really confused

Garands

Gerry
Thanks for the info,but I obviously missed the boat. I had no idea what they were going for....Some serious collectors out there that know what they want.

I was issued 4 or 5 Garands not counting the one in boot camp. I liked shooting them and never bitched about our yearly obligatory trips to the range. I never qualified below Sharp Shooter and was Expert my last two years. I pretty much sucked at offhand and knelling but did well at other positions and yardage. My favorite was the 500 yard prone.

We were told in 61 there would be a replacement rifle so they collected all ( or all most all ) of our bayonets and issued a non threatning version that would fit the Garand bayonet lug.

They had a lot more bayonets than new rifles, because I was never issued one until late 62 or early 63.

I didn't like it.....Plastic on the fore end, ugly magazine ....and inspection arms looked real sloppy.

I still have my bayonet...was made in 43

Mort

Last edited:
I think you would enjoy owning one again your well qualified .
check with the CMP I think you get by with a DD 214 like I did.
Right now stock is down but it will get better next year, they have complete rebuilds at time,s
From what i've heard the 1911 's will be available next year,
I guess you missed out on the M14,s that were issued the M16 is ok but it has some serious draw backs,

Garands

Gerry
Appreciate your feed back.

I would like to own a Garand . The problem is it would be stored in a safe and seldom if ever shot.

I have had three neck operations and I can't deal with recoil anymore. My varmint rifles are .222 and .223,and I can't shoot hot loads in the .223......even though it weighs 10 lbs.

I still enjoy long range shooting and I get plenty of it here in Idaho........Sage rats and Whistle Pigs. No complaints.

Have a Merry Xmas.

Mort

Last edited:
sorry to hear about your neck problems. I have a few myself but not as bad as yours/
have a Merry Christmas too'
Gerry

Back