Remington 700 SPS out of box MOA

M

Matt700

Hello everyone. I have a question for ya. I have a friend who has been telling me that no 700 sps shoots .7 moa out of the box. Now heres my arguement to that: my factory 700 BDL 30-06 will shoot .61 moa. Does anyone else have a factory 700 that will shoot .7 or better?

Some do. Handloading can improve the accuracy of most. I currently have a Rem 700 in .308 that shoots sub .5 MOA (Agg) with handloads. I bore scoped it and it has an exceptional throat, bore and crown for a factory rifle. - nhk

Last edited by a moderator:
The .61 that I shot with the 700 BDL was 100 yards from bags on a bench. Using Winchester .30-06 Ballistic Silvertip 150 gr.

700 groups

Well I had a 222 700 bdl that shot .6 five shot groups out of the box unmodified with hand loads. After I glass bedded the action, floated the barrel and had the trigger conversion done with it set to 8oz it dropped to .3 moa.

That 222 is now at the smiths getting the same treatment the 25/06 received some time ago. The action sleeved, HV fluted barrel fitted and a hunter style McMillan stock. Varmints look out.

As a friend the late Sid once told me. 1 shot is a hole in a piece of paper. Two shots through the same hole is a fluke. Three shots is just a coincidence. 4 shots means the person responsible probably knows what they are doing and 5 shots or more confirms the later.
Andy.

The new SPS's are unbelievable. I've been close party to almost a dozen of them in the last couple yrs in 300WSM, I'm reloading for different folks' rifles, and have come to EXPECT under 1moa accuracy. I still warn everyone about 'expectations' but these suckers can SHOOT as long as you keep them from bouncing off their tupperware forends.

al

al,

You're not supposed to badmouth products.

Tupperware makes (or maybe made) a great compartmentalized box that would take blocks, screws & triggers in the bitty compartments & scope rails, firing pins, springs & the like in the long ones - and the plastic lid was the right type to mix epoxy on & pop the residue off when it set.

John

I have a Remington 700 SPS chambered in 30-06 that I bought within the last 6 months. The best 3 shot group I have shot with reloads is .79". I have shot several groups under 1" with reloads.

I have shot very few factory loads through this gun. The factory loads I have shot through it have all grouped between 1" and 1.5"

I am still trying to perfect my loads and trying different powders, bullets, cases, and seating depth.

I must say I am NOT a fan of the X-Mark trigger.

Thats a good rifle keep it. I minute is all that should be expected. It should be a great hunting rifle.
I had a 700 bdl years ago in 30/06 that was a keepr . It shot.500 at 100 with handloads.
To get there though I had to get the action glass beded and the barrel chanel relieved.
you have a good one.

I'm glad to hear some are happy, I have a new SPS in .223 and the best with handloads so far is around 1.5". It's very irratic.

Now before everyone jumps on me, hear is the list of what has been tried or modified, I have not pillar bedded it yet but I'm thinking it will help the most.

1. Jewell HVR trigger
2. Three scopes- B&L 4200 8x32 variable, Leupold 36x and Leupold 45X
3. Removed front stock pressure after 75rds.
4. Bullets - V-max, Berger MEF 52gr, Barts 52
5. Cases - Laupua
6. Loaded round runout - .0015
7. Primer - Fed 205 (two lots)
8. Powders - H4198, H4895, Old 8208 166167, VV135, 8208 122910

This is the most aggrivating rifle I have owned in the last 20 years. It's about to drive me nuts. I have about 400rds down it now and nothing improves it. As soon as the weather breaks, I'll try again.

Hovis

This is the most aggrivating rifle I have owned in the last 20 years. Hovis

Have you bore scoped it? Pay attention to the crown. I believe that is a 1:12 twist and I've always had good luck with 55 gr Sierra HPBT GameKing bullets with 0.015" jump, 26.0 grs Varget, and Fed 205M primers in 1:12 barrels.

