New Digital headspace gauge

O

overbore

from Innovative Technologies, www.larrywillis.com, is Santa's gift. It features a well made stand with vertical shaft to hold a three function, thousands digital indicator that allows me to measure anywhere on the shoulder on a fired case, press the "zero" button and then read how my sizing die / head space settings are fitting my chambers. It also prevents excessive working of the ever expensive brass. This is a good and useful tool at a good price. :):):):)
Overbore

Leave it to Larry! I think he may have another winner with this new tool. Think about all the problems that can be correted using this tool. Say you got a chamber cut and didn't get a set-up gage made from a peice of barrel.

Way to go Larry!:D

Freakin' WAY TO GO LARRY!!!!!!

This is a long-awaited answer to several problems.

NICEly done man

al

Another nice tool but

Not to take anything away from this newest accessory but RCBS case gages do bout the same thing and I've been using them for years.

I think it could be named something other than a head space gauge.

Technically I believe headspace is set by the gunsmith when the barrel is chambered and fitted and the headspace gauge used is a non adjustable steel gauge.

Anything you do with adjusting a reload is more of a cartridge gap setting.

Terminology can be confusing... Am I right or wrong on this? :)

I think it could be named something other than a head space gauge.

Technically I believe headspace is set by the gunsmith when the barrel is chambered and fitted and the headspace gauge used is a non adjustable steel gauge.

Anything you do with adjusting a reload is more of a cartridge gap setting.

Terminology can be confusing... Am I right or wrong on this? :)
Military armory manuals and most gunsmithing books refer to headspace as the distance between the base of the cartridge and the face of the bolt with the cartridge fully seated in the chamber.. It is generally understood that the case head is the part of the cartridge case where the primer pocket resides.

This gage measures the shoulder of the cartridge case, period. So, simply stated, this gage would give the amount of shoulder setback or variance between various cartridge cases. This measurement could or could not effect headspace depending on if the case body is resized and how much.

Military armory manuals and most gunsmithing books refer to headspace as the distance between the base of the cartridge and the face of the bolt with the cartridge fully seated in the chamber.. It is generally understood that the case head is the part of the cartridge case where the primer pocket resides.

This gage measures the shoulder of the cartridge case, period. So, simply stated, this gage would give the amount of shoulder setback or variance between various cartridge cases. This measurement could or could not effect headspace depending on if the case body is resized and how much.

To the last part of your sentence you could of added " and how much the shoulder is set back" Rememer this gage is a measurement from the base of the ctg and the shoulder.

If the shoulder is puched to far back, then you have a headspace problem. So then, if you are measuring from the base to the shoulder then you are gaging for head space.

from Innovative Technologies, www.larrywillis.com, is Santa's gift. It features a well made stand with vertical shaft to hold a three function, thousands digital indicator that allows me to measure anywhere on the shoulder on a fired case, press the "zero" button and then read how my sizing die / head space settings are fitting my chambers. It also prevents excessive working of the ever expensive brass. This is a good and useful tool at a good price. :):):):)
Overbore

Thanks for the link. What a great idea!

Copied and pasted from a previous thread discussing headspace and head clearance. (From mike in colorado)

From SAAMI'S glossary:

HEAD CLEARANCE
The distance between the head of a fully seated cartridge or shell and the face of the breech bolt when the action is in the closed position. Commonly confused with headspace.

HEADSPACE
The distance from the face of the closed breech of a firearm to the surface in the chamber on which the cartridge case seats.

HEADSPACE GAGE
A device used in a firearm to determine the distance between the breech face and the chamber surface on which the cartridge seats. Also called Breeching Plug.

I think this new "headspace gauge" would be more accurately be named a "Head Clearance Gauge"...

Copied and pasted from a previous thread discussing headspace and head clearance. (From mike in co)
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47729&highlight="headspace+gap"

From SAAMI'S glossary:

HEAD CLEARANCE
The distance between the head of a fully seated cartridge or shell and the face of the breech bolt when the action is in the closed position. Commonly confused with headspace.

HEADSPACE
The distance from the face of the closed breech of a firearm to the surface in the chamber on which the cartridge case seats.

HEADSPACE GAGE
A device used in a firearm to determine the distance between the breech face and the chamber surface on which the cartridge seats. Also called Breeching Plug.

I think this new "headspace gauge" would be more accurately be named a "Head Clearance Gauge"... it is not headspace that is being measured, it is head clearance...head clearance...head clearance...head clearance...head clearance...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis ......

I thought I'd call it the "headspace gauge" so that shooters would relate this tool to headspace as it applies to handloading. As you say this gauge displays your exact headspace "clearance", which is more relevent information for reloading. (No need to worry about finding a specific datum point).

I'll let the reamer manufacturers deal with "actual" headspace length. Knowing the headspace "clearance" is even more helpful if you're reloading for more than one rifle. I could have also called it a case comparitor, but that might cause confusion about its ultimate purpose.

