New Bullet Jacket Business

Sitting drinking my coffee in my office, I just read this entire thread.

Many who know me remember my effort into bullet making. I was going to set the world on fire. Heck, I never really got the match struck.

It was discouraging when, despite your best efforts, your bullets simply were not as good as those just a phone call away.

One thing I tried was checking the wall thickness variation in every jacket. I machined up a little rig that allowed me to check them rather quickly. I would sit and watch TV and check jackets.

I was told by some pretty knowledgable shooters that I was wasting my time. But you know how we can be.

I would take jackets that exhibited as much as .0004 variation and make bullets from them, and take jackets that exhibited just about zero variation, and make bullets with them.

At the range, in my Rail Gun, I could not tell the difference. So I decided it was a waste of time.

I made pretty good bullets, but not great bullets.

If you walk into my little shop office, you will notice three presses, appearing as if they are in a time warp. They are exactly the way I left them when I finally just said "screw this, I'm calling Jeff Fowler".

Last edited:
If we can get the Distributors and the Manufacturer to come to the party, there is a real opportunity for them to supply a new class of jacket. I'm not just talking about quality or volume/availability, I'm also talking about honesty. I know we're all probably falling over ourselves trying to get supply, but I'm concerned this is what has led us to our current disappointment with the established suppliers. How can we expect to swage a honest projectile if we're not being supplied with a honest jacket, let alone sell said projectile?

I could make things a lot easier for myself, but I've put some relatively difficult questions to all involved before fully committing. The questions might be difficult, but I don't see them as anymore intrusive than what they would demand of their suppliers. I'm looking forward to them stepping up, because I don't necessarily believe I need an increased supply of superior quality jackets, but more importantly a superior quality jacket supplier themselves. Hopefully good things to come for all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackie

I've been thinking about what you wrote concerning your bullet making venture. It could be that the chamber you were using didn't like the bullets. Did anyone else shoot those bullets besides you - can't remember (anything)?

I've been thinking about what you wrote concerning your bullet making venture. It could be that the chamber you were using didn't like the bullets. Did anyone else shoot those bullets besides you - can't remember (anything)?

Wilbur, back then I was using the old JGS 1045 reamer, .262 neck, .060 free bore, pretty standard stuff for that point in time. It shot Fowler bullets really well.

But to answer your question, I just don't know.

I gave the point up die to a friend, we new it made a small bullet, (actually a tad under .243 on the body), so we got the idea we could get some diamond lap and lap it out just a tad.

So, I made up some little lapping plugs out of dead soft copper, and got some "red" diamond lap. I checked the die up, and said what the heck, let's do it.

Keep in mind, I had never messed with diamond lap before. I figured it would take quite a while to get a few "tenths" out of that die.

Well, I worked it for a minute or so, we took it out of the lathe, put it in my press, and pointed up a seated core.

Jeez. I had no idea. The bullet now measured OVER .244 on the body.

Anyway, I could get a point up die and start making bullets again. Maybe in my next life.

Wilbur, back then I was using the old JGS 1045 reamer, .262 neck, .060 free bore, pretty standard stuff for that point in time. It shot Fowler bullets really well.

But to answer your question, I just don't know.

I gave the point up die to a friend, we new it made a small bullet, (actually a tad under .243 on the body), so we got the idea we could get some diamond lap and lap it out just a tad.

So, I made up some little lapping plugs out of dead soft copper, and got some "red" diamond lap. I checked the die up, and said what the heck, let's do it.

Keep in mind, I had never messed with diamond lap before. I figured it would take quite a while to get a few "tenths" out of that die.

Well, I worked it for a minute or so, we took it out of the lathe, put it in my press, and pointed up a seated core.

Jeez. I had no idea. The bullet now measured OVER .244 on the body.

Anyway, I could get a point up die and start making bullets again. Maybe in my next life.

Jackie, I can relate to THAT! Once upon a time, I filled a nice [Niemi] point die with Butch's Bore-Shine - just a whim don't ya know - and left it to 'work' . . . forgot the "work" for several days, as I "worked" on , "other stuff" . . .
when the die came back to mind, the cavity resembled a "bad road" following a "bad winter", it was pitted beyond belief!:p A cry to Bill Niemi settled me right down (saved me from the asylum): "follow my instructions and it'll be just fine", Bill advised.:cool:

BUT - considering I was messing with CARBIDE (something of which I yet know little), why not, instead of, "two complete in-and-outs" (with the diamond lap, on steel wool), do a couple of more - just for, "insurance" ?!!?:confused: Had some pretty nice .309x diameter bullets - Hoy, they shot GREAT!:eek: But, were too 'fat' to sell.

Mr. Nieme fixed them for a few bucks - I may have learned a lesson: follow instructions . . . I think. I like your quote, "Keep in mind, I had never messed with diamond lap before.";) RG

P.S. Whatever binds to carbide together, doesn't "like" Bore-Shine! :p

Back