Mole Repellent

Signguy

alinwa,

I am just getting around to using your mole repellent. Where can I get castor oil?

My father in law wanted to know if this is castor oil that has had the poison taken out?

Thanks,

Tim

alinwa,

I am just getting around to using your mole repellent. Where can I get castor oil?

My father in law wanted to know if this is castor oil that has had the poison taken out?

Thanks,

Tim

Dunno nuttin' about no poison

I buy castor oil at Walgreens or any other drugstore.

IMO the Murphy's soap is only a wetting agent so if you can't find it try Lemon Joy or something but the mix as described is incredibly effective.

al

Dunno nuttin' about no poison

I buy castor oil at Walgreens or any other drugstore.

IMO the Murphy's soap is only a wetting agent so if you can't find it try Lemon Joy or something but the mix as described is incredibly effective.

al

al,
I came into this late but have a major mole problem. I take it you apply the castor oil around the tunnels? Info. please.

Thanks,
chino

Tim,
Most likely your father is just rattling your cage about the poison in Castor oil.
In the old days it was used by parents as a prevent all for kids and also as a laxative if memory serves me correctly. Yep I just looked it up on wiki.
And the thing was back then it was suppose to taste realllllly baaaaad. That's probably what he is referring to as the "poison".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil

I don't know what's in it, but the mere mention of Castor Oil, cured me several times when I was a kid.

Heheheheheh,
Thats what I am talking about. I think my grandmother gave me a dose of it back in the early 60's.
Never needed another dose.
NO WONDER MOLES STAY AWAY.

On another note you might be careful about what soap you use because some of those "nice" smelling additives might be an attractant. Find out whats in Murphy's.

I can faintly remember my mother trying to get me to gag down both castor and cod liver oils when I was a wee lad. The best use for castor (based) oil I can think of is Castrol R oil being burned in a premix 2 cycle engine. Unfortunately it usually requires a pocketful of spark plugs of various heat ranges to keep things moving forward (16:1 or 20:1 premix ratios).

Oh, moles. If you could get into the tunnels and run the exhaust from a 2 cycle engine into it using castor based oil in the premix that'd likely get rid of moles while aggravating the neighbors and spouse concurrently. Hey, three (or more) with one stone ain't bad.

OK, so here's the mix:

Castor oil, 4oz
Murphy's Oil Soap, 8oz
Cayenne Pepper, 2oz

And you need a blender. I have one dedicated to this use..... I pour in the soap, drop in the Cayenne and then the castor oil.

Blend thoroughly.

Now I dump 4oz of the mix into 30oz water and shake it up.

I've applied it with pump sprayers and sprinklers but the best for me is a Green Thumb product where you have a container that hooks right to the water hose and the mix is drawn out of a bottle and sprayed automatically. It's got a dial adjuster which I set at about 1/4 throttle........You just go 'round watering the mole hills with the garden hose.

DON'T WIPE YOUR EYES!!!!! Carry a clean towel for wiping the sweaty brow and don't spray the kids or dogs or cats. This stuff is basically bulk Pepper Spray, Capsaicin based using the castor oil as a carrier and the soap as a wetting agent to get it into the ground.

I have every mole trap and killer on the planet, legal and illegal, and a roll-around gas machine for blowing up the whole yard. I've tried flares and smokers and car exhaust and peeing on the mounds and garden hose and bait and granules and poisoned worms and shotgun and shovels and fireworks and human hair and my finger's getting tired and this stuff WORKS.

I WIN finally

al

Ohhh, and WEAR your steenking safety glasses when you punch the button on the blender????

unless you LIKE scrabbling around on hands and knees in a pool of vomit and mucus.......

Moles are there after the grubworms or other insects in the ground. Kill their food source and no more grubs! There used to be a product called Diazinon Granules,(looks like sawdust) broadcast on your entire lawn and water it in, not sure if it's still available, but kill whatever it's feeding on and no more moles.
Mack

And, of course, there is the little known Vole, which is a sub-terrainian mouse that eats roots and is frequently confused with Moles because they also tunnel. I didn't know about these vermin until we started losing all sorts of plants in our beds. One of my neighbors told me about the voles when I described what was happening to our plantings. They are damn near impossible to get rid of. I will try alinwa's method. I have already tried sprinkling pepper around in the beds, but my voles are apparently mexican or cajun. It didn't run them out. Maybe the liquid mix will be better.

