proper way to cook a hamster

I have to agree with Larry Elliot about killing a pet. I don't at this time own a dog for the simple reason that the dogs I have had I actually thought more of them than most of the people I know. It is just too heart rending to lose a good pet.

The problem with most people is that they're not as good as dogs or as honest. If a dog likes you, you know it, if they don't you also know it. If a dog doesn't like a person it's probably a better judge of character than most people are.

Anyone visiting Texas should take in the annual Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup. The fried rattlesnake cuisine is kinda like eating hamster by proxy.

You won't make that mistake but once.

Hamsters is rats although puny by West Texas standards.

A guy a while back had him one a' them potbellied piggies...... problem was he lived in a 10th story apartment in the older section of the city, 'No Pets Allowed." One of his neighbors turned him in, Animal Control showed up with the landlord, gave him 2wks and goodbye piggie.....

He loved his pig.

He called his friends, he put it in the paper, he put it on Craigslist, he tried the vet and the Farmers Market and the local Yard-n-Garden stores and finally called the pound. No dice. Best offer, $200.00 to euthanize his pet.....

He called a butcher. Might as well salvage something from the dilemma.

Nope.

200 bucks and no meat??

hmmmm

Well, he ain't GOT no 200 bucks to euthanize his buddy and they won't give him the meat anyway, so he figures.....how hard can it be? (all of you who've butchered pigs know where this is going) So he goes to the library and finds a book on how to butcher a pig. OOOHHH Yeahhh, it's all in there. First line is simple, dispatch the animal, or if you want really prime meat knock it out with a pneumatic knocker and slit it's throat while it's alive so it bleeds out better.... but this can be messy. Hmmmmm........ well, he'll do the knocking out part, then decide. Big wakkk with a baseball bat and maybe a garbage bag over the head?? Dunno as how he can cut the throat.. .........He figures once the poor beast is out he can cross that bridge. He'll be ready either way. He's a Big City Boy, he can think on his feet.

He's a planner.

Meticulous.

Single, in the city.

Yeahh, he's a planner.

He fills his bathtub with boiling water,

he covers his apartment floor with 6mil visqueen,

(piggie doesn't like the plastic and goes off to putter in the kitchen)

he stacks up every towel and bowl and pan and pot he has on the kitchen table,

gets out the biggest kitchen knife and sets it close to hand, (gotta' bleed 'im out quick they all say)

And sets down to bid adieu to his best friend.

Riddles (pig's name is Riddles) has been his constant companion for almost two years. They're close. So he sets out his bedding box, wenches a cinder block from out the bookcase and puts a nice pillow out for his chinny-chin-chin. Then he carries Riddles in to his wee beddie-bye and sets down to share their f'rav'rite snack. Soon his baby is snoring gently, chin on the block just like the plan.

Time for the coup,

then the de gras as fits the occasion.

Baseball bat, he'll BANG him, then check for a pulse and "dispatch" him whilst he's inert. He kinda' hopes he's dead from the hit, that way the decision is made for him.

hoooooohhhhh.....

Well,

it's gotta be done!

WhaBAMMM!!!

!!!!!!!!

There's cinderblock everywhere, the beddie-bye-box is in the fireplace, everything in the room is converging on piggie who's RUNNING flatout but on his side spinning like a disoriented dervish and making a GAWdawful GOINGKGOINGOINGK chuffling noise......

WhaBAMMMM!!!!!!

WROONKKKKK!!!

ooops, that's his belly not his head

BaaaWHAMMMM!!!WHAMMWHAMMMMmmmmm

"hey, he's stopped spinning! Now he's on his belly looking right at me...... he must be stunned"

KuuhhRAKKKK! Top of the headbone.......

"WHEWWW!! his eyes went shut!! He MUST be out cold......"

"Now What?"

"guess I better just cut him big and be done, this just ain't nice at all and if I try to put a garbage bag over his head he'll probably wake up....and my aluminum bat is BENT!"

"Here we go boy, I'll just set down on your back and pull your head up and one quick slice righ"WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

reeeee, reeeee, reeeee

WWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The room stops spinning finally, only because Riddles is completely wound up in the visqueen...... the plastic is still rolling around wildly but at least the blood is no longer being flung about in gobbets, it's just blotting about now as the wad rolls.....and the noise is abated a little, muffled at least.

But someone's banging on the door.....

"Go Away!"

"BUT WHAT THE HE..."

"GO AWAY PLEASE!!!" I'm OK, my pi-KID just fell off the couch and .... hey! there's an idea.... I'll put the couch on top of the pile and hold him down until he bleeds out!"

