Pacific tool and Guage?

Leeroy

Machinest / Gunsmith
G'day Gents..

Has anyone had any problems getting reamers etc from PT&G lately? I've had a reamer on order with them for nearly 11 months and am still waiting. I've called dozens of times and emailed as many times, but keep getting the run around..
I've also been trying to get a refund on some parts i ordered over 18 months ago that could not be shipped because at the time, PTG were not able to process ITAR applications (or so they told me)..
I have a drawer full of their reamers and love them, but as a professional rifle smith, how long am i expected to wait??

Cheers
Lee

Last edited:
Boy, I hope not. I have a reamer back-ordered with them now. They've always over-estimated their lead time in the past - if they told me 4 weeks, it usually took two, if they said 4-8, it took four.

GsT

Part of the delays may be that Kiff & Co have been in a hugh expansion for some time now. Last time I talked to Dave, several months ago, they had over 100 employees and the end of the big building was open and they were still adding on!

HAVE YOU TALKED TO DAVE KIFF DIRECTLY ?
that would be my first step. i too have ordered
specials and never waited that long, typically
shorter than the est. time.

The last reamer I ordered from them, my 284 reamer, took six weeks.

I ordered a 300 BlackOut reamer with a zero freebore, (for shooting 112 grn Match bullets), from JGS around the same time, and the reamers arrived within a couple of days of each other. So I figure at this time, 6 weeks is about the industry standard.

I just called this past Tuesday about a reamer ordered in October (16 weeks). I was told it would be shipped on Wednesday.

Last fall I ordered a 450 Ackley reamer from PTG.

Not in stock, they had to grind it.

Had it in my hands in less than 2 weeks.

ry%3D400

The first thing to do is to make sure that they have your reamer order. I had a .270 Wtby reamer with short throat on order from them. I had ordered it by e-mail, even to the point of getting the reamer print for confirmation back from them. After 4 months, I called them to check on the progress of the reamer and they couldn't find that I had it on order. Two weeks later I had the reamer. I think they have become so large a company making so many things that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I'd suggest when ordering reamers is to order over the phone, get the name of the person that you ordered it from, record her name and get and record a confirmation number on the reamer order when you place the order. If you have questions later about the order, ask for the person from whom you placed the order and provide the confirmation number for the order. That reamer is the only problem I've had getting an order filled. Bolt orders and that kind of thing that I've ordered online have been filled quicker than the time frame that they stated when the order was placed.

Thanks Mike and all the other who replied.

I'm going to call them again next week and ask to speak to Dave himself and see if it can't be resolved..

Cheers
Lee

Leeroy, contact me by pm with a name and order number. 11 months for a reamer is way too long. Email orders do tend to have more problems than online or voice orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't order there

I've tried and I think your right, never again. I ordered a .22lr reamer recently. This is the second reamer I've ordered W/O a rim stop and got one with one. I told them, they repeated it to me. Ok I get a email and the reamer in the email isn't even close. They say refuse it from UPS, I am at work and leave a note the driver doesn't see it. I'm stuck shipping back etc etc., screw it I'm going with Manson at least they act like they know what your talking about. The people answering the phone at PTG act like they couldn't even spell reamer.

that does not compare to the good service i have received.
not big time but over a dozen.

I've tried and I think your right, never again. I ordered a .22lr reamer recently. This is the second reamer I've ordered W/O a rim stop and got one with one. I told them, they repeated it to me. Ok I get a email and the reamer in the email isn't even close. They say refuse it from UPS, I am at work and leave a note the driver doesn't see it. I'm stuck shipping back etc etc., screw it I'm going with Manson at least they act like they know what your talking about. The people answering the phone at PTG act like they couldn't even spell reamer.

This is kinda' embarrassing and it could be BAD PR but hey.....with all the folks bashing PTG I gotta' get my licks in.

I just received a new 6.5 Creedmoor reamer, one spec'd and re-spec'd by me such that it's a a total one-off, a fat-butted Alinwa Special unlike anything anyone else could ever want.........several revisions, emails back and forth with prints and changes during which I wasted days by not replying timely......

