My new hunting rifle!! photos

Butch, don't end up like me. Every time I buy an upper grade clays shotgun, I can't enjoy shooting it for fear of scratching it! That's why all of my hunting rifles are SS/synthetic.

My late shooting buddy had the worst luck in that area of anyone I know.
His first Citori had the stock converted to an adjutable comb version, and a good size chunk of wood chipped off when putting the stock back on the gun.

He bought a Winchester Super Grade, and dropped it before he got to the first station.

He finally bought his dream gun shortly before he died, an awesome Kreighoft.
He leaned it on the fence, next to a truck that had a Lab on a leash....and yes, the gun got tangled in the leash.

Gene,
I didn't need that! Actually I am terrible about doing things like your friend. I have 2 other rifles that David has done, a 458Lott and a 284 Winchester. The Lott is built on a CZ550 receiver and the 284 on a 1909 Argentine. The quality is about the same as the 7 Mauser. I shot the Lott a few times at the range and decided that I am not man enough for it. The 284 is a 1/2" MOA rifle from the bench and with flags. I will hunt with it some day.
Butch

Sorry - that is not a hunting rifle...

It is a gorgeous piece of functional art. I would shoot it once and retire it.

Butch

That is truly one nice rifle! You do need to take it hunting and shoot something with it at least one time. Just let the grandkids know it only has one operator.

Joe

Butch, I will tell David how much you are enjoying....

David Christman is a true artisan. He is a native of Delhi, LA, but worked for Bellsouth for years before he moved to Washington State. While in WA, he developed an interest in building rifles and after a few years he applied for and received membership in the Custon Gun Makers Guild.

After several years David moved back to Delhi to care for his aging mother. He brought his business back home; and I must say that our gain is Washington's loss. If you would like to talk with him about building a rifle, call him at 318-878-1395. He builds rifles for folks all over the US. Good Shooting...James Mock

David is a good friend of mine and has done a couple of rifles for me (although I haven't gone the full route of like Butch did, great rifle Butch). If you want to have work done by a perfectionist who is extremely knowlegable and gifted then David is your guy, he is a true craftsman in this age of chop shops. Even more important the man is the most honest person you will ever deal with.

I also have a Mexican '98 that I hide in the back of the safe so I am not tempted to send in to David and tell him to work his magic because if I did I wouldn't be able to buy a new BR barrel for years.

Beautiful rifle, the pictures made me drool all over my keyboard!

Contact Information?

Drop Dead Gorgeous
I have a pre 64 action I've been pondering what to do with........:D

Now Butch...

Hey Dusty,
My wife is in Calif. and I haven't checked the caller ID. I will be here until 10AM in the morning. This is another pic. I wish I knew how to post more than one photo per post.

Now Butch, because it is the Christmas season, I'm willing to do you a great favor. Since all that wonderful "fiddle back" grain in the stock indicates a very great weakness in the wood, I'm willing to take the rifle off your hands for a few hundred bucks. Think what you could do with these unexpected funds. How bout a new benchrest stock, or a new rest? These are the things you really need, not some glamor puss hunting rifle that may break the first time it's fired.

Only because of my great concern for you am I willing to make this offer for a limited time only. Whew...I'm getting to kind in my old age...

Your very concerned friend...virg.;)

Butch---I give credit where it is due and that one is a piece of work! Just go ahead and hunt with it-----you only go around once in this world!

Thanks David,
Looking forward to the one you are working on. I fireformed brass Sunday. I've got a Leupold blk matte 2.5x8 VariX111 that I am putting on it. Don't know when I will get out again to hunt this year. I do have a friend in Red River county that needs to cull 20 more does, but we have until the end of Feb. I believe.
Butch

I was just looking through a 2005 firearms auction catalog. One firearm up for sale was Ned Roberts favorite hunting rifle, a Neider custom Mauser in 7x57. It was almost as nice as yours.

Now Butch, because it is the Christmas season, I'm willing to do you a great favor. Since all that wonderful "fiddle back" grain in the stock indicates a very great weakness in the wood, I'm willing to take the rifle off your hands for a few hundred bucks. Think what you could do with these unexpected funds. How bout a new benchrest stock, or a new rest? These are the things you really need, not some glamor puss hunting rifle that may break the first time it's fired.

Only because of my great concern for you am I willing to make this offer for a limited time only. Whew...I'm getting to kind in my old age...

Your very concerned friend...virg.;)

Is that true ? "Fiddle back" is indicative of weakness in the wood? Does that mean it could crack there under recoil? How does that "Fiddle back " form in the wood? Was a branch there? Bad winter for growth?

Brian, You are too old to adopt. I couldn't bend you to my ways. Fiddleback is not a weakness in the wood and is very desireable. Check the grain flow from the forearm through the grip. That is important. I will try to post some photos of my 458Lott and you can check the grain flow on it.
Butch

Back