I have no doubt he's forgotten more about horses than I'm ever gonna know!

I know, we had one once that Id'a preferred to feed benzine! My sister long ago had one that was a barrel racer. She was cool and all but when my sister went away in the military I got to deal with the horse. I can tell ya that when she'd run the cows through the electric fence and go on walkabout around the neighborhood, we'd come gallop'n back and through the orchard, I got my first experience with 1 horsepower! She'd see a nice apple tree and say, "wow, that looks like a great spot for a U turn!" You'd be surprised how hard you hit a big apple branch when a 1 horsepower horse runs under a tree at relatively low velocity! :D:D Especially when she had to duck to miss the branch herself!

Back