New Remington 40X

If you are unable to identify a shot out throat, have someone who can do so give it a look. In general, look closely at the rifling just ahead of the chamber. Now, reverse the barrel and look closely at the rifling near the muzzle. You will probably notice the rifling near the muzzle appears sharper and more pronounced. If the difference is significant, the barrel may have seen it's best days. If there appears to be no rifling for an inch or more ahead of the chamber, that barrel is done. Guys who have spent too much time studying barrels see this easily while a person who just looks though to see if it's shiny may not. Regards, Bill.

Thanks, Bill.

I'll give it a good look see when the 10-day "cooling off" period is over. Should be next Tuesday.

Buying at an online auction always involves risks, but I think I got a decent deal on this one...if the barrel is any good at all.

Do stainless barrels, like this one, last longer than the CM barrels?

A little longer but not a lot. I bought a 40X-BR at an auction once. I didn't really care about the barrel since I planned to replace it anyway and I figured a 40X should be too badly abused so I was happy enough when I got it for 375 dollars. When I took a closer look, I found the barrel was done (no biggy) and the stock had seen some modification (fixable). It was the action that was worst off though. The boltface was etched deeply from too many hot loads with leaking primers. The locking lugs and locking lug seats were galled worse than any rifle I had seen. The firing pin tip was gas cut from peirced primers. By the time I had fixed everything up on the action I had a full day into it. I could have purchased any one of a bunch of good actions for what that one ended up costing me. Oh well. Regards, Bill

A little longer but not a lot. I bought a 40X-BR at an auction once. I didn't really care about the barrel since I planned to replace it anyway and I figured a 40X should be too badly abused so I was happy enough when I got it for 375 dollars. When I took a closer look, I found the barrel was done (no biggy) and the stock had seen some modification (fixable). It was the action that was worst off though. The boltface was etched deeply from too many hot loads with leaking primers. The locking lugs and locking lug seats were galled worse than any rifle I had seen. The firing pin tip was gas cut from peirced primers. By the time I had fixed everything up on the action I had a full day into it. I could have purchased any one of a bunch of good actions for what that one ended up costing me. Oh well. Regards, Bill

I didn't get mine that cheap :)

I'll give it a good going over and post additional pics next week.

If you are unable to identify a shot out throat, have someone who can do so give it a look. In general, look closely at the rifling just ahead of the chamber. Now, reverse the barrel and look closely at the rifling near the muzzle. You will probably notice the rifling near the muzzle appears sharper and more pronounced. If the difference is significant, the barrel may have seen it's best days. If there appears to be no rifling for an inch or more ahead of the chamber, that barrel is done. Guys who have spent too much time studying barrels see this easily while a person who just looks though to see if it's shiny may not. Regards, Bill.

I picked up my Remington 40X this afternoon from the FFL and looked it over. It looks pretty good. I particularly gave the barrel a good look and it looks pretty good to me. The rifling looks sharp and crisp at the muzzle and as best I could tell, it wasn't a whole lot different at the chamber end. The rifling went all the way to chamber.

I couldn't find my CMP muzzle gauge, but gave it the "bullet test" with a 175 gr Nosler CC and the bore seems tight.

I tried to take a few pictures, but didn't have a lot of luck. I got a few fair ones at the muzzle, no luck at all getting anything from the chamber end.

wdO0wb0.jpg
o67alG1.jpg
myAQNTB.jpg

Last edited:
Back