New Remington 40X

Calfed

Won a Remington 40X .308 target rifle yesterday at an online sale. I'm looking forward to getting this one out on the range.

Are these used with any success in F class shooting?

8fChpJN.jpg

yMw6hV5.jpg

0NWFCK1.jpg

04ynaBT.jpg

PoLR7pB.jpg

j832y5u.jpg

The only drawback on that gun for f/tr is too slow of a twist to shoot the mainstream bullets. If you like a challenge get you some 175's and go for it. Itll teach you the proper wind reading skills for sure. As far as f-open itll work but youre severely handicapped by caliber. So to answer your question, no theres not too many of those on the line. Very nice rifle by the way- congrats on your purchase. It looks like a very fine rifle for sure.

The only drawback on that gun for f/tr is too slow of a twist to shoot the mainstream bullets.
Standard twist rate for a 40XC is 1:12". Such barrels will shoot 190 Sierras reasonably well, friends used to use modified Remington Varmint Synthetics (same twist in factory barrels) with 'em to shoot Palma. Have shot 185 Berger VLDs from a VS barrel at 1000 yards, no complaints about accuracy (IIRC, 7 shot group of ~8" @ 1000.) Anything longer than a 190 Sierra will probably result in bullet patterns at 100 yards (with more than a few elongated holes).

Twist will work great for bullets like the 155 Lapua or the 155 Bergers as well as any of the VLD-styled 168's. I have shot 200 MK's in a twelve wist with no issues but I think it's a bit slow. With a scope mounted, that 40X is the epitome of an F(TR) rifle. What's more, it is a solid platform on which to build when the original barrel gives out. Regards, Bill.

Thanks, guys.

Is it the bullet weight or the bearing surface that determines what the optimum twist rate is?

Bullet length.

Thanks, Bill.

The auction description advised:

Gun Remington 40-X in 7.62 NATO Bolt Match Rifle
This Remington Model 40-X in 7.62 NATO (.308 WIN) Bolt Action Match Rifle (XCL) features a custom 27” Stainless Steel Heavy Barrel; Redfield Olympic competition rear sight; competition trigger; forged-billet steel receiver; polished jeweled bolt; smooth one-piece hardwood bench-rest wide stock & forearm; adjustable length sling swivels and black hard rubber butt-plate. The gun’s condition grades at 90% with wear consistent with age. A very nice competition rifle. Used.

Just wondering if the 27" is a standard length Remington barrel or if this is more likely a custom barrel of some sort. Here is another picture of the barrel.

Oyb8qpn.jpg

Thanks for the replies. When it arrives and goes thru the 10 day "cooling off" period, I'll take it to the range.

Just looking at the wear on the forearm from a shooting glove, I'd say it has seen some shooting. Interesting to see what's left in the barrel. Those are excellent barrels, by the way. My Dad had the same rifle but in single shot form. Still has it, I think, but with it's third or fourth barrel. Regards, Bill

Just looking at the wear on the forearm from a shooting glove, I'd say it has seen some shooting. Interesting to see what's left in the barrel. Those are excellent barrels, by the way. My Dad had the same rifle but in single shot form. Still has it, I think, but with it's third or fourth barrel. Regards, Bill

Buying a rifle from an online auction is always an act of faith. I'm hoping for the best.

I've heard that the .308 round is easier on the barrel than most. Glad to hear that the Remington barrels are good.

Someone noted that the barrel is marked "7.62 Nato" and asked if that would be a problem with ".308" ammunition. Mt initial reaction was no...but I really don't know.

Are all Remington 40X's marked "7.62 Nato" or are some ".308"?

Those I have seen which were prone rifles were marked 7.62 Nato; probably to ensure suitability for Palma competition. A 40XB-BR was stamped 308 Win. I honestly cannot tell you if there were difference in chamber dimensions but I would think there were however, the differences would be minor and would not preclude the use of 308 ammunition in the 7.62 Nato. Regards, Bill.

The Model 40 arrived at my FFL today and I went over to give it a good look-see. I'm waiting for a couple of other guns to a arrive, so I didn't start the DROS.

The 40X looks pretty much as it was advertised...in excellent condition, with the Olympic sight attached. I pulled the sight off and took it home.

Yr01UF9.jpg

5wdq3sy.jpg

If I were you the first thing to do is take a look at the bore....I've competed in NRA High Power for close to 40 years, those barrels do wear out....and when there is wear on the wood finish usually the barrel is toast.

I'd never buy a used 40X at these inflated online prices, which is why my F-Class FTR and Open rifles are built off Rem. 700 actions.

If I were you the first thing to do is take a look at the bore....I've competed in NRA High Power for close to 40 years, those barrels do wear out....and when there is wear on the wood finish usually the barrel is toast.

I'd never buy a used 40X at these inflated online prices, which is why my F-Class FTR and Open rifles are built off Rem. 700 actions.

Thanks, Td15X. I would never buy one of these at an inflated online price either.

What is the best way to check the bore for wear on one of these? I have a .30 caliber muzzle wear gauge, but am not sure how useful it would be on this rifle.

Last edited:
Back