The RCBS Precision Mic is a pretty good tool, but it's quite expensive when you consider that it only works on one specific caliber. Our Digital Headspace Gauge works on almost any caliber.

- Innovative

Dennis ......

I thought I'd call it the "headspace gauge" so that shooters would relate this tool to headspace as it applies to handloading. As you say this gauge displays your exact headspace "clearance", which is more relevent information for reloading. (No need to worry about finding a specific datum point).

I'll let the reamer manufacturers deal with "actual" headspace length. Knowing the headspace "clearance" is even more helpful if you're reloading for more than one rifle. I could have also called it a case comparitor, but that might cause confusion about its ultimate purpose.

The RCBS Precision Mic is a pretty good tool, but it's quite expensive when you consider that it only works on one specific caliber. Our Digital Headspace Gauge works on almost any caliber.

- Innovative

larry,
sorry to be a pain...BUT DO NOT PROPOGATE POOR LANGUAGE IN THE GUNSMITHING WORLD.
IT IS VERY CLEAR.
THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT DIFF IN A GUNSMITH SETTING HEADSPACE WHEN BUILDING A FIREARM AND,
IT IS INTIRELY DIFFERENT TO ADJUST THE AMOUNT OF SIZING A DIE DOES TO YOUR BRASS.
PLEASE CONSIDER YOUR IMPACT ON THE SPORT.
REPEATING AN ERROR IS NOT GOOD FOR THE SPORT.

SAAMI IS VERY CLEAR IN RESPECT TO THESE TERMS.

CASE CLEARANCE AND HEADSPACE ARE NO WHERE NEAR THE SAME.

YOU HAVE DONE A GOOD THIGN WITH THE TOOL, MAKE IT BETTER BY CORRECTING A COMMON ERROR.

YES ITS IN CAPS, ITS MY PERSONAL CRUSADE TO CORRECT THIS ERROR.

mike in co

your info is dated, and refers to old rimmed cases, a new definition was added( years ago) with the advent of rimless/semi remmed cases.
mike in co

I think that it is a

DIGITAL SHOULDER BUMP MEASUREMENT FIXTURE.

Ain't got nuthin' to do with headspace.

I got opinions...

Jay, Idaho

Call it by any other name, and this gauge still works exactly the same. (Instructions are included.) It basicly compares a case in almost any given caliber to one that you know is perfect for your particular chamber. It also compares loaded rounds back from anywhere on the bullet ogive with others to measure seating depth uniformity and expose irregular bullet shape. This device is not limited to working on just one caliber, and it can compare case lengths quicker and easier than any other tool I've ever tried.

Don't worry .... I have no plans to get rich from any of the special tools I make. My main goal is to support shooters whether they're a customer or not. I'm sure there are other acceptable methods of measuring handloads, and a jillion special tools that most shooters will unfortunately never get to see due to the high cost of manufacturing.

- Innovative

OK, In for a penny, in for a pound :D:D

I'll side with the guys against Larry's choice of NAME for his device....and here's why.

IMO the term "gauge" implies a fixed or pre-measured device (the gauge) being used to accept/deny pieces, parts or clearances. For instance when using feeler gauge one "tries fit" until one finds refusal. Same with a snap gauge (although in this case you gauge, then measure) or when using deltronic pins to establish bore size. THIS is gauging.

The term "measuring" means exactly that and the term "comparing" more describes Larry's new toy. IMO it's a "comparitor" not a gauge. AND, using the term "headspace gauge" or "headspace gauging" could well be confusing to some.

A pint's a pound, the world around"

al

Fwiw

"The RCBS Precision Mic is a pretty good tool, but it's quite expensive when you consider that it only works on one specific caliber. Our Digital Headspace Gauge works on almost any caliber. "

Well I'm not trying to create a Urinary Olympics but my 308 case mic tells me what I want to know in regards to 243, 22-250, 260 Rem and the 30-06 case mic tells me for 270 along with others, just have to understand how things work as all we are doing is comparing resized brass to either new brass or a headspace gage or brass fired in a particular rifle but beware of the slight amounts of springback. I also like the fact the case mic gives me a reading close to the diameter that headspace dimension originates if one looks at the drawings. RCBS case mic also has a dummy cartridge that works something like a stoney point gage but one can modify a particular projectile to work with it also.

G'Day

Gauge

From Webster;

gauge Definition
gauge (gāj)

noun

a standard measure or scale of measurement
dimensions, capacity, thickness, etc.
:D any device for measuring something, as the thickness of wire, the dimensions of a machined part, :D
the amount of liquid in a container, steam pressure, etc.
any means of estimating or judging

using the term "headspace gauge" or "headspace gauging" could well be confusing to some.

al

Especially when it is head clearance of the cartridge that is being measured... not the head space of the rifle...

Back