Lying

"In shooting an old sage once told me that the bigger the lie the smaller the male appenadge"

While in the Marine Corp we used to say "He that brags the most has the least"

Politics and shooting are the same. Sight unseen they tell what they can do for you and in reality they can't deliver but modify the promise to fit the situation...

I've never been inclined to check out the size of other guy's family jewels like some of you apparantly have. Not that there's anything wrong with that.:cool:

Ray

I've never been inclined to check out the size of other guy's family jewels like some of you apparantly have. Not that there's anything wrong with that.:cool:

Ray

No problem in the barracks shower or when in the field and the only sink you have is your helmet

Why all the pissin` and moanin`.:confused:

Since when has anyone let a little thing like the truth stand in the way of a good story? :rolleyes:

If shooters are this bad just think what it must be like on the fishing websites :eek:.

I don't think the guys are aware of the lying, they just don't have the real stats from formal matches. The loose talk doesn't bother me one bit. When you are competing everybody on the line knows who can shoot and who can't. If I'm just shooting some groups for fun, the targets do the talking. I just try to have fun and help anybody that asks. I think all the good bench shooters know what's possible and what's not, no need to bust any bubbles.

Thanx, Russ

Dew ...

I've been reading threads on this site for years. Without naming any names or pointing out any threads, my question is simply... WHY IS THERE SO MUCH LYING?

Shooters like me that have been around a long time and have seen these various threads will know what I mean.

So....

"It will shoot a half inch group...'all day long'.
"I get .2 inch groups with my "hunting rifle at 100 yards".
"I shot that deer at 400 yards while he was running...."

Comments?:)

Who cares ??? Life is too short to worry about other people's SMALL stuff. :)

Lately I've been shooting a lot of one hole groups........................I can't afford to shoot but one shot at a time what with the price of components.

So you're all sayin' that my Siberian tiger/Polar bear hunt with CBs isn't true:eek: I swear they were shot at over 2500yds each ,1shot a peice through their ears with open sights with 75 mph winds quartering away. I'm Flummoxed I don't know what to say except FISHERMAN DON'T LIE :p they get suntroke/seasick which gives them/us/ me Halucinations which is NO FAULT of OUR OWN.;)

Better not take them fishing. :D:D

My favorite guys are the ones passing through deer camp: 'The toppers'....no matter what story from hunting to near death experience, they always got a one up & it makes for some good razzing when they aren't around.

You gotta view it as free entertainment or the visions of slapping them will drive you insane. :D:D

pf
<><

"Semi-true story"

I like Jimmy Buffetts song line- "It's a semi-true story, believe it or not. I made up a few things, and there's some I forgot. But the life and the telling their both real to me. They all come together and turn out to be...a semi-true story"

mystery solved...

well now we know abut the fisherman...it is the "sunstroke"......sooo it must be the frost bite with the deer hunters......and that deer rifle of Lynn's does shoot good...I shot it at Sacremento and it;s a dandy.....and ...I have a 30-06 that shoots one ragged lil' hole.....each time I pull the trigger!! ..and they are usually a cupla inches apart at 100yds....((as "B"enchrest folks wuld say ..."a low 2"...which is 2 inches and down near the bottom of the target!!)).....when shooting stops being fun I will take up fishin or golf..NOT....Roger

It's delusion, and deception, and most have no conscious thoughts about it..

Delusion is a basic human need. We delude ourselves to fill in for the lacking (like esteem, security, social life, etc).

Usually passive, people don't realize they're caught up in it. We don't dive to the floorboard when an oncoming car whips by ours at at a relative 120mph. We B**** about the homeless, even while a few paychecks from it. We'll imply that something we purchased is great, even if not. We delude ourselves into the perspective that all we do is an achievement, and that it is right.
Part of human nature..

Deception is a line crossed, into active delusion. When lacking just isn't good enough, an implication might be made that leads away from truth. Not technically a lie, but malicious even if on the subconcious level.
Reference the recent '1200yd shot, 300 RUM' thread for a view of this.
The guy who's compelled to one-up everyone,, he's Livin' da Vida Loca,, he's Elvis,,
He's also FOS

Shake the perspective that this isn't you. Or atleast, a little part of you. And me..

You guys are crazy. My gun shoots one hole groups all the time. I just shot in a club match the other day and had 25 of them in a row. It was a 232/6X also.:D

One hole hunting rifles

After shooting 100 yard benchrest at our club for a few years, I must say I have truly enjoyed watching 1/4 MOA, one hole factory rifles somehow turn into 3/4 MOA rifles on a regular basis.

I have also seen how hard it is to actually agg under .200 with a BR rifle!

Enjoying this thread.

I belive and will maintain the opinion that nothing but full blown Benchrest rifle (including score rifles) can and will shoot honest 5-5 aggregate under .250. Yes it is damned hard to shoot aggregate under .200 even if you pick the condition your self.

I also belive that very few factory rifles can and will shoot honest 5-5 aggregate under .500

If one could accurately measure those 400, 450 or whatever shots they would be 85, 120 and 140 yards MANY times. Range estimation is difficult.

Thanks for the thread guys, it does help a new shooter (not BR, yet). Just starting into shooting and not sure where I plan to take it, but shooting with factory rifle right now and trying to get the 5 shot groups down below 1in @ 100yd right now.

Could always show a 2, 3 or 4 shot group that measures pretty good, but that is not what I am after. Just starting down the path, doesn't seem likely I would have anything yet - eyes aren't what they used to be and there is a lot to learn first. The journey is part of the fun anyhow.

Back