Mandatory Superfeet use

I went to a tractor pull a few years back. The winner was "torn down" after his win and was disqualified for having his governor cranked just a little too tight. They checked the 2nd place finisher No no. DQ. So the 3rd place guy was almost declared the winner but noooo. Long story short, the race was called as no one was qualified. But it was still fun to watch.

Francis as always you have a good story to tell. My wife requested a trip to the movies for a B-Day present to see Lincoln, a great movie, he too always had a story to tell.;)

I never saw so much nitpicking in my life. I think the bottom line will be if a clubs benches are repeatedly damaged then there is little incentive to continue holding matches, most clubs are used by multiple groups and if the other groups have to deal with real or percieved damage form BR matches then they will gripe enough to the club officers/members/directors to shut down the shoots.

I guess I have to say something, Can't stand the crying! Or club has plywood tops on cement, they are made to be flipped when they get beat up. We all help with this at or work parties. The tops usually last 4-5 years, so if the club needs money, we ask for donations. So wilbur if they won't let you use a hammer come shoot with us!

Joe Salt

I haven't used feet to date as I've seen shooters struggle with issues related to 'em.....specifically the material between the feet and the bench top being the culprit.

Both my rests use carbide points on the front. On my Hart I use a 'feet' (foot? ;)) on the rear....a .375 thick steel disc with a 60 degree counterbore for the rear screw and a bit of concrete anti-slip on the bottom of the disc.

My project for today (if the hospital pager stays quiet) is a set of feet made from these 2.5" dia. .500 thick brass rounds:

superfeet.jpg

Not a bad way to spend the day, as it's -3 degrees and pretty frosty 'out my back door':

backdoor.jpg

If they suck, I can use 'em as paperweights. -Al

Al there you go, why doesn't everyone use SUCTION CUPS! This will save every ones benches. There are some nice ones out there that work like clamps.

Joe Salt

Most clubs have gravel/dirt driveways in and out. Do they ever get graded? Does the roof get re-roofed? Same thing with benchtops; some restraint by the contestants and some repair work on a 10 year program and life is smooth.

Yes to they do, but if we see them spinning their tires on the gravel and tearing it up, they're going to get a lecture and a bill for the repair work.

Here's an idea for Benches

These are examples of some all metal benches,in use at one of the local Ranges. These have been in use for a very long time. They are very stable. I don't care for the permanently attached seats, but This design/construction seems to have eliminated the possibility of user damage to the tops.

DSC00092.jpg

Glenn

These are examples of some all metal benches,in use at one of the local Ranges. These have been in use for a very long time. They are very stable. I don't care for the permanently attached seats, but This design/construction seems to have eliminated the possibility of user damage to the tops.

DSC00092.jpg

Glenn

Lets see you guys pound your rest points into that.

Leaving top damage alone for the moment, does the range actually hold sanctioned CF benchrest matches that are shot from those benches....really?

does the range actually hold sanctioned CF benchrest matches that are shot from those benches....really?

No they don't hold santioned Benchrest matches at this range. The ranges that do hold bench rest matches might explore the possibility of copying this design to prevent damage to bench tops. If that is a growing concern. These benches have seen plenty of use for a long time.

Glenn

I have never shot off of steel, but I would bet that if I knew that I was going to, that I would definitely make some provision for keeping my rear bag from sliding around...which can be done, with out too much trouble. I understand that the same situation can happen on concrete benches that have a super slick finish. On the super feet, I would probably be cleaning the rubber with Chemtool, just before I positioned them. I hadn't really considered steel plate. Does anyone out there have any experience shooting from it?

Steel top

I have never shot off of steel, but I would bet that if I knew that I was going to, that I would definitely make some provision for keeping my rear bag from sliding around...which can be done, with out too much trouble. I understand that the same situation can happen on concrete benches that have a super slick finish. On the super feet, I would probably be cleaning the rubber with Chemtool, just before I positioned them. I hadn't really considered steel plate. Does anyone out there have any experience shooting from it?

Well....FWIW,Ive shot off one the metal benches in the picture in an informal VFS match,held at this range. I used my Bald Eagle front, with super feet and edge rear bag. My Sporter( 6PPC) and me got second place with a 250 and 20X's. The winner had a 250 and 21X's. No special preparations were done by me for rear bag movement. The Super feet held the front rest firmly in place. I don't remember having to fiddle with the rear bag during the match. The people that came up with the idea of steel tops,probably got fed up with banged up benches.

Glenn

DSC00092.jpg

Glenn, Where are these benches? What is the thickness of the top?
It sure looks like a hip pointer fixing to happen.

Bill…I'm guessing that the thickness of the top is a 1/4 inch or more. I've managed to bump into benches with concrete tops. it hurts a little. I thought I would share this example of an all Steel Bench. I bet a more Benchrest shooter friendly design is possible with a little planning. I've heard that a special kind of spray covering can be used on the top to make it non-slippery. Steel top benches may not be in the plans for Ranges that hold benchrest matches. It certainly is an option to prevent damage from banging on rest feet.

Glenn

I too was at Kansas City when Joe had his Rail move on the bench, that shot went WAAAYYY down and to the right if I remember.
The reason every body seems to remember this incident is because Joe was on a real real tear that day. We would watch him sit and wait on that condition and let her rip. He had it won, period.

When he looked through the scope after that last shot and saw what had happenned, he also set a record for the cartridge block toss behind the back;) I can't say as I blame him.

Our Benches at Tomball are probably 40 years old. They look it too. But nobody bitches about the condition of the tops. They just B**** about the conditions.

If ranges choose to have prohibitions concerning pointed feet, and using a hammer, then that is their perogative. Shooters will have to decide as individules whether to go to matches at those ranges. ...........jackie

Access to shooting ranges is critical to the survival of the Sport. Range equipment maintenance is critical to the Sport,as evidenced in post#129. I've been using rest feet since they first hit the scene. This was before the current "Superfeet" became available. James Pappas let me try some of his early designs. He may not remember.Its been a while ago. I immediately saw the benefit to bench top protection. It doesn't surprise me that this requirement is being put in place. It's cheaper than installing Metal tops.:)

Glenn

Back