New Bullet Jacket Business

Gary Walters

Found out about this new business on Facebook.
John Allen Culpepper (CEO Whiskey 3 Precision Systems LLC)
Email: whiskey3precisionsystems@gmail.com
They are making .224, 6mm, 6.5 and .30 jackets
Their website is undergoing maintenance.
Located in Georgia

2yo20oz.jpg

Last edited:
How consistent is the thickness of the jacket's wall ???

As I recall, that will be the critical determining factor on how successful this new venture will become.

Really that's news to me....

You might discuss jacket thickness with a custom bullet maker such as Ronnie Cheek or read up on the subject in Rifle Accuracy Facts by Harold R. Vaughn, Chapter 9, Bullet Imbalance, Page 176, upper half. Or use an x-ray or sonogram to sort for out-of-balance or asymmetry, or as Vaughn mentions circumferential variation [problems initiated within the jacket]. It's all fascinating stuff, isn't it? :)

You might discuss jacket thickness with a custom bullet maker such as Ronnie Cheek or read up on the subject in Rifle Accuracy Facts by Harold R. Vaughn, Chapter 9, Bullet Imbalance, Page 176, upper half. Or use an x-ray or sonogram to sort for out-of-balance or asymmetry, or as Vaughn mentions circumferential variation [problems initiated within the jacket]. It's all fascinating stuff, isn't it? :)

Obviously you're well read, but your post is directed to someone who makes his living making bullet die's....lol

Obviously you're well read, but your post is directed to someone who makes his living making bullet die's....lol

We're way off subject of course, but heaven forbid. It's still possible that someone who makes the world's most precise bullet making dies, could be a little behind Mr. Vaughn's knowledge in the area of aeroballistics/flight mechanics technology. We can all learn something new if we maintain an open mind.

We're way off subject of course, but heaven forbid. It's still possible that someone who makes the world's most precise bullet making dies, could be a little behind Mr. Vaughn's knowledge in the area of aeroballistics/flight mechanics technology. We can all learn something new if we maintain an open mind.

I believe Mr. Vaughn has been dead for how long now? Must be my mistake all advancement stopped at that point..Yes we can learn and there is new advancements being made all the time , seems your just not aware of them, sorry for your misinformation. I will give you a hint though as I have said for who knows how long material, material, material.....and yes I have tested jackets same mfg. .0001 tir and jackets .0008 tir that's not where its at.....Now maybe perhaps you can give some input with your experience....

Last edited:
I believe Mr. Vaughn has been dead for how long now? Must be my mistake all advancement stopped at that point..Yes we can learn and there is new advancements being made all the time , seems your just not aware of them, sorry for your misinformation. I will give you a hint though as I have said for who knows how long material, material, material.....and yes I have tested jackets same mfg. .0001 tir and jackets .0008 tir that's not where its at.....Now maybe perhaps you can give some input with your experience....

I don't make bullets and I don't make dies. I AM interested in the science of projectile flight and what influences it. Tell me about your testing and "where it's at." I'm willing to learn. Did Mr. Vaughn get it wrong? If he did, what have you discovered. What's the one thing that this new company has to get right to be a viable competitor? :)

I don't make bullets and I don't make dies. I AM interested in the science of projectile flight and what influences it. Tell me about your testing and "where it's at." I'm willing to learn. Did Mr. Vaughn get it wrong? If he did, what have you discovered. What's the one thing that this new company has to get right to be a viable competitor? :)

As much as I would love to tell them what to do to get it right, with all due respect, with my involvement with sta-moly and with Bart selling jackets I do not believe it would be the right thing to do. As for projectile flight there have been many before and after Mr, Vaughn Bryan Litz, McCoy, my friend Bill Davis, Mann, greenhill and on and on. The one problem I have with what Mr . Vaughn did is, all was basically computer generated even though the little gadget he made to check eccentricity of bullets was kind of neat. But the proof is on paper. and that was where his testing lacked. I have four different programs for bullet design on paper or on screen it might look good but when you make it sometimes it just doesn't work. Heres something for you to figure on jacket runout how many revolutions does a bullet make from muzzle to 100 yd. target lets keep it easy 14 twist barrel...George

As much as I would love to tell them what to do to get it right, with all due respect, with my involvement with sta-moly and with Bart selling jackets I do not believe it would be the right thing to do. As for projectile flight there have been many before and after Mr, Vaughn Bryan Litz, McCoy, my friend Bill Davis, Mann, greenhill and on and on. The one problem I have with what Mr . Vaughn did is, all was basically computer generated even though the little gadget he made to check eccentricity of bullets was kind of neat. But the proof is on paper. and that was where his testing lacked. I have four different programs for bullet design on paper or on screen it might look good but when you make it sometimes it just doesn't work. Heres something for you to figure on jacket runout how many revolutions does a bullet make from muzzle to 100 yd. target lets keep it easy 14 twist barrel...George

You don't have to tell anyone what to do to get jacket manufacturing right.

If your testing has been more sophisticated than Mr. Vaughn's [less computer modeling] please explain to interested readers, like myself, how your testing differed from his, what your testing indicated to you, and what conclusions you were able to draw from it for your own edification.

Please provide something more substantial than: "Really that's news to me..."

I really don't understand why this has to become a pissing match.

Just purchase some jackets and shoot them proof will be on the paper.

Russell, I would say because there is a lot of false information being thrown around, I don't feel its so much a piss ing match as trying to set the facts straight...I would have rather of sent a p.m. to let poster know he was mistaken in statements but for some reason couldn't send one to him..as for buying and testing that would be one approach, question I have is if they are not up to where we would like what ya gonna do with them. I have enough junk laying around from things that didn't work and with a lot of shooters being on fixed income this becomes a strain $$ wise. I'm sure you remember the powder issue a few years back new powder gonna be the greatest, I know a whole bunch bought into it and ended not shooting as there budget for powder was shot for the year and couldn't justify buying more. Benchrest is not a cheap sport and I would venture to say that it is painful for some on fixed income...

You don't have to tell anyone what to do to get jacket manufacturing right.

If your testing has been more sophisticated than Mr. Vaughn's [less computer modeling] please explain to interested readers, like myself, how your testing differed from his, what your testing indicated to you, and what conclusions you were able to draw from it for your own edification.

Please provide something more substantial than: "Really that's news to me..."

abintx, If you wish contact via p.m. or email , I tried to send you a p.m. but I can't. I am willing to discuss design or ballistics if you wish...

300ft x 12 inches per ft/ 14 twist = 257.142 revolutions, minus a very small loss of rpm along the way. Am I right?:D

abintx, If you wish contact via p.m. or email , I tried to send you a p.m. but I can't. I am willing to discuss design or ballistics if you wish...

Sorry to take up so much of your time. I'll contact Bart and Ronnie for any further discussion. Thanks.

Back