Recoil Question for an expert

"commen since"?

have i said in the past that a computer is only as smart as the person putting info into it, and a phd makes a person book smart. commen since is so underated to somebody with a phd in bull$hit, and makes normal people so much smarter who use it.
Even people with COMMON SENSE CAN BE EXPECTED TO SPELL CORRECTLY.
I work in very close proximity with at least two HOT S$$T gentlemen with PhD's. They drink beer, heat hot peppers and my chili. The world is full of highly educated people who are in posession of common sense and logic. This planet is also populated by many uneducated every day people who posess none of the above.

LASER

I have non of the above, and can't spell orth a darn.
And sorry to say I have some higher education.

Vibe, add the reverse force from accelerating the firing pin forward too. It may be insignificant, but maybe not. Dont forget to accelerate half the spring weight and the cocking piece too. Depending on friction amounts,the gun may start to move back before firing. I bet the friction coefficient is damn low on a one piece rest with delrin on the contacts. Maybe .1 or so.

Vibe, add the reverse force from accelerating the firing pin forward too. It may be insignificant, but maybe not. Dont forget to accelerate half the spring weight and the cocking piece too. Depending on friction amounts,the gun may start to move back before firing. I bet the friction coefficient is damn low on a one piece rest with delrin on the contacts. Maybe .1 or so.

What's the mass of the spring, firing pin and cocking piece - or weight. I would imagine that these factors are not of great significance in rifle recoil. But there's that other matter I was working on also. Left off the mass of the cocking piece.

There is no correlation between good shooting and good spelling. Misspelling is never mentioned on this Website. It is in bad taste.

Apologies, however, will be accepted.

Concho Bill

40X type parts, 1.5 oz for pin, .3 oz for spring, .3 oz for cocking piece. You may also want to figure in the trigger pull force that would be a DC offset, but will help overcome the stock friction. I would use 4 oz for the trigger pull as I am sure there is more than the trigger break force required, as most people wont hit it with just the right amount and will have overpull in the rear position.

Food for Thought.
Shoot a 3 shoot group free recoil.
Put a cement block 1/10 inch behind the butt and shoot 3 more shots at the same group.
Since the bullet has hit the target before the butt hit the cement block there should be no change????
I bet there was - if so why??

The "change" is an assumption. Actually, there is no more change than would normally occur sans the block.

Wilbur,
If what you and Vibe say is true then most of the shooters I know (including myself) will have to rethink their game.
Especially if this is “Interference with bench technique.” Whatever the heck that means?

Wilbur,
If what you and Vibe say is true then most of the shooters I know (including myself) will have to rethink their game.
Especially if this is “Interference with bench technique.” Whatever the heck that means?
If you can reach around a large brick and it does not interfere with your technique - you might need to rethink your technique anyway. :D Either that or teach some of us that secret method.

Vibe,
I am relatively new to this game and always ready to learn. I always like to know who is giving advice and what their experience level is. Possibly you cold enlighten this forum with a name and experience level.
Why not even plan to come to the Crawfish so you can all us new guys some lessons?
I plan to go a day ahead of time and practice my cement block bench technique.
It could be interesting as well as informative.
Doug

"Bench technique" is an excuse for missed shots that were destined to miss as early as when the bullet was crimped at the bullet factory...or when the barrel steel was still hot.

"Bench technique" is an excuse for missed shots that were destined to miss as early as when the bullet was crimped at the bullet factory...or when the barrel steel was still hot.

That could be true Wilbur, but I look at in the same manner that "Cheek weld" is used in position shooting. The manner that you interact with the rifle needs to be as dead consistent as possible.

Momentum is conserved, this is a fundamental physical law. This means M*V of the bullet will equal M*V of the rifle. Distance is the time integral of velocity and integrating V on both sides we have M*D of the bullet equals M*D of the rifle. Multiplying both sides by G you have Wbullet * Dbullet = Wrifle * Drifle. Solving for Drifle = (Wbullet * Dbullet) / Wrifle, D being the distance traveled at any moment. Solving, Drifle =((40/7000) * 24) / 10.5, 40 being the bullet weight in grains, 24 the barrel length in inches, 8 the rifle weight in pounds. Under these conditions the rifle moves about 0.013 when the bullet moves 24 inches. This does not take into account the momentum of the powder gasses. You could assume that when the bullet had moved 24 inches the average distance of the powder had moved 12 inches and account for the power's momentum. These results are independent of friction, time, pressure, independent of anything but MV or MD as the case may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suwannee Tim
There is about 2 to 2.5 grains of powder in a rimfire case, and like you mentioned it's velocity before the bullet exits is 1/2 that of the bullet. Any motion due to the firing pin and cocking piece moving 0.25" and spring moving 0.125" is going to simply be that distance that the center of gravity, of the whole rifle, is moved - which will be very little - if at all considering the small masses and forces involved. A Teflon taped stock against a leather bag front and rear - with a coefficient of friction at 0.04 - no force under 6 or 7 ounces will make the rifle slide at all.

Last edited:
Vibe, I thought your mention of friction referred to the friction of the bullet in the barrel. My assumption was that the rifle is magically floating and completely free to move.

That could be true Wilbur, but I look at in the same manner that "Cheek weld" is used in position shooting. The manner that you interact with the rifle needs to be as dead consistent as possible.

Could not be true as well but I've gone to some extremes within the same group and it didn't make any difference. I figure that if I'm the only one not worried about getting it the same every shot that gives me something.

Vibe, I thought your mention of friction referred to the friction of the bullet in the barrel. My assumption was that the rifle is magically floating and completely free to move.

I've been told that Vaughn or Hatcher actually did suapend a rifle by wires and tested this effect. But I was simply looking at whether the firing pin drop would move the rifle or not. Got a surprise today though - turns out that while the rifle may not move rearward much during firing - it may also lift out of the bags before the shot leaves the bore, or at least no longer be pushing down.

Back