Probes

what did we all learn after seven pages of posts?

Sarge,

In an attempt to be helpful I offer the following.

Here is the take away from the thread.

Go to a couple of matches. Look at all the flags being used. Pick out the ones you like best and buy a set or make yourself a set if you think you have a better idea.

Practice with what ever flags you end up with. Learn to read them as best you can. This may take months, to years, to a life time. So get started now.

One other thing that hasn't been covered is distance. This is my opinion and I'm sure it isn't shared by all.

Shooting a .22lr at distances up to 50 yards/meters can be done with precision and accuracy using wind flags. But not much beyond that.

When you get out beyond 100 yards flags will help but you aren't really shooting with precision anymore.

Watching the flags help but there is so much going on you are almost better off shooting your last shot, meaning making adjustments based on where your last shot landed.

TKH

Sarge,

In an attempt to be helpful I offer the following.

Here is the take away from the thread.

Go to a couple of matches. Look at all the flags being used. Pick out the ones you like best and buy a set or make yourself a set if you think you have a better idea.

Practice with what ever flags you end up with. Learn to read them as best you can. This may take months, to years, to a life time. So get started now.

One other thing that hasn't been covered is distance. This is my opinion and I'm sure it isn't shared by all.

Shooting a .22lr at distances up to 50 yards/meters can be done with precision and accuracy using wind flags. But not much beyond that.

When you get out beyond 100 yards flags will help but you aren't really shooting with precision anymore.

Watching the flags help but there is so much going on you are almost better off shooting your last shot, meaning making adjustments based on where your last shot landed.

TKH
IT may take years to fine the flags that work for you if you do not do your own experimenting :rolleyes:

Precision is relative to distance and which competitive shooting discipline so I would not agree that it is lost after 50 yards. Same for wind indicators the further the distance the more valuable they will become.
Totally agree on finding what works best for you and learning to read them to the very best of ones ability. And as you say it can take years and is dependent on how often one gets out to learn a very hard earned art.
Myself I always practice in the worst conditions for a given day unlike some who go out waiting for the sun to come up in hopes of not having any or anything challenging to have to shoot.

precision is relative to distance and which competitive shooting discipline so i would not agree that it is lost after 50 yards. Same for wind indicators the further the distance the more valuable they will become.
Totally agree on finding what works best for you and learning to read them to the very best of ones ability. And as you say it can take years and is dependent on how often one gets out to learn a very hard earned art.
Myself i always practice in the worst conditions for a given day unlike some who go out waiting for the sun to come up in hopes of not having any or anything challenging to have to shoot.
i believe he ment only rim fire

i believe he ment only rim fire

Bill you are correct I was speaking of rimfire.

Louis.J is correct in that more information is better than less, be that as it may, one can only use as much information as one can process.

I shoot nearly every day, and I'm in the mountains of Pa. where the wind can blow from any direction all at the same time. On the flat lands where you have a constant wind direction it may be easier.

At distances beyond 50 yards /meters there is so much going on (no two flags pointing the same way) picking an aiming point is very difficult.

With so many wind flags and not being able to tell which are having the most impact of the flight of the bullet it becomes very difficult. As I said before I usually have just as good results shooting my last shot and trying to get off all my shots fairly quickly.

F-Class centerfire shooters mostly use this technique as well. It is pretty amazing watching those guys run those rounds down range with a single shot action.

TKH

I didn't realize that Tony Boyer also shot Rimfire Matches or I would not have brought up other shooting disciplines.

Last edited:
[QUOTE MEANING DECIDEING OFF YOIR LAST SHOT
WHERE TO HOLD.=tonykharper;846103]Bill you are correct I was speaking of rimfire.

Louis.J is correct in that more information is better than less, be that as it may, one can only use as much information as one can process.

I shoot nearly every day, and I'm in the mountains of Pa. where the wind can blow from any direction all at the same time. On the flat lands where you have a constant wind direction it may be easier.

At distances beyond 50 yards /meters there is so much going on (no two flags pointing the same way) picking an aiming point is very difficult.

With so many wind flags and not being able to tell which are having the most impact of the flight of the bullet it becomes very difficult. As I said before I usually have just as good results shooting my last shot and trying to get off all my shots fairly quickly.

F-Class centerfire shooters mostly use this technique as well. It is pretty amazing watching those guys run those rounds down range with a single shot action.

TKH[/QUOTE]

Back