Photography through a rifle scope?

E

El Paso Mark

Greetings all. Any ideas, tips, suggestions on how to take pictures with a digital camera through a rifle scope? I've done numerous web searchs but can't come up with anything. Thanx.

Cheers,

Mark

it's easy

just put the camera up to the scope and click away.

Richard

Attachments

• view through scope 2.jpg
    view through scope 2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,306
just put the camera up to the scope and click away.

Richard

Thats it!? I thought some type of adapter, bellows, etc. was needed. Okay, will give it a go. Thanx.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

It would help a lot in providing a useful response if you would provide some more details:

What type of camera do you have (SLR, or fixed/built-in lens)?

Available lenses/specs if removable or optic zoom range if built in.

Size of imager (H x W in) and pixels (typically given in Mega Pixels).

Range of scope powers and associated objective lens diameters.

What is the end use of the pictures/images (for example is it to compare or analyze scope quality)?

There is a world of difference between getting an image that is recognizable as being taken through a scope and those good enough to be used to analyze the quality of a scope or compare two scopes.

Well lets see....... I DID use a fancy adapter for some of these, taken through a 45power Leupold....

The sun was coming into the window and making rainbows on the lens, so I went over and grabbed up an empty toilet paper roll tube because the paper towel tube was too long....

:D

They're not great pix by any means but in one case I wanted to show someone a picture of what mild mirage looked like on the 350yd line, in the other two I'm documenting load workups on the 100yd range because I'm too lazy to walk down and get the target. This makes for an easy visual reference to my notes. I can print the pic off the computer and slip it into the notebook with the day's workup. Years later these are wicked handy.

al

Attachments

• 933334392505_0_ALB.jpg
    933334392505_0_ALB.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 246429826605_0_ALB.jpg
    246429826605_0_ALB.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,198
  • 352093176605_0_ALB.jpg
    352093176605_0_ALB.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,116
500M Ram

Mark,
I took the first picture of a ram silhouette at 500 M through a Nikon spotting scope with my little DSC T1 camera. It's interesting the camera seemed to focus on the brush that was closer than the ram - can't remember what the power of the spotter was.

For the second picture, I did the same thing with the camera and the borescope.

I just held the little camera in back of the eye piece & adjusted the position to get the best picture in the window on back the camera. With a 1/4 threaded hole in the bottom of a camera (DSC T1 doesn't have one), it would be an easy thing to make a bracket to hold the camera fixed to the spotter.

Regards, Ron

Attachments

• 500M Ram.jpg
    500M Ram.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,067
  • borescope.jpg
    borescope.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 990
300 Yards through a 42x NiteForce

scopephoto.jpg

Adrian VanGorder took (at least) one a year or two ago that is really cool......I think is was at 300 yards at the Mainville PA. If I remember correctly, he posted it here just after the shoot. Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

-Dave-:)

Dick, WHAT is taped to the middle of that target?

-Dave-:)

Kind of a Long Story, Short version is, it is a troll doll. Stolen from Butch Randall in Maine People were stealing it all weekend and doing things to it but this was the final insult.it was given to a member of the target crew and taped to Butche's target.

Greetings all, and thanx. Took the camera with me today and played with it a bit. So so results. Seems like you really have to some finesse to get things "Right."

Fred-

Canon A590 Powershot digital. Auto and semi SLR modes.

8 Mega pixels

Fixed lens, up to 16X digital zoom.

Maximum resolution 3264x2448

14X scope

General, amature use for posting here for example.

I can't access Photobucket from work so will post the "Best one" I managed to take later when I get home.

Still and all, aren't there adapters or bellows to aid shooting through a scope? My new Spotting scope came with an adapter that I can mount the camera on. Works pretty darn good, but it's too small for the scope.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

I’ll try not to get too technical, but there are several very important concepts that come into play when trying to use your type of camera with a telescopic sight. If you already understand these please note my terminology.

