Repairing front sight screw holes.

T

Tdaniel

Guys I need some advice.A family member recently bought a used Rem 700 at a local gunshow. Both front and rear sights had been removed.The problem lies at the front.Someone actually drilled the rest of the way through,into the bore, where the front sight screws would have been:mad:.The screw holes would now take about a size 10 screw to fill the holes,but they would have to be threaded first.

How would anyone here recommend repairing this? My thought would be to cut and recrown the barrel,and do without the sight,but he doesn't really want to shorten the barrel.If I rethread the holes for the bigger screws,and replace the front sight,would it be a safe repair? I do realize that the screws cannot extend into the bore,that would be a disaster. Any advice is appreciated.

Re-threading is not a good idea, IMHO. The resulting recesses in the bore would load up with copper. The new screws may hold the pressure, but the patch job would, in all safety fairness, have to be disclosed to the next buyer. If your friend is on a budget, use a hacksaw, square it up, and go with a brass screw lapping. Left as-is, the holes will help hold the muzzle down... ;-)
F1

Cut the barrel behind the holes, thread the barrel and install a muzzle brake. He may actually gain an inch of barrel length when the brake is added.

I think cut and crown is the way to go.He doesn't really want to do that,wants to maintain originality but those holes being down into the bore.....well I just don't like it.A possibility there would be alot of fouling gather there,and not sure there is really a way to keep it from doing that.I suppose if he still wants that sight on there,I could drill and tap new holes to mount the front sight back on.

Barrel Holes

I think cut and crown is the way to go.He doesn't really want to do that,wants to maintain originality but those holes being down into the bore.....well I just don't like it.A possibility there would be alot of fouling gather there,and not sure there is really a way to keep it from doing that.I suppose if he still wants that sight on there,I could drill and tap new holes to mount the front sight back on.

There are gas holes in AR barrels.....

It sounds like the guy won't be dissuaded from originality. Drill/tap 8-40(?), and screw the sight back on. Stay well behind him while he's shooting...
F1

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the customer's hang up on originality? This one could bite you in the butt
trying to do what the customer wants versus fixing it properly.

I have done work like the customer wanted and they always lay blame on me if
it does not work out, even after I advised them it was a bad idea.

Cut, crown, and reattach sight with original 6X48 screws.

You are right. He could even delay (probably indefinitely) the sight re-installation, since he will most likely be using a scope. I am REALLY curious about how/why those thtough-holes came about!
F1

It sounds like the guy won't be dissuaded from originality. Drill/tap 8-40(?), and screw the sight back on. Stay well behind him while he's shooting...
F1

Those holes are gonna have to be tapped 10-32.They are too big for 8-40.

You are right. He could even delay (probably indefinitely) the sight re-installation, since he will most likely be using a scope. I am REALLY curious about how/why those thtough-holes came about!
F1

I would like to know that myself.The holes were already drilled that way when he bought the gun.I have not a clue why they did that,never saw that before but I suppose there is a first time for everything.

When the drill broke through, did it hit the other side of the bore? Is it possible that the rifle was originally sightless? The large size of the holes is puzzling. Someone may have started to design a muzzle brake...
F1

When the drill broke through, did it hit the other side of the bore? Is it possible that the rifle was originally sightless? The large size of the holes is puzzling. Someone may have started to design a muzzle brake...
F1

Well the drill bit didn't hit the other side of the bore,so at least they didn't screw that part up,lol. The rifle had sights originally,still haven't figured out why they drilled through.As far as a muzzle brake,not sure,but the holes would be a little far back I would think.If I cut the barrel,he is gonna lose almost 2 inches of barrel.

Coppering?

I saw a comment above to the effect the barrel would copper if it was counter bored. Do muzzle brakes copper? Wouldn't that be roughly the same scenario? I have a friend who told me he once took a huge rust spot out of the muzzle area of a barrel by counter boring it and it shot beautifully after. He didn't take much out of it, he said. He has been "Smithing" for at least 60 years.

Thanks,

Pete

Back