Lying

Mike writes, Thanks for the thread guys, it does help a new shooter (not BR, yet). Just starting into shooting and not sure where I plan to take it, but shooting with factory rifle right now and trying to get the 5 shot groups down below 1in @ 100yd right now.

Could always show a 2, 3 or 4 shot group that measures pretty good, but that is not what I am after. Just starting down the path, doesn't seem likely I would have anything yet - eyes aren't what they used to be and there is a lot to learn first. The journey is part of the fun anyhow.

Mike-- I am much less experienced than many of the people who post here. Even so . . . . .

As a newcomer to the "small groups" effort, do you have a good set-up on your range table? This can be important. A good quality front rest of the factory-made type can really help, as can a good rear sandbag.

If you reload, continue to experiment with different powders and bullets. This CAN make a real difference.

Don't take groups too seriously if there's significant wind -- especially changeable breezes that veer around. The guys on this forum are often experts on reading wind -- but some of us do not have that experience or "know how." So for many of us, a bad wind day is not going to show the gun at its best.

Good luck--

I won't say I make some long shots but,lately I have gone to moly coated rock salt bullets when deer hunting so that the deer won't spoil before I can get over to them-the first liar doesn't have a chance. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement Pete. Have a Caldwell Rock and one of their rear bags, it works OK for what I need right now.

Yes to handloads, though just starting with those. Have loaded maybe 150 at this point. Did see the difference in load though last weekend, loading some SMK 69gr over some Varget. Working up the load from the low side and the last 5 rounds shoot real nice.

More range time is probably going to help more than anything right now. The rifle (Savage Model 12, .223 with a 1:7 twist) is much better than the guy behind it at this point - all the same it is fun punchin paper. Figure the rest will come if I pay attention.

If one could accurately measure those 400, 450 or whatever shots they would be 85, 120 and 140 yards MANY times. Range estimation is difficult.

All men have problems estimating distances. Just ask any guy you know to hold his hands six inches apart. ;)

Mike--

Interesting your rifle. I have a Savage Model 12 in 22-250. It is in the "varminter" weight. About a 12 lb. gun.

Mine shoots pretty good, but I'm having impact shifts as the barrel heats up. Even so, the rifle has done some impressive groups -- some recently.

For those of us who buy an "off the shelf" rifle at an affordable cost, the Savage Model 12 is a pretty good buy.

My rifle is 1/12 twist, so I am mainly using the 52, 55, and 60 gr bullets.

I purchased some seating depth guages -- an O.A.L. guage and a so-called "bullet comparator." This allows the shooter to identify the exact point the bullet engages the lands, and then to back off a couple of hundredths of an inch.

Both guages together only cost about $60 or $80. If you have a birthday coming up, this is an idea!

I have about 500 rds. through mine-- bought it last summer.

Good luck!

Mike--

Interesting your rifle. I have a Savage Model 12 in 22-250. It is in the "varminter" weight. About a 12 lb. gun.

Mine shoots pretty good, but I'm having impact shifts as the barrel heats up. Even so, the rifle has done some impressive groups -- some recently.

For those of us who buy an "off the shelf" rifle at an affordable cost, the Savage Model 12 is a pretty good buy.

My rifle is 1/12 twist, so I am mainly using the 52, 55, and 60 gr bullets.

I purchased some seating depth guages -- an O.A.L. guage and a so-called "bullet comparator." This allows the shooter to identify the exact point the bullet engages the lands, and then to back off a couple of hundredths of an inch.

Both guages together only cost about $60 or $80. If you have a birthday coming up, this is an idea!

I have about 500 rds. through mine-- bought it last summer.

Good luck!

Pete, I just got the Hornady LAL (old Stoney Point) OAL gauge in last week, along with a Sinclair "bullet comparator". Still 'feeling' may way around with these new instruments. The best 5 shot group was made after adjusting the bullet out from loading manual of 2.260 to OAL reading of 2.373 and set back by .020 off the lands.