- nhk

The new SPS's are unbelievable. I've been close party to almost a dozen of them in the last couple yrs in 300WSM, I'm reloading for different folks' rifles, and have come to EXPECT under 1moa accuracy. I still warn everyone about 'expectations' but these suckers can SHOOT as long as you keep them from bouncing off their tupperware forends.

al

Al, have you ever bedded one of them Tupperware stocks? or stiffened the fore end? I have bedded with Marine Tex and it appears to be holding. I have been kicking the idea of stiffening the fore end with threaded rod and Marine Tex....

and yes they sure bounce. I have a Rem 700 Youth model .243 and man does it bark....... and kick up a fuss.

I have an older 222 Remington 700 BDL and a 221 Fireball LVSF. Both rifles shoot sub MOA with handloads, a little floating, bedding and trigger work.

Hovis, have you tried using some high quality factory ammo? or only handloands?

Al, have you ever bedded one of them Tupperware stocks? or stiffened the fore end? I have bedded with Marine Tex and it appears to be holding. I have been kicking the idea of stiffening the fore end with threaded rod and Marine Tex....

and yes they sure bounce. I have a Rem 700 Youth model .243 and man does it bark....... and kick up a fuss.

Yes.

We've perfected the system of running a 24" drill bit in through the front, punching two holes clear back to the recoil lug then stuffing in various things from AL stock to 5/16 allthread and epoxying the whole shebang full up with Simpson ET epoxy. This makes the forend stiffer but doesn't fix the magwell area, kinda just transfers the flex back. So then you fill in the magwell, the gun's gaining some poundage now, and it shoots perty good, singleshot :)

IMO the cheapest answer is to buy a Hogue overmolded stock with full length bedding block.

al

Hovis KM,

Have you tried partial length resizing, holding back your resizer about 0.040"-0.050"? If it shoots, you might have found the problem.

The cheap SPS stocks are not worth doing anything to... I think the factory made them to simply wrap around the metal, action and barrel. I fiddled with a few of them and now tell my customers to shoot them as they come from the factory or replace them, paying me to glass and float isn't worth it... replace the stock...

I'm glad to hear some are happy, I have a new SPS in .223 and the best with handloads so far is around 1.5". It's very irratic.

Now before everyone jumps on me, hear is the list of what has been tried or modified, I have not pillar bedded it yet but I'm thinking it will help the most.

1. Jewell HVR trigger
2. Three scopes- B&L 4200 8x32 variable, Leupold 36x and Leupold 45X
3. Removed front stock pressure after 75rds.
4. Bullets - V-max, Berger MEF 52gr, Barts 52
5. Cases - Laupua
6. Loaded round runout - .0015
7. Primer - Fed 205 (two lots)
8. Powders - H4198, H4895, Old 8208 166167, VV135, 8208 122910

This is the most aggrivating rifle I have owned in the last 20 years. It's about to drive me nuts. I have about 400rds down it now and nothing improves it. As soon as the weather breaks, I'll try again.

Hovis

I guess bedding is next. I bedded my one and only Rem 700 (in .17 Remington) before I started serious load development. I think it helped. First ground hog I shot with it was at 230 yards or so off sticks.

Personal Opinion (minority report):

I confess as time goes on I've become less and less a fan of Remington's 700 action. I know there are jillions of them out there, lots have won matches all over the world, they've been used as sniper rifles by the military for decades and still are, but that said, the more I learn about them, the less I like them. I've about decided there are a lot of parts and tools for them for two reasons, they need them, and they are easy to work on because they are round. I find the fact that the safety doesn't lock the bolt when it's engaged to be a major flaw in a hunting rifle that is sling carried over the left shoulder. I've tried carrying it slung on my right shoulder but it just doesn't work for me. About the third time I found the bolt open and the cartridge missing I was willing to throw it away. I don't know if this flaw has been fixed on new ones or not. If it hasn't, shame on Remington.

When I go looking for a new rifle, Remintgon has gone from my want list to no better than 4th choice in a competative field of rifles for sale.

What do I like better? Well made Mauser derrived actions with the safety in the bolt, Winchester Model 70 for example (as long as it doesn't interfere with the scope), second, mauser derrived actions with the safety not in the bolt (CZ527 for example), and a distant third, Savage actions because of the floating bolt head (which obviates the need to sleeve the bolt) and they are easy to work on.

YMMV of course, and probably does.

Fitch

Back