Pickers or Runners in Score

KEITH MYERS

Everyone I am sure has read articles on pickers or runners in group shooting. What I would like to hear is shooters preference or comments in regards to the same but in Varmint for Score.

Indeed. Run when you can, pick when you have to. I am still trying to learn how to do that.

This...But I had to chuckle. Keith, aren't you always the last one to finish your target, often firing your last shot as time runs out?;)--Mike

Running a score target is much simpler if you have a shade tree, or a farley or any other coaxial front rest. i dont know what i would do with out mine! Lee

You can't be locked into only one way. A good Score setup allows the shooter do both, as conditions dictate. And often, both ways on the same target.

Good shootin'. -Al

Last edited:
To me I seem to pick more at 100 and try to run at 200. I have been debating on upgrading my Stolle's to ejectors with micro ports. Even though I don't use a coaxial rest it seems more cartridge handling is what slows you down the most.

You are the man Francis!!!

The "Dudes" post #9 hit the nail on the head.

I believe in order to be fast AND good you have to have the technique down so that you never loose vision of the flags. It is alot easier to see a change happen than have to remember what your flags looked like to know if there was a change.

Last edited:
Not to bust out of the topic, but Keith are you guys shootingVFS in April? Its not listed in the new NBRSA News that just showed up! I was talking to Pete Savage & Tom Debacco and I thought they said you were shooting 2 yardages next month?

Yes we are shooting VFS 100/200 April 7. Its a club match so thats why its not in the magazine. Come and shoot! We are having alot of fun. BTW Debacco is suppose to show up clean shaven!

Well when I saw Tom at the Cactus while we were consuming a bottle of red wine friday evening, I couldn't figure out if he was with ZZ Top or Willie Nelson! lol! Lets all hope he finds the razor soon!

Last edited:
Why not let your sighter target dictate what you do? If you don't have two sighters in a row punching out the dot when why start running your shots? Also, the whole thing is up to reading a wind condition you feel confident with.
I don't practice enough to be a runner. My blood pressure won't take it!

If anything, I run when I should pick a little more. Francis is right, once the shot is gone move on. You do have to look at your POI, but you can do that when you have another round ready to launch. We shoot at several ranges where the wind is very bad about switching constantly and quickly, but if the condition is holding reasonably well, I run as far as I can go.

Rick

I believe in order to be fast AND good you have to have the technique down so that you never loose vision of the flags. It is alot easier to see a change happen than have to remember what your flags looked like to know if there was a change.

Jason,
This is a gem. It is like going cross-eyed to see the flags with one eye and the target with the other, but what a advantage it is to consistently use that skill. I'm going to write this down in my range book. Well said.

Cheers,
Keith

Everyone I am sure has read articles on pickers or runners in group shooting. What I would like to hear is shooters preference or comments in regards to the same but in Varmint for Score.

You can't be tied to either method in score shooting, as conditions will dictate what has to be done on any particular day or target.

Some of my best scores have come while running. That said, when conditions dictate picking, everyone is shooting under the same conditions, so all the scores tend to be lower as well.

If you try running a target, you must be able to put on the brakes instantly (a skill that I am still trying to master :D). I wish I had a dollar for every target that started off with 4 X's before the wind shifted slightly :eek:. I keep telling myself "I can get that last shot off before this condition changes", but nature keeps laughing at me, saying "no, you can't" :p.

Jim

You can't be tied to either method in score shooting, as conditions will dictate what has to be done on any particular day or target.

Some of my best scores have come while running. That said, when conditions dictate picking, everyone is shooting under the same conditions, so all the scores tend to be lower as well.

If you try running a target, you must be able to put on the brakes instantly (a skill that I am still trying to master :D). I wish I had a dollar for every target that started off with 4 X's before the wind shifted slightly :eek:. I keep telling myself "I can get that last shot off before this condition changes", but nature keeps laughing at me, saying "no, you can't" :p.

Jim

Pay attention to what Jim says. He has learned how to use the brake peddle better than most.

Back