Need Shilen DGS Action barrel tenon specs

eggman

I need to rebarrel a Shilen DGA action that does not have an old barrel with it for me to go from . I was hoping someone on this forum would know what thread the action uses and the length and diameter of the tenon ?

Thanks,
Rodney

This answer was given a while back to the same question.

"DGA with a flat bolt nose. Receiver face to front of bolt = 0.750 inches so the tenon length should be 0.742 - 0.745 inches if you wanted a snug clearance or 0.740 inches if you wanted a bit more, that is without a recoil lug. The Shilen recoil lug that came with that action has a thickness of 0.2408 inches so if you were using a Remington style of lug you would have to increase the length of the tenon by the measured lug thickness.

DGA with a coned bolt nose. Tenon length = 0.865 inches, with no recoil lug. My coned bolt DGA's were PPC BR rifles and glued in so did not use a recoil lug but if you were using conventional bedding and a recoil lug you would again need to make the appropriate allowance for it on the tenon length. Remember also that if you are doing a barrel for a DGA with a coned bolt nose that the bolt nose angle is 25° per side not the 30° per side that you are used to doing for a Panda."

Thanks for the information . I haven't been able to pull off a search for Shilen DGA to find the thread pitch . Do you know if it is 16 or 18 tpi.?

I REALLY must not be a machinist! :)

Even when I have the spec's in my hand for a CNC'd custom action I measure the thing up manually!

LOL

al

Al,
That's just being careful. Even the BAT Machine co. Inc. drawings from Newlon have the disclaimer "WARNING: BAT Machine Co. Inc. upon request builds special and oddbal actions with dimensions that vary from this drawing and does not accept any liability from the use or misuse of this information. All actions should be "measured individually" ." LOL

Merry Christmas All ,

Rodney

The best thing to do on any action is to use a pitch gage to determine the thread pitch and a depth mike to determine the bolt face to receiver face depth and the depth that the tenon needs to be cut depending upon how the bolt fits to the barrel, ie. coned bolt, counterbore, flat. Any measurements you need to make the tenon, you can get from the action. You can use a dial caliper or digital caliper to determine the thread diameter. I was looking at the Newlon print for the Shilen DGA and was surprised that the tenon diameter is listed at 1.075" as that isn't a standard thread, but they may have been where the castings cleaned up when they were cutting the receiver threads. But, you can also get the major diameter from the minor diameter measurement for the pitch of thread of the receiver with a little help from a Machinist's handbook.

Back