I just went back and checked my email string (7 emails) and find that the entire process took under a month. I won't say how much under cuz that would be embarrassing but AS A BUSINESSMAN, from one who's run a time and product oriented service direct business for 30yrs I couldn't be happier with the service I've received from PTG for over 25yrs. And no, this isn't some "Good Ol' Boys Network" thing cuz I've just never been a player of any sort and besides my personal creed of ethics finds the whole backscratching buddy-buddy thing to be abhorrent.... This is the QUICKEST I've ever received a one-off reamer. I'm not trying to call it a norm. I've sometimes waited months if memory serves, maybe more because I DO NOT order late and count the days so I don't know.... nor have I ever called to complain. Because I don't. My "complaints" come in the form of simply calling someone else, which is exactly what I expect from my business clients. I just generally avoid dealing with or even talking to folks to whom "complaining" would make a difference.

I'm just gonna' say it, "I think that Pacific Tool and Gauge is a fine company to deal with."

Al Matson

Getting specialty design reamers ground has been an issue ever since I started chambering over 2 decades ago. I've ordered from Dave Manson, Hugh Henriksen, JGS, Clyner, and PTG, all with varying response times.

Things to consider, most of these suppliers are small, one-off, types.

This is not AMAZON guys and gals.

If they don't meet your expectations, give them a call. I know most of these folks pretty well and they don't have IBM Computer mainframes and DP staffs to track your orders.

I favor PTG and Henriksen. But Dave Manson has a new CNC grinder so??

Experience

I am glad it worked for you. I had ordered my last products before the reamer ordeal three years ago. No problems with that. It just seems with the growth, they have several issues to solve or there growth will be short lived. If I ran it I would like feedback so at least I could look at the problem areas.
Jerry Halcomb

I am glad it worked for you. I had ordered my last products before the reamer ordeal three years ago. No problems with that. It just seems with the growth, they have several issues to solve or there growth will be short lived. If I ran it I would like feedback so at least I could look at the problem areas.
Jerry Halcomb

Recall the old saying "When you are up to your a$$ in alligators it's hard to drain the swamp"!!!

Well, hopefully the swamp is getting drained.

Allow me to play. I sent an email to Johnothon Young at PTG today asking about their 22 Nosler reamer. You can look at the date and time stamp of the screenshot when I got the response. Not bad

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170217-170649.jpg
    Screenshot_20170217-170649.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 167
It looks like the original poster had an expired ITAR licence and did not want to renew. Without a current licence we can not send the ITAR regulated items out. This is not negotiable, fudging on ITAR paperwork costs big money in fines and results in impounded items. We did have some problems with our ITAR program last year and had to correct those problems before shipments were restarted. The ITAR program has been working fairly smooth for the last few months. We have been in contact with the customer and the ITAR regulated items have been restocked and a full refund given. Hopefully this clears the situation up for everyone. Yes we dropped the ball on this one by holding non regulated items while waiting for a current licence for the regulated items. Hopefully we will not be repeating any of the same mistakes this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the original poster had an expired ITAR licence and did not want to renew. Without a current licence we can not send the ITAR regulated items out. This is not negotiable, fudging on ITAR paperwork costs big money in fines and results in impounded items. We did have some problems with our ITAR program last year and had to correct those problems before shipments were restarted. The ITAR program has been working fairly smooth for the last few months. We have been in contact with the customer and the ITAR regulated items have been restocked and a full refund given. Hopefully this clears the situation up for everyone. Yes we dropped the ball on this one by holding non regulated items while waiting for a current licence for the regulated items. Hopefully we will not be repeating any of the same mistakes this year.

What are ITAR regulated items?

What are ITAR regulated items?

The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) is a set of United States Government regulations on the export and import of defense- related articles and services.

Basically if its a part for a firearm shipped out of the USA its ITAR regulated.

Back