Tim,
Most likely your father is just rattling your cage about the poison in Castor oil.
That's probably what he is referring to as the "poison".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil
From the article:
The castor seed contains ricin, a toxic protein. Harvesting castor beans is not without risk. Allergenic compounds found on the plant surface can cause permanent nerve damage, making the harvest of castor beans a human health risk. India, Brazil, and China are the major crop producers, and the workers suffer harmful side effects from working with these plants. These health issues, in addition to concerns about the toxic byproduct (ricin) from castor oil production, have encouraged the quest for alternative sources for hydroxy fatty acids.​
From the article on Ricin:
The LD50 (50% fatalities from an exposed population - Asa) of ricin is around 22 micrograms per kilogram (1.76 mg for an average adult, around 1/228 of a standard aspirin tablet (0.4g gross)) in humans if exposure is from injection or inhalation. Oral exposure to ricin is far less toxic and lethal dose can be up to 20–30 mg/kg.​
And
Despite ricin's extreme toxicity and utility as an agent of chemical/biological warfare, it is extremely difficult to limit the production of the toxin. Under both the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention and the 1997 Chemical Weapons Convention, ricin is listed as a schedule 1 controlled substance. Despite this, more than 1 million tonnes of castor beans are processed each year, and approximately 5% of the total is rendered into a waste containing high concentrations of ricin toxin.

To put ricin used as a weapon into perspective, it is worth noting that as a biological weapon or chemical weapon, ricin may not be considered very powerful in comparison with other agents such as botulinum or anthrax...

The major reason it is dangerous is that it is very easy to obtain (the castor bean plant is a common ornamental, and can be grown at home without any special care). Ricin is actually several orders of magnitude less toxic than botulinum or tetanus toxin, but those are more difficult to obtain.​

It is speaking of the "harvest" and "production" not about the product "castor oil" itself.
Though maybe through misreading articles like this is why he asked the question.

Just like the Botulinum toxin in BOTOX.

Many other things in 3rd world countries cause problems just because they dont take precautions.

Last edited:
Diazanon worked for me, I had to broadcast some on the neighbours before it took effect but kill the grubs and get rid of the moles.

Sorry guys it has taken so long to get back on this. Very busy at work.

My father in law said the plant or tree was poisonous as the previous post stated. But is refined to use as castor oil which is not harmful. He is a mole nut and thought that the poisonous type would run off the moles but did not believe in the other stuff.
He himself hunts them. He sits with a 12 gauge and waits for them to start digging, then he shoots them them he knows there location. I for one don't have that kind of patients and the moles I have are where my utilities are coming through my property. I don't want to risk it.
I have to say i used Al's recipe and the next day there was two fresh hills and that has been all since. I am hoping I ran them off for a while.

Thanks Al.

Tim

I wonder if citric..................

preparations would work as well; I heard/read somewhere that a citric prep made from orange peels was effective in getting rid of fire ant colonies in Texas. The info was that the colonies remained abandoned for more than five years; five years being the amount of time the colonies so treated had remained abandoned at the time the report was published. I wonder if this would work as well, w/out having to go through all the mixing....

I ALSO thought Ricin was derived from the shell of the castor bean, and had to be specially extracted, I never knew it posed a hazard to casual contact.

Al,
Once again I'm amazed at your knowledge. I, like you, have tried everything known to man to get rid of these critters but not this. I'll pick up the ingredients and try, which are much cheaper than those rubber worm things.

Thanx

Forget about castor beans, they are toxic and can cause death in a child or pet. Forget chemicals. Just get several small ( pony ) bottles , empty them of contents and place them neck up in the mole burrow. A small amount of wind across the top of the bottle sets up a resonant noise that will make them leave the premises. Be sure to remove bottles before mowing. Some of my friends use Bud or Miller Lite for their source of bottles. Not BS !

Jim

Forget about castor beans, they are toxic and can cause death in a child or pet. Forget chemicals. Just get several small ( pony ) bottles , empty them of contents and place them neck up in the mole burrow. A small amount of wind across the top of the bottle sets up a resonant noise that will make them leave the premises. Be sure to remove bottles before mowing. Some of my friends use Bud or Miller Lite for their source of bottles. Not BS !

Jim

Jim,
I actually bought a gizmo called a 'Mole Thumper' many years ago which was supposed to do something similar. The only thumping that took place was the assault on my wallet. They made their way to the pile of 'everthing that was supposed to do something' but failed pile.

Al, do you know whether the spray will damage plants? Since it has castor oil in it, I was jusr wondering. Thanks for sharing; I have all the ingredients & the hose end sprayer, just need this one other tidbit of info & I'll be ready to wage war on those pesky voles I mentioned. Will let everyone know the outcome. Thanks, Joe

Back