New western powders lt-32 test results

Oh...the last 10000 lbs I heard about was sold to a commercial reloader when I tried to run some down. Bummer.

Hovis

to me that seems like just plain bullschit based on what lou did....sounds more like politically correct after the fact droooooolllll....

I don't consider it BS since IMR 8202 XBR has NOT replaced N-133 as THE powder to win with...Occasinally a shooter will win with 8208-XBR but the vast majority are still shooting N-133....I am not blaming Lou for the lackluster performance of the production run 8208-XBR just stating the facts as they are based on results...

Mike, what great accomplisments have you had with IMR 8208-XBR..???
Or name all of the major wins at major events won with 8208-XBR...

Eddie in Texas

Jerry,

I had the Army Ammunition Activity run the lot number. It was never used by the military in the U.S. It finally came up as a NATO lot number from Europe, manufactured in the early 1980's but that's as far as they could get. The ammo it was loaded in was sold to a company in the U.S. who imported it and then pulled it down. All this is straight from the the Army. Took months to get that much info as AAA had to get in contact with USAREUR (United States Army Europe) G-4 to run the numbers.

Hovis
Kev, who you gonna' trust, the Army, David Mosley, or me? I just repeated what David told me. But, was it or was it not 8208. It sure looked like much of the 8208 lots I have seen.
What I chronoed of this AAC122910 was some slower than most of the 18165, 18166, 18167, PD that Barnett at GI Brass used to sell (about 125 fps or so)

I had one of the better known short range gunsmiths, tell me that the big dogs, that are winning the big matches, are probably not shooting N133. Just what i was told. The more i shoot N133, and the more i learn to tune with this powder, the more i like it. I used to not think so highly of n133, Then again, I didn't know how to tune with it. Im still no king by any means, but i do understand the basics a bit better know. Having my own shooting range, and loading room all in one, I get a chance to shoot lots and lots of bullets. Matter a fact, i am having a hard time keeping up with components. LOL!! It sucks, i know!!! Lee

you missed the intent.
it was a comment on what hodgden said about the powder....
i agree the powder aint what was asked for nor promised.
as an aside it is awesum in 308win........
i have one of the early lots of imr8208..but i also have 4 additional lots from thunderbird thru some 90's pull down.
were on the same side...of this i believe...
mike in co

I don't consider it BS since IMR 8202 XBR has NOT replaced N-133 as THE powder to win with...Occasinally a shooter will win with 8208-XBR but the vast majority are still shooting N-133....I am not blaming Lou for the lackluster performance of the production run 8208-XBR just stating the facts as they are based on results...

Mike, what great accomplisments have you had with IMR 8208-XBR..???
Or name all of the major wins at major events won with 8208-XBR...

Eddie in Texas

Kev, who you gonna' trust, the Army, David Mosley, or me? I just repeated what David told me. But, was it or was it not 8208. It sure looked like much of the 8208 lots I have seen.
What I chronoed of this AAC122910 was some slower than most of the 18165, 18166, 18167, PD that Barnett at GI Brass used to sell (about 125 fps or so)

Jerry

If this powder was us goverment powder it would have been cataloged...it is not. The micro structure under a higb power high quality microscope comfirms it is not 8208...not even close.

Hovis

I have seen some of the powder that has been more recently sold as surplus 8208, and although it seems to be satisfactory for the intended use, examination of the shape of the grains reveals that it does not look the same as powder previously sold as 8208. I have heard some speculation about it being of European manufacture. The grains are longer, relative to their diameters, and their ends more irregular. None of this matters if the result is good, but it is what I observed. Have any of you tried the Swiss Precision powder that Widner's is selling?http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=10000090&dir=278|283|1013

Jerry

If this powder was us goverment powder it would have been cataloged...it is not. The micro structure under a higb power high quality microscope comfirms it is not 8208...not even close.

Hovis
Kevin, all I can tell you about this AAC122910 is what I saw on the 8# jug labels and the big containers. As to the source, David buys a lot of surplus loading supplies from the US government and he said this came from one of those ordinance surplus sales. He said the powder was not pulldown and he got it from an ordinance. Call him yourself is all I can say. His number is 615-497-4205.

