NBRSA and good standing members

I have known Gene since 2004, in my opinion no other shooter has carried himself with more humility, more dignity and more respect toward other shooters than he has. Myself included! I have also known Wayne Campbell and Jack Neary for that same amount of time. Neither of them have ever shown me any hint of vindictiveness toward a fellow competitor.

Being in a position of authority, forces one to sometimes make decisions that will ultimately lead to someone else being unhappy. That is a decision that I feel sure these three gentlemen did not take lightly and a decision that I myself am glad I was not forced to make.

To put these guys in that position, because we trusted them, then to slam them for the tough decisions we ask them to make for us seems cowardly at best.

Is a lifetime ban severe? Of course it is, but I personally feel that each one of those guys ask himself before casting his vote, is there another way? And to each one of them, apparently the answer was no.

To all directors of the NBRSA, thanks for the work you do!

AS

Very well said Andy as I could not have said it any better.

I had more that I would like to say but Andy you said it BEST!!!!

Andy,

You are the first person I have ever heard use Gene's name and humility in the same sentence.

No person in BR has been more rude to me than Gene. (Raton 2016). I won't speak for others, but I am confident I am not alone.

Sorry, I don't really care to get into the politics of BR, Just want to shoot when I can, but that one knocked me off my seat.

That said, he had a decision to make, and I'm fine with that based on what I have been told.

But had it been handled differently/better would we have had the classic, and not rare, "scorned employee" reaction?

Mark

I have known Gene since 2004 ... I have also known Wayne Campbell and Jack Neary for that same amount of time.... .

Being in a position of authority, forces one to sometimes make decisions that will ultimately lead to someone else being unhappy. That is a decision that I feel sure these three gentlemen did not take lightly and a decision that I ... am glad I was not forced to make.

To put these guys in that position, because we trusted them....

...I personally feel that each one of those guys ask himself before casting his vote.

Andy, I'm puzzled over the above-quoted portion of your post.

Starting with the bolded text, it's unclear to me whether you're still talking about Gene, Wayne and Jack, or whether you've switched to talking about the BOD. If the former, see below; if the latter, I don't have an issue with the bolded text and following -- however, see below for the rest of the quote.

Query: Why were Gene and Wayne having to make a decision (and vote?) on whether to revoke Rodney's membership? Neither of them are on the BOD.

I’m a Vietnam Vet. When I got back from the War,I hired on with a Federal Law Enforcement agency. where I served this country in a very stressful and hazardous duty job for 31 years.

A co-worker friend of mine died in the line of duty in a Helicopter crash, while chasing smugglers in the Gulf of Mexico. They never found his body. That still bothers me. On one occasion I came close to being a name on the wall of Honor myself.

When I retired 18 years ago,I chose this sport,Benchrest Competition, because I like to shoot.

For me, this a recreational Sport, that has socially redeeming values. Values that are more important to me than actual Competition. The people I’ve met here possess an obsessive passion for the Sport, that is indeed addictive.

I have never heard of anybody ever getting banned forever from a Recreational Sport. Until now.

Sports are supposed to be fun, and few things make sports more fun than the people that you play with. This is especially true in a sport like Benchrest competition. where you are surrounded by a diverse group of overly excited people that don't get paid to play.

So,What do you have to do to get permanently banned from your favorite hobby/sport?

Well here is what the official Ban letter may look like.

THE VALLEY VIEW CO-ED SOCCER LEAGUE

Hello Mr Jones, after a meeting with the management of our league, we have unfortunately decided to ban you from our Co-ed soccer league because of your behavior. We have given you warnings on multiple occasions and it seems you still have not respected our authority.

Feel free to contact us by email with any questions you may have concerning our decision.

Here is a list of recorded incidents reported by other teams and coaches that we used to arrive at our decision.

12/6/15- Making a phone call while playing on the field.

12/6/15-refusing to wear shin guards

12/13/15-pretending to shoot Bow and Arrow at opposing players after scoring.

12/13/15-running into goal while hiding ball in shirt.

12/17/15-Sitting on opposing teams bench

12/17/15- wearing Cowboy hat during game

1/3/16- scoring 14 goals with 3 goal limit per player

1/3/16- red card

1/3/16 -changing jerseys after receiving red card and attempting to play remainder of match.

