Our New Lathe Arrived This Morning.

At first I thought that was a .458 Socom, but the rim wasn't rebated, then I recall you talking about using .338LM brass as a parent for something like this - is that the case? What sort of powder load are you putting behind that monster?

GsT

It's purpose-designed for ONE single purpose, a subsonic hunting round. So it'll take basically any powder.

I've worked up 1050fps loads using 13 different powders ranging from Clays/Red Dot/Bullseye family through Varget/H4350/H4831 all the way up to Retumbo/H1000

Oddly enough, with that huge bullet it does stuff no normal gun can do. For instance it will stroll casually THE FULL LENGTH of bull elk..... it will walk through a ten foot thick earth berm as though it weren't there..... and it isn't even aware that you, the meatsack trying to drive it, exists. It will BOOT you acros't Hell's Half Acre and walk on without breaking stride....

Al if you are referring to the length of the baseband I prefer to make mine 100 to 150 thousands in length depending on bullet design. I also prefer to use brass for my mould blocks the bullet quality is much higher than the other typical materials being used. My moulds are cherrie cut and the bottom picture is a cherrie that I am working on. It more clearly shows how long the baseband will be on this bullet when finished. The last picture is a finished heat treated cherrie, the cutting edges have been stoned and it's ready for use. To increase Length / weight the cherrie is lowered deeper into the blocks and the bases are all flat.

Last edited:
Here is a big one it makes the one I shoot in competition look abit on the small side.
Length 1.498, Diameter .596

Louis, I really like your bullets. The design you show is exactly what I wanted but my maker insisted that the driving band clear to the base (the part you refer to as "baseband") would "leave little fins hanging off the back and would never shoot accurately"

Basically your bullet in .501 is what I picture as 'my' perfect bullet...... My hope was to make a dead soft bullet that would expand on meat at low velocity.....It's what I wanted when I had my last mold made...... And it will end up then between 860 and 910 grains if I'm right.

Ohhh well, I found out that in real life the 50caliber hole is enough wound channel WITHOUT expansion, so it's easier/cheaper to just buy 50BMG bullets now that I can get good bullets, Match Grade bullets, up to over 800gr

No hi-jacking intended just sharing what Jackie continually shares is helping me to learn how to do my very best of work. This also holds true for those who are asking me unrelated questions. Back to lathes the below video is but one that has helped me along the way. I think there might now be a " Using what you have on hand." question coming up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xykoVHY_Lkc

Last edited:
Jackie do you also do the shaft installations. Reason I ask is it appears all of your prior work could easily be damaged.

Jackie do you also do the shaft installations. Reason I ask is it appears all of your prior work could easily be damaged.

The shipyard does the installation. They are well trained on how it’s done.

They know there are no second chances. You do it right. The first. Period.

Thank you for the clarification Jackie I was wondering at what point the liability for your own services ended and at what point someone else's then came into play.

Thank you for the clarification Jackie I was wondering at what point the liability for your own services ended and at what point someone else's then came into play.

Louis, our liability ends at delivery.

Keep in mind, these shafts, along with all rudder post, steering systems, and other critical items come under rigorous inspection before they ever leave our shop.

It starts with the material, then the prep of the shafts, the welding procedure, the final non destructive testing, and the overall quality of the machine work, including not only the straightness of the shaft but also the fit of the Propeller and Coupling.

So they sling them down into the hold, rig them in the hold area and run them out?

Al, on vessels that have a permanent flange forged onto the coupling end of the shaft instead of a removable coupling, that is how the propeller shaft is installed. Large ships are an example.

These shafts are installed from the outside. The shaft is supported by a crane and chainfalls hung from pad eyes welded to the bottom of the boat. The shaft is simply fed through the bearings. Of course, care must be taken to keep things balanced and avoid binding. To aid in the shafts slipping through the water lubricated bearings, most ‘yards coat the surfaces with dish washing detergent, which is slick and biodegradable.

After the shaft is in place, the coupling is installed inside.

Very much so Al and one can learn allot from what Jackie shares. Unlike CNC machining it's all hands on and as Jackie his employees are extremely talented.

Back