Rifle: A machine rated in horsepower

...after 20 pages Vibe is entitled to a little pat on the back as he has been a very patient poster.
Waterboy

Lynn, Yes, Vibe is a patient poster and a good sport. He needs a pat on the back. He is a good sport and a thinking man. "Gladly would he teach and gladly would he learn." I cannot say enough good things about him and I will not say he is hard headed and just flat wrong. I am just better than that.:)

You are one of the good guys, Vibe.

Concho Bill

I suppose it is one of my failings. I really do enjoy helping someone else excel more than I like excelling myself. I really don't know how to handle success very well. But thanks guys.

A 2,000 horsepower kick in the shoulder? Come on.:cool:

Concho Bill
No. The rifle itself (barrel, action, stock) does not see anywhere near that much change in energy.

But even it will hit you harder than the seat of your 500hp Hemi when you drop the clutch. :D

I think I know Bill Wynne's problem. He hasn't grasped the fact that power is a RATE. When "horse" is added and it's no longer expressed in /sec units he forgets that horsepower is just "power" and is still ft-lb/sec. When a bullet is said to be capable of 2000 hp, he doesn't understand it is may be capable of this for only a very short TIME. It's like speed - when you say your car is doing 100 mph, it doesn't mean it is going to go 100 miles, or for that matter, that it will do 100 mph for an hour.

Everything is instantaneous - there 's no past or future - it's all NOW!

Last edited:
The views, the views....there's more than 10,000 views. Does that make this one of those "Big 'ol ugly threads"? Would Bill Calfee have problems wading through all the views?

:D

To Vibe...

I'm about to make it uglier. (well maybe sillier!)

you said:
But even it will hit you harder than the seat of your 500hp Hemi when you drop the clutch.

I'm not so sure - I come up with the Hemi applying a force about 5X to your whole body, as compared to what the gun applies to your shoulder. All based on your shoulder knocked back an inch or two in maybe a hundredth of a second, while the Hemi takes your whole body a few hundred feet in, say, 5 seconds.

No. The rifle itself (barrel, action, stock) does not see anywhere near that much change in energy.

But even it will hit you harder than the seat of your 500hp Hemi when you drop the clutch. :D

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I wonder where Sir Newton went wrong and why no one else has noticed in the last 400 or so years.

What I like about physics, after you get past all the math, is that it is so simple.:)

Concho Bill

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I wonder where Sir Newton went wrong and why no one else has noticed in the last 400 or so years.

What I like about physics, after you get past all the math, is that it is so simple.:)

Concho Bill
Geeze Bill. Power (and therefore HORSEpower) is a change in ENERGY per unit time. Newtons laws of motion deal in MOMENTUM. Momentum and energy are NOT the same. When shooting a rifle, momentum is conserved, energy is NOT.

No one ever even implied that the mV^2 of the bullet was in anyway related to the Mv^2 of the rifle. Least of all Newton. He knew better.

Last edited:
I'm about to make it uglier. (well maybe sillier!)

you said:
But even it will hit you harder than the seat of your 500hp Hemi when you drop the clutch.

I'm not so sure - I come up with the Hemi applying a force about 5X to your whole body, as compared to what the gun applies to your shoulder. All based on your shoulder knocked back an inch or two in maybe a hundredth of a second, while the Hemi takes your whole body a few hundred feet in, say, 5 seconds.
When your Cuda starts leaving bruises on your butt..THEN maybe you might have a point. You're right...That was sillier.:)

To Bill Wynne...

I'm not sure if you have "come around" or not. Your "action equal reaction" statement make me think you still think you get the same horsepower out of both ends of gun. (Vibe has explained why this is not true.) "Action" and "reaction" are names for FORCE not horsepower.

If you insist on thinking of recoil in terms of horsepower then you could if you wanted calculate the recoil horsepower of a 10 lb rifle firing our 200 gr bullet at 3000 fps. It's probably less than 125 hp. Does this seem reasonable to you?

If you insist on thinking of recoil in terms of horsepower then you could if you wanted calculate the recoil horsepower of a 10 lb rifle firing our 200 gr bullet at 3000 fps. It's probably less than 125 hp. Does this seem reasonable to you?
You may have hit upon the issue Pacecil. I had thought we had been using a 9lb rifle - which would have about a 15ft/sec recoil velocity - which would be 129 ft-lbs/sec of power..or 0.23HP. Notice how this is close to what Bill has been stating. I think he's been measuring the wrong end.

Back