1/10/16- You followed all rules this week

1/17/16-eating banana on field

1/31/16-Giving birth to soccer ball after scoring

1/31/16-Altering the score board

1/31/16-wearing natural light tank top as uniform.

Sounds like a fun guy to have on your soccer team.:)

Glenn

Last edited:
Professional sports might be a little different. All of this seems a little childlike from the outside. Probably President Trump's fault!!

Mark/hunter

Mark,

I am not going to get into a disagreement you may have had with Gene because frankly i had no clue what it was about and therefore i have no right to comment on it. With that said, i used the word humility because i have stood in the background and witnessed first hand how Gene Buckys has carried himself as a HOF member, SuperShoot winner and World Champion. To me the word humility fit perfectly!

I will say this, IN MY OPINION, anytime you put 100 plus "Type A" personalities together, you are bound to have disagreements. It would bother me more, as a sport, if you didnt.

Hunter,

I am well aware of who the BOD's are and who did and did not cast the deciding votes. But thank you for clarifying, for those on this forum who are unaware of how the process works. I included Gene and Wayne because i feel sure as the President of the NBRSA (Gene) and the US Representative for the World Championships (Wayne), their opinions were probably taken into account by the BOD's.

AS

I received a phone last night from Rodney Brown and I asked him if he had his rifle tuned and ready for tomorrow and he kind of chuckled and said I shot 6 rounds and I said that good huh!!! Rodney proceeded to tell me a guy was there looking for Tom Steiner or Rod Brown. A new potential benchrest shooter drove from Cheyenne to check out this sport, so Rodney sat down with this gentleman and showed him the process and what he would need. Ken was just there to watch and learn and Rodney said if you drove all this way you are going to shoot!!! Rodney went and got his backup gun and they spent the rest of the day getting Ken ready for tomorrow. Ken was given a website where he could get his membership and when they finished he was headed to the room to get signed up.
For someone who has all this hate and discontent for the NBRSA he still goes out of his way at matches to grow the sport!!! You won't see that from Gene or Wayne or BOD when they are at a match!!
I received the results from this morning and Ken finished 7th out of 38. I would have to believe we have a new benchrest shooter!! This is just normal everyday matches for Rodney because I have personally seen others that he has stopped what he was doing to help a shooters out.

Mtnmax925

Mtnmax925,

If you think for one minute that you can convince anyone on this forum that people like Wayne Campbell and Jack Neary don't go out of their way to help someone at a match, you obviously don't get to many matches.

Try shooting a nationals or super shoot when every time you turn around someone is coming to you with an issue they need looked at on a rifle and Wayne stops what he is doing to correct it for them. Or go to one of Jack Neary's tuning sessions that he has been doing for the past several years. Both of them would go out of their way to help any shooter in need at any time. Even you!

AS

You won't see that from Gene or Wayne or BOD when they are at a match!!

I apologize for that Wilbur but with 18000 views, for those who don't personally know these individuals, and the commitment they have made to the sport of benchrest, it needed to be said.

AS

Well, I've know Gene about 25yrs, Wayne 20yrs, and most of the BOD for around 20yrs.
That being said, Audrey Brown was great to do business with in regards to my Adv. and any NBRSA questions. I never met Rodney.
All of that being said I have the utmost respect for Gene and the BOD. Remember, we elected them. If you disagree, run next time and then you can go forward with your agenda.
It is time to put this petty bickering behind us and get on with our shooting.

I love the NBRSA

The matches are well organized. The executive I have dealings with are helpful and have the best interests of the organization at heart. They are men of sound judgement and character. Target shooting is facilitated in a way that is an example to me and the friends that I shoot with.

I'm an NBRSA member and also the President of a regional shooting group in my area with over 1,000 members and from my experience, executive in the shooting sports deal with issues that are viewed passionately from all sides. Tough decisions are often not popular with all members however, when the health of the organization is first and foremost the organization benefits.

My support goes out to those who serve in the NBRSA, especially the board of directors and President. Being a shooter and an administrator can be a heavy burden when all you want to do is enjoy shooting.

Last edited:
Really Lou? That's how you feel? Again, to each their own.

In the big picture of life, I enjoy shooting competive matches. Whether NBRSA or IBS, I'm a member of both! If this issue bothers you so much then, "see ya". Enjoy shooting non-registered matches or whatever you have in your area.

