Reloading Presses

Tubb says he can hold 5" at a 1000 with a sling, is that him or the loaded 6 xc rounds? or all the above? I will tell you 5" groups in 1000 yd. BR.you will find you targets in the box or a pile with a rock on it, not hanging on the board……… jim

I sent him an email through that very form before I started this thread.

It's a myth, as far as I can determine.

I dont think its a myth. He used to have advertisements when he sold prometheus scales. I think he sold dillons already modified ready to go. I have seen a picture i know

Phone #

Just got off the phone with Tubb Precision. Why not call him Jammer ? The # is above.

Dusty; Your link is 404

Last edited:
I own one of each press. You cant use any tall dies in it and cant use any die that has to get close to the base unless you use regular shellholders- then you have a cumbersome press that doesnt work any better than a $79 rcbs partner

actually I use

the rcbs partner press with good results. It's not in the press, it's the die that counts.

Richard Brensing

I own one of each press. You cant use any tall dies in it and cant use any die that has to get close to the base unless you use regular shellholders- then you have a cumbersome press that doesnt work any better than a $79 rcbs partner

Really? What tall dies are used in bench rest? If they don't size enough you cut the die off the same as any press that hits the shell holder. I have almost zero run out with a coax and that is better than the lee cast press some make bullets on. The A2 was the only press that did not flex and almost zero run out……… jim

In precision shooting, the shooter is looking for specific things in his loading equipment.

Proper sizing, consistent seating depth, and straightness of the finished round.

Any press/die combination that achieves this is a good setup.

How many of you actually check your rounds, or do you just rely on your equipment to do the job correctly?

I actually do check runout on things. Ive found like jackie did years ago, a wore out partner press makes as good as any. Its all in the dies from what ive found. A sloppy press lets your dies do their job with no influence.

I've read on the net that several noted folks, including the U.S. Palma team and David Tubbs use Dillons. However, I've never found or read any definitive posts from any of those folks claiming that's so.

So, first, I'm interested in reading links to anything they wrote saying they use Dillons, and second, I'd be interested in knowing how heavily they modified their Dillons to use them for long range.

Given that it seems to be an accepted fact that long range requires single stage presses, I'm surprised at the claims, and would like to find out the truth.

As noted previously, Dillons are not commonly used for loading benchrest ammo. David Tubb (no "s") uses one for loading good quality ammo for highpower. The US Palma Team has used 550s and 650s for loading practice ammo. Other members of the LR community use progressives for loading their ammo as well

Common modifications to Dillon presses for loading LR ammo involve tinkering with or changing the powder metering system to achieve more uniform results. Whether the change involves a different measure (i.e., Redding or Prometheus), or measuring the powder charge on the press (using a visual indicator system) depends on the intended goals and the volume of ammo required. For Palma '92 (held in Raton, NM), all the ammo was loaded on 550s. However, only ammo for the Long Range Team Match (16 shooter teams, 3x 45 rounds/shooter/day for score, + 6 additional sighters/day) was loaded using the visual indicator system. People may use toolheads from other manufacturers for improved uniformity as well - see the linked article to Scott Harris' post on another forum for an example.

Additional mods may include surface ground shellplates (more uniform results between stations), and modifying the primer seater (producing a "rounded" head instead of flat - supposed to help with consistency of ignition in machine guns).

Would have to look at Nancy Tompkins' book (available online at http://rifleshootingbynancy.com/ if it can't be found in shooting supply stores) to see if the loading rig for Palma '92 is discussed. (Author of the loading section is Middleton Tompkins, who greatly aided in developing and testing the ammo.) Believe Glenn Zediker discussed loading ammo in one of his books as well ( http://www.zediker.com/books/handloading/hlmain.html ).

Hope this helps.

Asa

I was referring to any micrometer top die jim. Whidden, redding, forster, etc.

I don't use any kind of a micrometer die including a seater die for a arbor press I never seen the need, shims on the seater die and nothing on the sizer die. As i mentioned before i do check run out in each stage of loading, if there is a problem i want to address it. I don't carry a press with me like short range, don't have time to load at a match. You are lucky to have time to clean. .. jim

JammerSix I dont have an answer to your question but would like to talk to you about where you shoot. I am in Tacoma and shoot BR but know a few shooters that you might interested in speaking with or you may even shoot with them.
PM me if you care to chat
Matt

Jammer Six,

As you may already know, John Whidden is one of the premier long range highpower prone shooters in the country. The last I heard, he loads on a Dillon, though he uses a lab grade scale to weigh powder charges. You can read an article about it, including a photo of his setup, here: http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek059/

The pertinent part of the article for present purposes is as follows:

"For most of my reloading I de-cap, full-length size, prime, and seat bullets with a Dillon progressive press. However, I’ve removed the Dillon powder measure and replaced that with a funnel. I throw the charges with an RCBS UniFlow, then trickle to 0.1 grain, and weigh each charge with a Denver Instrument APX-200, a milligram lab scale. Once I’m satisfied with the charge, I pour it through the funnel into the re-sized case. Then the loading procedure returns to progressive mode."

John is a mechanically-oriented guy who also operates a gunsmithing and shooting products business. He makes and sells toolheads for the Dillon, though I have not used them. See http://www.whiddengunworks.com/products/.

I've never met John but I know several people who have, and everyone says he's a very nice guy. His website has contact info and I bet he'd give you information about his setup if you contact him.

I regret that this thread got a little off track. I load for both short range benchrest and mid-range and long range highpower, and would be glad to answer whatever other questions you might have, to the best of my limited ability. Feel free to email me at drabin55 {at} cs.com.

Dave Rabin

Back