Repairing front sight screw holes.

I saw a comment above to the effect the barrel would copper if it was counter bored. Do muzzle brakes copper? Wouldn't that be roughly the same scenario? I have a friend who told me he once took a huge rust spot out of the muzzle area of a barrel by counter boring it and it shot beautifully after. He didn't take much out of it, he said. He has been "Smithing" for at least 60 years.

Thanks,

Pete

If I counterbore the barrel,it should not foul there.I would like to counterbore the barrel,but the owner says it will sit in a safe,so it won't be shot probably.But I will shoot it before it leaves my hands. To my knowledge,brakes don't copper,because they don't actually contact the bullet,but they do have fouling buildup.If I am wrong about that,someone please correct me,I don't do much with brakes.

No I haven't shot the gun.I am not sure what the result will be.It will foul in that area you can bet,but not sure how bad.

not all AR barrels foul at gas port..... people on here have drilled them with no regard for lands or grooves ( as I suspect ALL are ) and they have shot good.......

I would properly fit a new or used barrel to the action...my preference being new. A damaged barrel is a perfect excuse to make an accurate rifle.

I would properly fit a new or used barrel to the action...my preference being new. A damaged barrel is a perfect excuse to make an accurate rifle.

I said the same thing,and that would be my preference.But the gun doesn't belong to me,and the owner doesn't want to do that,so.........

not all AR barrels foul at gas port..... people on here have drilled them with no regard for lands or grooves ( as I suspect ALL are ) and they have shot good.......

I am hoping the same result with this barrel,but these holes are a lil bigger than a gas port,so I suppose I will be finding out!

My coppering comment referred to recessed, plugged screw holes, not a counterbore. Gas-tap holes tend to self-clean. The owner could simply sell the rifle, rather than store it in a safe. Those holes will have to be dealt with at some point. Just my 2 cents!
F1

Something sounds fishy here.....who would buy a Rem 700 at a gun show and want it restored so it could sit in a safe......for Pete's sake its a 700! who gives a crap!

Back