Making a "shorter" action

Here is one that is 1/2" shorter than a model 7, has an integral recoil lug, uses 2 remington front bases and remington pattern triggers. It also has a cone breech and a Sako extractor no ejector. Brad Stair at 801-731-8152 makes these.

If the photos are correct it is interesting that when the bolt is closed the extractor is "buried" on the solid side of the action... considerable safer that way... but it would not work with an ejector...

Pal, all what you're suggesting is a bizzar concept. More pain the gain. Rad

My bolt action receiver using AR15 bolt parts and thread for the barrel is inserted in an aluminum tube. Very short and very light. I can email photos as I still haven't learned how to post them.
Butch
papawlambert@starband.net

JEEPERS Butch..... the cocking force on that thing must be horrendous! :D you're going to need a 12" bolt hannle.

Cool looking idea'r....... how ARE you planning on cocking it?

Or an I missing something?

al

Here is the latest draft. I have changed the slope on the top of the action to and arc as opposed to a straight chamfer to allow for a uniform thickness around the barrel and bolt lugs. This shouldnt be a machining problem if the action isnt to long for the wire EDM. The extracting cam is on now and from all i can calculate "in time" but it will proably need some hand work to smooth it up later. I still havent taken the measurements off of a remington trigger so the trigger slot and pin holes arent in yet. The action has been sized up in all ways. The bolt is bigger the lugs are bigger and the barrel shank can now be .75 or longer if I recess the barrel for the nose of the bolt.There is also more material behind the "top" lug. The bolt handle Is looking to be a fun project with alot of hand work (the modeled one isnt quite what i am wanting but works for basic clearence testing).

actionpic3.jpg

actionpic4.jpg

actionpic7.jpg

"The bolt handle Is looking to be a fun project with alot of hand work (the modeled one isnt quite what i am wanting but works for basic clearence testing)."

Ohhhh Yeahhhh, that modeled one is CUTE!! :rolleyes:

NOT!!!

LOL

al

Pal, you're still persisting so this is what you've asked for.

Steel 4340, receiver austempered to 40-42 HRC, bolt austempered to 43-44 HRC. Bolt clearence 0.006" for general hunting, 0.003" for a bench clean environment. For a clean environment you can use Bordens bumps with 0.001" clearence to tighten the bolt when it's locked. 5/8" long tennon is rather marginal. Finish all final dimensions after hardening on a single set-up. Rad

John,
If I ever get the bug to finish it, I will consider it. I am wearing myself out doing a rear iron sight for my Pierce receiver, octagon barrel hunting rifle. I machined a bunch of chips yesterday and today and am not happy with the result.
Butch

JEEPERS Butch..... the cocking force on that thing must be horrendous! :D you're going to need a 12" bolt hannle.

Cool looking idea'r....... how ARE you planning on cocking it?

Or an I missing something?

al

Would it be feasible on opening (cocking) to rotate to the second lug opening before extracting the bolt... that would allow a lot more camming of the cocking piece... or is there a reason you have to only rotate to the first "opening"?

OK major wrench thrown in the project.

Today I was scheduled to run the wire EDM that I was told had the capacity to do 6"......well It has the cap. of ~4.75". My piece was cut to 5.75 as planned but figuring it would break budget if the EDM wasn't free. I cut it to 4.625 and proceeded to have the profile cut.

The worst case would be that this short of action won't be doable at all and I will have to scrap it(if so I am only out $43), but I see this as sort of a challenge now. How short is too short?

I can cut back on the feed port by .5 or more and the tang isn't a really crucial dimension to keep either.

Any other Ideas for shaving length?

guess It will really be a "shorter" action

Sawyer

Here is the action so far

100_0642.JPG

100_0643.JPG

100_0645.JPG

100_0646.JPG

100_0647.JPG

100_0648.JPG

The bolt pictured is from a Rem 700 SA and the round pictured is a 221fb.

Thanks,
Sawyer

It had some slight discoloration when it came out of the EDM so we just blasted it to remove the "soot" or small layer of the burnt metal. As you can see the bolt raceway hasnt been blasted but has a similar finish but with a brown green tint. That is what the EDM leaves.

Sawyer

It is looking good, so far. Keep us informed as you do the trigger hanger opening and bolt stop, etc.
Is the extraction cam surface finished? How does it seem to function? It doesn't look like it matches the cam follower surface on a Rem bolt handle very well. Did you do the tenon threads before the raceways or are you going to mill the threads now?

I hope you have enough room in the back ring for the bolt stop to be all the way to the rear. If it isn't the bolt may not come far enough back to eject the rounds.
Butch

Back