The technique you are attempting substitutes your camera and its lens for your eye/brain visual system and is called Afocal imaging (in astronomy) or Digiscoping (in bird watching). As applied for our purposes, we are attempting to take a picture of the real image formed by the scope optics at the eye relief image plane.

1. Optical versus Digital Zoom – Optical zoom moves lens elements to make a longer focal length lens which will in turn make the image cover a larger part of sensor [your lens is a 5.8-23.2mm (35mm film equivalent: 35-140mm) focal length for 4x optical zoom/magnification]. Digital zoom processes the sensor image to make everything (including the pixel size) larger [up to 4x in your camera] before saving but does not provide any more detail (essentially the same as cropping the image and increasing the size in your image software). NOTE – the best picture quality and maximum usable image size will be obtained by turning off the digital zoom. Maximum optical zoom may not produce the largest usable image (see 3. below).

2. Spotting scope versus Rifle scope – The eyepieces of these two significantly different designs. The spotting scope eyepieces typically have very short eye relief (15-20 mm), short depth of focus (1-2 mm) and wider angle of view (>45 deg) while the rifle scope has longer eye relief (3-4 inch), longer depth of focus (0.5-1 inch) and narrow angle of view (<20 deg). This means that the image plane for the rifle scope (and your camera) is about 5 times further from the eyepiece but focusing will be a little easier.

3. Minimum lens to image plane (eye relief distance) – The closest that your lens can be to the real image plane (eye relief distance) corresponds to the minimum distance from the lens front that will provide an in-focus image on the sensor. From your camera specifications and user guide this is 2 inch (50 mm) in the “Macro Mode”. NOTE – for your camera this will produce a full sensor size image that corresponds to an area of 44 x 59 mm at that 2 inch (50 mm) in front of the lens at minimum close focus.

4. Real image Size – The real image diameter at the eye relief distance corresponds to the exit pupil diameter which is equal to the objective lens diameter divided by the magnification your scope. For most scopes this will be in the range of 1 – 5 mm and for your 14x scope probably 3-4 mm. This then means that the image size from your scope will be from 7.1- 12.6 sq mm at the minimum close focus or 0.27-0.48 % of the sensor area (21,783 – 38,725 pixels). Therefore for maximum image quality you will need to use the “large” image file option for the maximum useful number of pixels.

5. Auto Focus and Auto Exposure – Since your desired real through the scope image size is so small at the sensor, both the Auto Focus and Auto exposure spot sizes may be larger than the key portion of your image. Therefore, you may get better results using manual focus and manual exposure by viewing the results on that nice “true image” LCD view screen.

Thanx Fred. I'll add a more detailed response in a bit, but for now wanted to post this before heading off to work. This was the best I could achieve, and it took much finagling just to get this-

IMG_0327.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

Edit-
Fred: WOW! Thank you for the time and effort. I'll have to mull that over for awhile. I understand most all of what you said, and hadn't even thought about/considered the differences in focusing, scopes, eye relief, etc. Very informative, thank you.

I guess it's a matter of trial and error.

Cheers,

Mark

If the object it to have a photographic record of what happens at the target, put a self focusing video camera on a tripod near the target (but where you will not hit it) and let it run. You get great photos this way - much better than photographing through a rifle scope or spotting scope. You can also to it with a regular digital camera if you have a way to trip it when you want to take a picture. :D

Mark- I have done that, set a video camera down range to record hits (And misses :D) then brought it back to the bench to video firing, and made a little shooting video out of it. Fun. Yes, I only do it early in the morning when I'm the only one there, and make sure I keep the camera well back and off to the side of the target.

Cheers,

Mark

El Paso Mark,

Your posted shot is actually fairly good for your camera. You managed to get the scope image in useable focus and good exposure. Such shots don't need to be "trial and error" as there is some science involved to help the setup. However, you can often get a useful shot faster by the "go-try-it" method rather than doing all the study and calculations.

If you have a more demanding purpose in mind for capturing digital images of the image formed by telescopic sights, I can share my experiences and advise you on how to get there.

Back