This was all with the 69gr SMK, but with the 7 twist .223 have some Bergger 77gr and SMK 77gr to try next. Not a lot of powder, but have some Varget, Benchmark, H322, H4895 and H4198. Hope to find what looks like a good bullet weight and powder combo to fine tune from. Course the 100+ degree heat will keep me making adjustments for the rest of the summer - then fall can start over again. :cool: All part of the fun, besides only have just over 100 rounds down the tube on the Model 12, so it's not broken in yet - took almost 300 for the sporter barrel on the Model 11 (.223 also, but it will change later to a 6-223).

Friend of mine once worked the night shift at a convenience store, almost every hunter and gun nut who worked nights stoped there for their midnight coffee. After deer hunting season everybody was coming in and bragging on their long range hits. My friend being from Main and never taking a shot at a deer past 75yrds was impressed with the multitude of 200 to 450 yrds shots claimed. After a while he started to ask "how far is that from here at the store." They would look out the window and pick out some landmark and say "out to that tree, sign or whatever" After collecting a dozen or so stories, after work one day he paced it off. Every single claim was more than double actual yardage

They would look out the window and pick out some landmark and say "out to that tree, sign or whatever" After collecting a dozen or so stories, after work one day he paced it off. Every single claim was more than double actual yardage

One reason why I walk around with a range finder and try guessing the yardage before putting the laser on it. Amazing what I used to think 200 yards was more like 140. Sure helped with range estimation

ML

Worst part about all the lying that goes on is when someone actually does pull a miracle shot out of his a$$ he doesn't want anybody to hear about it cuz they will for sure think he's lying anyway.

I was hunting Antelope a few years ago with a friend who's a very good shot. I watched him shoot an Antelope thru the blk patch on the throat at 358 paces on a dead run. When the critter fell he looked at me and said no point in repeatin that story cuz in the 1st place it was pure luck and in the second place I don't want to be known as a liar from now on.

I told him not to worry since I saw it and still didn't believe it. This is the first time I ever told the story, and probably the last.

Well, I have a true story about me shooting with my father-in-law just after I married his daughter many years ago. We nailed a paper plate on a board and set it out about 50 yards against a tree.

He had a Remington 30/06 in a semiautomatic He fired first off hand and hit about 1" from the center. I was very impressed. I told him that I would have to hit the nail to beat that and, lo and behold, when I fired the plate slid off the board.

If any person would question this story I could show them a hammer like the one I used and even the same kind of nail.

Concho Bill

in my younger days i did not even use a deer rifle to git a deer, i jest run up behind him and stuck my finger up his butt then set my heels and crooked my finger, then drug him back to camp !!
last time i chased a buck fer four miles with my finger up his arse but could'nt
git it crooked....guess i'm gittin old and better buy a slingshot:D

Gambler-just get one of those butt removers and use it in place of your finger. They also have a T one them-that would give you something to hold onto. Should work great. Please tape and place on Utube for all to see.

in my younger days i did not even use a deer rifle to git a deer, i jest run up behind him and stuck my finger up his butt then set my heels and crooked my finger, then drug him back to camp !!
This side of the world, that's called the buttonhole grip & is used to catch greasy pigs at fairs! ;)

one-holer??

The best one I heard was told to me by a junior who had just been drumed out of the Peace Corp. I had just put ten years of active military service behind me in 1965. Seems that his yarn to top me in the pressence of others was that he'd witnessed someone firing an M-16 on full auto at 100yds(on a Military Range) and cut out a 1" hole in the center/bullseye of the target. My response was that I just did not believe him. His response was that I was calling him a liar-and that went back and forth a few times-and I still wouldn't believe it!!! Stan-share your sport

i hunt squirrels with stones, i have to throw with my left hand cuz i tare them up too much with my right;)

that reminds me of the SECOND most painfull thing what ever happened to me....i waz huntin in bear country and mother nature called, so i dropped my drawers and squatted right down on a big ol bear trap:eek:

Back