Reloading Presses

You may get away with a progressive loader, for F class. I don't think the powder measures is up to the task, I did some good loading on one for an AR. using 8208 and Harrells measure mount separate from the press to reduce the vibration. Now to use and load a sub .1 gun, it won't happen. BR. at 600 and 1000 is just to demanding 1/4 min.+ loading and i feel the same for F class if you want are on top of the game…….. you can't leave anything on the table…….. jim

Jammer - Pretty sure you just need somebody to say it's OK. As it turns out, jim1K knows what he's talking about. I ain't sayin that the others don't but rather I do know that jim1K has successfully shot long range. I think he's telling you to use something other than the progressive loader to ensure success (loading) but I'm not certain.

Ok one more time.
You are talking to the wrong people about the wrong subject.
Go do an NRA american rifleman article search.
The ammo for the 90/91 palma match was loaded on dillon presses.
800/900/1000 yards, 7.62x51 with 155 gr bullets.

But again it aint benchrest.

You never defined type of shooting.

Jammer - Pretty sure you just need somebody to say it's OK. As it turns out, jim1K knows what he's talking about.

Actually, I was all set to buy the 650 when I heard that no one uses them for long range. Then I heard that wasn't true, that some very well known people used them to load for matches. Tubbs has been mentioned, but that claim remains unsubstantiated.

So my intention is to buy a single stage, but I thought I'd ask exactly the questions I asked in my first post: if anyone had links to those people about their Dillons. As the thread went on, it occurred to me to ask if any of you guys used Dillons for benchrest, and it became clear that none of you do.

Meanwhile, I resisted the urge to cross post this thread to the thread asking why new people aren't joining benchrest shooting.

You are right in a way about why new people aren't joining Benchrest. You just have to have thick skin.
When a new guy and I am one. When you ask a question and the answer isn't what you want to hear and you don't want to hear it. Then the new guy has to be thick skinned enough to take what's coming if he continues on

When they share their hard earned experience you have to listen even if it's not what you want to hear

Not once had you said you were interested in LONG RANGE BENCH REST.
Never.
You were asked multiple times, no reply.

g david tubbs does not shoot BENCH REST.

It really works best, when you ask a specific question, not
a generality.

there are several long range br clubs in the northwest.

After all this drama, my original questions stand.

In spite of everyone's attempt to troll and distract, none of you have answered them. It's clear to me that some of you didn't read the questions, that some of you wanted to talk about the things you wanted to talk about rather than try to answer my questions.

Rather than assume the new guy is wrong, listening to the questions they ask, and answering them, (as opposed to the answering the questions you hear, or, even worse, the question you want to answer) would greatly benefit your sport.

It doesn't make any difference to me. If I want to shoot long range, bench rest or rainbow guns, all are available to me near Seattle.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new press.

I've read on the net that several noted folks, including the U.S. Palma team and David Tubbs use Dillons. However, I've never found or read any definitive posts from any of those folks claiming that's so.

So, first, I'm interested in reading links to anything they wrote saying they use Dillons, and second, I'd be interested in knowing how heavily they modified their Dillons to use them for long range.

Given that it seems to be an accepted fact that long range requires single stage presses, I'm surprised at the claims, and would like to find out the truth.

The truth is tubb used one to prove it can be done. He doesnt shoot benchrest so he doesnt require the precision. His dillon press was modified with the precision toolhead i mentioned and to solve the other issue he mounted a prometheus scale there to handle the powder. He did this to prove that he could load competition rounds on it but whats not said is that he doesnt shoot benchrest so precision to him is like what a dillon can do stock. So if you require sling shooting accuracy or are loading for a 500yd hunting rifle you can put $3k plus into a dillon and load 2moa rounds. With the precision benchrest requires jesus couldnt load our ammo on a dillon and win. So if you like to tinker, grab one and do the mods that are well known and get you some ammo- maybe youll be able to figure out the next weakest link and improve it more. David tubb is top of his game but that game isnt benchrest. Just the same as taking loading advice from byron furguson on his favorite br loads- it just aint the same.

Lets look at the cost, a 650 + a tool head and the prometheus scale. these are your major investments. Compare that to a coax press and a A&D120i scale and a 21st century hyd. seater Dies are a wash for both. The second is proven to shoot in 2" at 1000 yds now you can make your own decision. I like the red one over the 650 myself but would i go to a match with rounds i loaded with it? never happen……… jim

I have never shot in any firearm competition( only archery) but have been thinking of giving it a go. I currently have a co-ax press. What are most BR shooters using for a press? Any special tips would be greatly appreciated....

I'm an old shooter and been reloading for 50+ years, but new to precision benchrest. Most BR shooters are using an arbor press and Wilson or other custom dies. They have the entire reloading "kit" in a box that they take to the range and load there so they can adjust for the conditions.

I am using a Harrell's press with threaded dies as this is what my BR gunsmith (Dusty Stevens) has had the custom dies made for my gun.

Just an FYI, I think the 21st Century primer seater is very very nice and probably THE primer seater to use.

I did pretty good with a relatively cheap (at the time) RCBS. I think it was an RCBS Jr but I'll go dig it out if necessary. I believe Bart Sauter and/or Billy Stevens used a co-ax press once upon a time. Thing is, you don't need a large press but rather something that will size the case and knock out the old primer. If you can get your hands on one of those Hood presses you would be good to go.....forever. I haven't fired a shot in many years and there may be a better press out there somewhere for those that FL size. The smaller the better as long as it does what you need to do...and does it easily. If you have a press such as the Hood press, you can leave your arbor press at home as well.

All that said, here's the deal. Reloading your cases can be done with any equipment you choose from a simple Wilson setup to such as the Hood press. The end result is the same - loaded cases.

Your claim that the original question stands, proves a couple of things.
One, you do not read well.
Two,you still do not understand that shooting 1000 yard benchrest is not the same as shooting 1000 yard cmp/dcm/nra.

We tried to help, you chose to not provide answers to our questions, so there are no answers for you.

I am done wasting my time with you.

QUOTE=Jammer Six;767791]After all this drama, my original questions stand.

In spite of everyone's attempt to troll and distract, none of you have answered them. It's clear to me that some of you didn't read the questions, that some of you wanted to talk about the things you wanted to talk about rather than try to answer my questions.

Rather than assume the new guy is wrong, listening to the questions they ask, and answering them, (as opposed to the answering the questions you hear, or, even worse, the question you want to answer) would greatly benefit your sport.

It doesn't make any difference to me. If I want to shoot long range, bench rest or rainbow guns, all are available to me near Seattle.[/QUOTE]

Tubbs contact info

Here ya go Jammer. Give him a ring and get it straight from the horses mouth. Get back to us with his answer.

Search Results
Contact Us - David Tubb Accuracy & Precision Gun Parts
www.davidtubb.com/index.php?route=information/contact
Our Location. Address: David Tubb Accuracy and Precision Gun Parts 800 N 2nd St Canadian, TX 79014. Telephone: 806-323-9488 ...

Joe P.
Phoenix Az.

Last edited:
Back