It's time to get over this, and move on!

Really Lou? That's how you feel? Again, to each their own.

In the big picture of life, I enjoy shooting competive matches. Whether NBRSA or IBS, I'm a member of both! If this issue bothers you so much then, "see ya". Enjoy shooting non-registered matches or whatever you have in your area.

It's time to get over this, and move on!

Well said Lee. I have not met you, but I do agree with you.

Lou, stop stirring this pot. This is the same type of crap - threatening to influence others to leave, take matches and members to another organization that is likely why the directors ( that we ALL elected ) decided was happening, and why they did what they did. If you don't like it, fine, quit stirring the pot. Run for regional director again and get involved, in the meantime, quit trying to tear it apart.

And before someone makes the accusation, yes, I have known Gene many years. I have shot with him for several, he's helped me a tremendous amount, I've never seen him not help anyone, whether at a match or otherwise. This is a great sport with a lot of fine people in it, he's one of several that have been very helpful. Let's put this thing behind us, accept the boards decision, and go shoot.

Officers and Directors of the NBRSA

While at a local range Oct. 29th, I watched a man, without coercion or urging, take a first time visitor to that range, figuratively "under his wing" and introduce the visitor to Bench Rest. This man explained the concept of BR and the NBRSA. Next showed the visitor the shooting and loading equipment. He sat the visitor behind his rifle and coached him while he shot some groups. Then the visitor was instructed on loading and cleaning. After such an introduction to BR the visitor signed up for the week-end shoot using a loaner rifle and components from his mentor. This intro session took approx three hours. The mentor got no gratuity, or even a beer from anyone. The mentor introduced the visitor to BR simply for the joy of having a new competitor, to make a friend, and to get the visitor started correctly. It was an act of compassion fueled in part by his love of the sport and the absence of malice toward the NBRSA. I never heard a single word denigrating or disparaging the NBRSA. No suggestions to join the IBS.

The mentor was Rodney Brown. The same Rodney Brown that tells "lies and twisted truths" and "stirring the pot" and "stirring up hate and discontent" that got him "immediately and permanently disbarred" from the NBRSA. All of these are accusations, without even an example of a violation of NBRSA operating procedure. Rodney is one of possibly only a handful of people in the NBRSA that would give his time and extend himself in that way, considering that he had just been "excommunicated" from the organization for which he was recruiting a new member. Yes, I understand that Gene Bukys, Wayne Campbell, Jack Neary, and others would do the same for a visitor. The difference is that they haven't been permanently disbarred. It would appear to the casual observer that we need more Rodney Browns, not less.
Officers and Directors of the NBRSA, what have you done?

T. Wilson

While at a local range Oct. 29th, I watched a man, without coercion or urging, take a first time visitor to that range, figuratively "under his wing" and introduce the visitor to Bench Rest. This man explained the concept of BR and the NBRSA. Next showed the visitor the shooting and loading equipment. He sat the visitor behind his rifle and coached him while he shot some groups. Then the visitor was instructed on loading and cleaning. After such an introduction to BR the visitor signed up for the week-end shoot using a loaner rifle and components from his mentor. This intro session took approx three hours. The mentor got no gratuity, or even a beer from anyone. The mentor introduced the visitor to BR simply for the joy of having a new competitor, to make a friend, and to get the visitor started correctly. It was an act of compassion fueled in part by his love of the sport and the absence of malice toward the NBRSA. I never heard a single word denigrating or disparaging the NBRSA. No suggestions to join the IBS.

The mentor was Rodney Brown. The same Rodney Brown that tells "lies and twisted truths" and "stirring the pot" and "stirring up hate and discontent" that got him "immediately and permanently disbarred" from the NBRSA. All of these are accusations, without even an example of a violation of NBRSA operating procedure. Rodney is one of possibly only a handful of people in the NBRSA that would give his time and extend himself in that way, considering that he had just been "excommunicated" from the organization for which he was recruiting a new member. Yes, I understand that Gene Bukys, Wayne Campbell, Jack Neary, and others would do the same for a visitor. The difference is that they haven't been permanently disbarred. It would appear to the casual observer that we need more Rodney Browns, not less.
Officers and Directors of the NBRSA, what have you done?

T. Wilson
I Stand with you Truman.
Kelly Ellis

Back