Does anyone really know when and if this LT32 powder will be available for sale ?
I contacted accurate powders, they said still waiting approval maybe by the end of summer..
but was wondering if anyone knew any more?

While we are waiting for LT 32 to make it through the federal maze, you might give some attention to the Canadian 2015 that is available. LT 32 is a little faster than 133 and the Canadian 2015 is a bit slower, but still quite useable. In fact for you middle node guys, it may actually be better, because of case filling issues. Both powders have the same chemistry, and fine,easily thrown grain size.

A friend that shot it at Visalia yesterday reports that although it makes more powder fouling than 133 (what doesn't?) the fouling is easy to remove... not a problem. The day before, I asked Lou what he had had to do to deal with the high afternoon heat, and he told me that the load that he worked up in the morning still shot well in the heat of the late afternoon, with a slight raising of inpact point being the only difference. This is in contrast with the usual drill with 133. It got up to 102-103 yesterday, and is supposed to be hotter today, and pretty dry. I will be interested to hear more details. Yesterday, shooting the 2015 in his rail, a friend, mistakenly shot his first shot on the record target, and then went down to the sighter, and figured his hold off, and shot a small one to win that match, so for him, it seems to be working just fine. To get to the same velocity, he had to go up about a grain from his 133 load, but that was not a problem. He had the room.

On an unrelated note, the plan for the day is to take our lunch up to Huntington lake at about 7,000 ft. to escape the heat. It will be 106 in Fresno today, and it should only make it up to 77 there. It is nice to have that option. I will take a few pictures. It is a really pretty place. If there is some wind, the sail boats should be on the lake.

Last edited:
Canadian 2015

While we are waiting for LT 32 to make it through the federal maze, you might give some attention to the Canadian 2015 that is available. LT 32 is a little faster than 133 and the Canadian 2015 is a bit slower, but still quite useable. In fact for you middle node guys, it may actually be better, because of case filling issues. Both powders have the same chemistry, and fine,easily thrown grain size.

A friend that shot it at Visalia yesterday reports that although it makes more powder fouling than 133 (what doesn't?) the fouling is easy to remove... not a problem. The day before, I asked Lou what he had had to do to deal with the high afternoon heat, and he told me that the load that he worked up in the morning still shot well in the heat of the late afternoon, with a slight raising of inpact point being the only difference. This is in contrast with the usual drill with 133. It got up to 102-103 yesterday, and is supposed to be hotter today, and pretty dry. I will be interested to hear more details. Yesterday, shooting the 2015 in his rail, a friend, mistakenly shot his first shot on the record target, and then went down to the sighter, and figured his hold off, and shot a small one to win that match, so for him, it seems to be working just fine. To get to the same velocity, he had to go up about a grain from his 133 load, but that was not a problem. He had the room.

Where can you get this Canadian 2015? Seems like it might be a good one in the .223

I would make some calls. I found some at a local store. I would call Western Powders to see where it has been shipped to, and then the wholesaler in your area to see who has it. Have you tried Powder Valley?

According to Kevin Anderson at Western, DOT approval of LT-32 shipping os still several months out.

"We're the government and we are here to destroy the nation"!!!!

And the Government want to run a health care system. Can you even imagine!!!!! Pretty scary stuff, i think! Lee

Ohh but now Lee :rolleyes: if memory serves me :confused: isnt our dearly beloved and respected president ( :mad::( ) from your state?
Surely since he was YOUR senator you couldnt possibly think he would fail at such a simple task :p

Sorry Lee I just couldnt resist.hehehehehehehe

Folks,
We've got to be a little patient. Lou worked very hard in getting us a new powder and it sounds like the new manufacturer has done a good job. The government, as usual, has thrown a few monkey wrenches into the delivery process but in the end, I think we will have a great alternate to N133. The N133 is all I've ever shot but there sure have been times when it drove me crazy.
I was one of the people that tested the original 8208 that Lou got done and I want to tell you that it was great; the delivered product, not so much... This is a new manufacturer and I think we need to SUPPORT them and give this new powder a good fair test. If it comes in the fall great, I will be in line to buy some, if it comes in a bit late that's okay too as long it is good.
I must tell you that it pisses me off that there are people on this site that are turning a great effort in helping the benchrest community into some personal advertising crusade. Pathetic!

Larry

Back