really confused

E

Exuberance

AR15 is M4?If not, what's the difference?:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Without typing for the next 2 days about the different m16/m4/ar15 variants, the basic difference is that the m4 is the military's current select fire carbine (14.5 or 16" barrel) while the ar15 is the civilian semi auto counterpart. That said, the term ar15 encompasses a literal boatload of rifles.

Last edited:
A little History

A R ,,, Armalite Rifle ,, That was the Original Manufacturer ,, I own an AR10A2-308 Manufacturer- Armalite , Nice

Image result for define ar 15en.wikipedia.org
The modern sporting rifle, based on the AR-15 platform, is widely misunderstood. ... The AR in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.”

The M-4 is the Military version as Josh said

Last edited:
M4 also has a grenade launcher under the rifle barrel

M4's are grenade launcher capable. The Launcher is called a M203. The M203-40mm only fits certain M series weapons like the M4 that has the Grenade Launcher relief cut in the barrel. Usually in my experience the whole assembly then becomes know as the M203 once it's attached to the M4. The barrel relief is what characterizes the M4 from a M16 and AR carbine.

BTW, In order to kee the tacticools economy afloat there are AR's being marketed, as "M4's", and 37mm "FLARE launchers are available to top off your fax pas M203.

Last edited by a moderator:
An unrelated side, I chose a rifle with a grenade launcher attached in Vietnam. I didn't need it because I was a cook but I ordered cool stuff and the supply guys would give me anything I wanted. That said, it was a horrible rifle to carry. It was heavy, off balance and I couldn't see why anybody would want to carry that thing...but keep in mind I was a cook and didn't carry it all day. I traded it in for a regular old rifle as soon as I got the chance. It's amazing what you can have if you keep a couple of conex boxes full of sundry packs...ready to go at a moments notice. Nobody had that many sundry packs! There was a carton of Camel cigarettes in every box and when I came home I left 300+ cartons in my hooch. The customs guys took the 25 cartons I had in my duffle bag....wait...they let me keep 5 cartons.

Wilbur if you were in the bush you would have appreciated that 40mm on the M4
That said bbq roast water buffalo was the real meal of the day with plenty of hot sauce'

Wilbur if you were in the bush you would have appreciated that 40mm on the M4
That said bbq roast water buffalo was the real meal of the day with plenty of hot sauce'

Did you guys pay papasan for his beast of burden?

Last edited:
Again, I was a cook...but I didn't eat anything others cooked and there was no water buffalo involved. I suppose if somebody had hauled one in to cook I woulda cooked it. With Thanksgiving day upon us, I'll tell this story. We got about 35 turkeys to cook for Thanksgiving and to this day I don't know why because all we had to cook them on was 8 or so of those glorified camp stoves and a couple of electric ovens. I went to supply and wangled a big pile of those green t-shirts (new ones) and dressed those turkeys in army green, buttered them up and cooked them. I never made cornbread dressing before so I had to figure out the seasoning and finally nailed it. I'll make this shorter than intended and say it was the best we could do given the equipment and I was proud to do it. All that written just to say this....nobody ate a freakin' bite. There's something about being in a foreign country, against your will, on Thanksgiving day that kills your appetite. The same thing happened on Christmas day except somebody got mad and started a fight such that we had to lock up the mess hall and hide out for the day. The guys that started the fight came by to apologize and we all agreed, together, that no apology was necessary.

I was sitting on a folding chair a month or so later in front of 5 or 6 officers for my Spec-5 promotion. They asked a few questions that I couldn't answer and made it pretty hard on me for a few minutes. I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to get the promotion and then one of them asked who cooked that Thanksgiving dinner. I answered that we all did but he knew the others were too doped up to cook anything and said that in so many words. One of them asked for the cornbread dressing recipe and had me write it down. Go figure!

LOl Lol great story''
typical GI,s drunk and having a bad, sad day'.
The holidays always hit us hard.

I have no use

for these dern AR rifles. We were issued them in 1964 ( Air Force) and I could not then and can not now abide the sound of that dern spring twanging in my ear and besides that, they aren't really a real rifle.

Want to see a real rifle and the one the military should have bought? Go to the Arms Museum in Cody Wyoming. In the display window to the left as one walks in there are two Winchester scaled up M-1 carbines that were made for the trials that Armalite won. Those are real rifles, with wooden stocks and real receivers, etc..

I have a pristine Inland M-1 that shoots particularly well, for an M-1 carbine. I don't see any reason why a stretched version would not have worked at least as well.

Winter fun, eh?

Pete

They did have real rifle at least for a while the M14 '

The kiddies complained that it was too hard to shoot and it kicked too much.

It was standard issue for the US army in the 60,s then a certain General [wanted a replacement for The carbine.

along came the stoner rifle ar10 in i think 270 cal and finally reduced in size to the AR series '

The Marines refused to take up with the M16 and kept the M14 as long as they could,

Funny you should mention that.

for these dern AR rifles. We were issued them in 1964 ( Air Force) and I could not then and can not now abide the sound of that dern spring twanging in my ear and besides that, they aren't really a real rifle.

Pete

At lunch today the subject of that noise from the AR came up and one of our service rifle shooters said that there is an easy fix for that. He said to take the spring out, put some axle grease in your hand, run the spring over it. After re-installing the spring, no more twang. I haven't tried it yet but I've got six AR's to build and I'll give it a go on the first one.

They did have real rifle at least for a while the M14 '

The kiddies complained that it was too hard to shoot and it kicked too much.

It was standard issue for the US army in the 60,s then a certain General [wanted a replacement for The carbine.

along came the stoner rifle ar10 in i think 270 cal and finally reduced in size to the AR series '

The Marines refused to take up with the M16 and kept the M14 as long as they could,

They also kept the Garand a long time. It was my issue rifle and I liked shooting it. On the other hand it's counterpart in the fire team was the Model 1918 Browning Auto.

I had to carry one during the one month basic infantry course at Camp Pendleton.

If the Garand weighed 9/10 pounds the Browning had to weigh close to 20, counting all the 20 round magazines you had to pack.

I wish I had bought a Garand when they were first made available to the public.

Mort

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry to say it but you should have. At that time mine cost $85.00 and was spotless and still shoots like a dream.

Okay, I'm jealous , but it's not the worst thing I've done regarding guns.

My big mistakes were letting gun's go I never should have.

My reasoning, that if I seldom shot it, and only brought it out to show someone who might appreciate it, was to sell it. Go get that Browning BT that you were sure would improve your trap score.

Don't have it anymore either.

Now I'm really depressed.

Thank's Jerry

Last edited:
The NRA helps with the certification so you can purchase one by helping with the course at the local ranges, that put on the qualifying course.
The second way is with your DD214 that shows you qualified in the service. plus some other paper work etc.

The CMP website has all of the iinformation. www.ODCMP .com

Back