"We're calling the cops!"

"Ohh, just go away...."

"We warned you!"

"awww shuddup"

ceasure....

So now the sofa is on the pig, the guy is on the sofa, and the whole surreal scene pauses....

for a minute...

Riddles is bleeding quietly but it's obvious he's not going to be bled out in time to clean up the apartment before the police knock on the door.....something's got to be done. If he can just get rid of the pig and swab things down a bit.... there's blood on the CEILING fer cryin' the blues......

uuuupppp with the sofa.....

"gooood little piggie-piggie"

"now if I just creep over here and open this window, it's ten stories down to the alley....."

Dude GRABS a hind le....RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeethump....

He leans out the window..........and there's piggie dragging out the alley toward the street.

nonononoNOO!!!

KICKS over the bookshelves, grabs up a cinder block and tries for a crushing blow. 10ft off. AIN'T gonna happen!

Grabs another cinder block and downaroundaroundaround and down the stairs ten stories and around to the alley JUST in time to meet piggie....and thankfully head him back into the alley. So they're scurrying around in the alley and he finally gets in another glancing blowEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

"Hey buddy, you moiderin' someone down 'ere?"

"keep i' down"

'Hey me'n 'e ol' lady 'er tryin'a' get some time here..."

panic....

EEEEEEEEEE!!!!

He finally gets the pig collared up behind a couple dumpsters and stacks some more stuff up..... he ain't going nowhere soon.

But he also ain't dead.....

He's got a 32 pistol up in the bedroom. SOMEthing's gotta' be done quick! So back up the stairs aHUP-a HUP-a hup a hup aa ten stories... and back down.....

Of course piggy's pacing like a lioness by now, around and about the dumpsters, doesn't even seem bothered anymore by the cut on the neck and picking up speed despite a gimp leg and belly dragging.... "aim".... "acquire" ... "fi.." ......"aim"....."aim" ..... krak

krak krak

kraWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the way I heard it it was a relief to hear sirens. First thing the guy said before they booked him was "what took ya's so long!!! I musta' spent 3-4 hours with that screaming rodent!!"

He mighta' been better off with a hamster......

al

Good one Al,
One would have to almost have been there to be able to re-tell that story with such e'lan. Wouldn't they Al ?

Ya know Nader yo prolly rite.
Sounds like Ol Al done went roundy round with the piggy.....

lot of good calories in a rat & boil'm with ginger

Two true stories:

I used to eat lunch with a guy that had been a POW. When someone complained of the mess hall food, he had several good comments. "Lot of good calories in a rat!" "If you're lucky you get the soup with the worms in it!"

Many years later I was working with a pretty little chinese girl & I asked her about dog. She said that dog was good, she had it as a child. Then I asked her how to cook dog.... "boil it in ginger".

Some day my wife will be contributing to a church cook book & I'm going do donate the recipe, "Ole doc Mattson's boiled dog"....

Regards, Ron

If you've lived on/worked on a farm/ranch at all in your life you grow up knowing that the prize bull/top producing holstein/blue ribbon boar etc. ain't livin forever,and THEY sure as ell ain't gonna go to WASTE. They mean MORE than any store bought **** layer that I've ever known.

I certainly understand the reaction from some about eating pets. I have had my dog for 11 years now.
However nothing mentioned here is about eating your own or someone elses pet.... well except Al but then he is always an exception.
I grew up on the farm and raised a show animal like most kids there.
You learn not to look at it as a pet but just more food.
Id take rat over bagaoong any day.

Vibe I love kimchee.
Have several big jars in the fridge now.
Bagaoong is far far worse, at least for me.
Though there is some in the kimchee, the pepper helps temper that one.

tree rats

soak in salt water overnight
boil in water, ole bay, cumin, chili powder, garlic , till fork tender, maybe 4 hours
soak in butter milk sereral hours....
dredge in frish fry then redip in buttermilk, then dredge in panko bread crumbs
then deep fry

yummy in the tummy

HOley cow there nipper! I think that process would make a boot taste good.

Two worst things I've eaten, muskrat (meat is bright red) and High Country Fool Hens ("Richardson's or Spruce Grouse?") which we killed with sticks but they were so tough and stringy they were hard to eat.

al

I manage this recent stuff the same way as the call from a guy I know who said he'd rather go shooting than lay (here supply the name of the screen heroine of your choice). Like, he wants me to believe that he's really had the experience to make that judgement call?

Back