LV Rifle weight question.

J

Jan

I know the weight limit is 10.5 #. What variance is allowed for scale error? Is it 10.54 max ? TIA............. Jan

I know the weight limit is 10.5 #. What variance is allowed for scale error? Is it 10.54 max ? TIA............. Jan
Hey Mr S. I think it differs between the IBS and the NBRSA. IBS rules are on the IBS site, NBRSA?? who knows where they are??

I cannot find a variance rule in the NBRSA rule book, BUT, many ranges do not even weigh the rifles before during or after the contests. I do not really care what weight opponents use in
competition. I just want to be w/i the rules. TIA.......... Jan

Last year I shot gulf coast hunter class, came in second went to stat house and was DQed. 3oz over. I believe they said 2oz is the margin. I shoot 700 rem action changed the bolt scraud to alum sinclair, they weighed it today 1oz under.

In IBS you are allowed a 1-ounce leeway: 10-lbs. 9-oz. is MAX with the gun in competitive form. If you use any appurtenances like sun shades, mirage shields, etc., they must be included in the weight.

I have e-mailed our Regional Director so I reckon I'll get the straight skinny soon, I hope! Thanks.............Jan

Thanks guys. I did find it in the Rule book, Revision 37, page 39, thanks to Don Nielson. This being said I arrived at 10.52 pounds as being the limit. Again, thank you..........Jan

In IBS you are allowed a 1-ounce leeway: 10-lbs. 9-oz. is MAX with the gun in competitive form. If you use any appurtenances like sun shades, mirage shields, etc., they must be included in the weight.

In IBS there is one OZ. allowed for scale error , not for gun weight. if your rifle is one ounce heavy and scale is reading 1oz high you are in trouble Period !
I believe in building a rifle at least a couple oz light as some day you are going to travel a long distance and meet a scale that says your gun is overweight if you insist on cutting it close . And what your gun weighed at 6 other ranges is not likely to convince them their scale is wrong.

Last edited:
In the NBRSA the clubs are suppose to have "Certified Weights" on site to be positive the weight is correct. This is costly and the weights have to be re-certified every 3 years.

Registered Match

I cannot find a variance rule in the NBRSA rule book, BUT, many ranges do not even weigh the rifles before during or after the contests. I do not really care what weight opponents use in
competition. I just want to be w/i the rules. TIA.......... Jan

The weight rule applies during registered matches. Usually only the top few shooters are called for a weight check. At the Nationals, all rifles are weighed. If this requirement is not met, one can forget about submitting any targets for a record consideration.

Virg

In the NBRSA the clubs are suppose to have "Certified Weights" on site to be positive the weight is correct. This is costly and the weights have to be re-certified every 3 years.
Jan, just wondering where it says that the weights have to be re-certified every 3 years. It's hard for me to see the official weights changing in weight from one year to the next or ever. I try to have an ounce under on my rifles, just to be safe and I have a set of official weights to check my scales.

State of Nevada requirement. It probably does not apply to BR as there is not any monetary exchange concerning proper weight. Certifcation would be best. How many clubs Hunky Dory the weights by using barbell weights to test their scales, or worse? At least we "know " ours are right. Actually it is of no avail when you participate at an event where the scales are not correct as that IS the scale ( even if it is incorrect ) that they are going by ;-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Weighing and weights have been discussed several times before.
Ill bring up the point that I have brought up before.
At different clubs I have seen different procedures concerning WHEN guns are weighed for registered matches.
Some weigh at registration, some before the commence fire of the first match, some randomly during the match, some only the winners.
I witnessed a man DQed on the second day of a match because they weighed at the beginning of the 2nd day.

There are those that always bring up the point that it is the competitor's responsibility to make sure their gun is within specs.
While this is true the only guarantee that any of us would have would be that we buy our own certified weight, since many of us dont have access to scales and weights prior to matches.

Why is it so difficult to just make it mandatory to either weigh at registration? OR at least before the first match?

Vern,
I agree, but it'll never work! Your suggestion makes too much sense! "They never did it before, that's not how we use to do it, they don't do it that way, we always did it this way". It will not surface UNTILL someone brings it up, always too late. Subsequently, DQ's follow!

Last edited by a moderator:
To me...if it is necessary to weigh rifles at a competition, it would also seem necessary to have the scale certified and to stay in exactly the same place as it was when certified. To disqualify someone from a competition without this seems sort of, well, improper. Weight, if used as a standard should be just that, a standard.

Weighing and weights have been discussed several times before.
Ill bring up the point that I have brought up before.
At different clubs I have seen different procedures concerning WHEN guns are weighed for registered matches.
Some weigh at registration, some before the commence fire of the first match, some randomly during the match, some only the winners.
I witnessed a man DQed on the second day of a match because they weighed at the beginning of the 2nd day.

There are those that always bring up the point that it is the competitor's responsibility to make sure their gun is within specs.
While this is true the only guarantee that any of us would have would be that we buy our own certified weight, since many of us dont have access to scales and weights prior to matches.

Why is it so difficult to just make it mandatory to either weigh at registration? OR at least before the first match?

Vern, if you have a question as to whether your rifle is legal weight, all ranges are supposed to have scales and official weights available for competitor use before the match. Take your rifle and weigh it before the match, then it doesn't make any difference to you whose rifles they weigh or when they weigh them. Where guys run into trouble with weight is when they have made component changes, new barrel, different scope, that kind of thing. I've been at some major matches where they weighed everyones rifle before the match. It takes a lot of time and is a pain for a sport that's supposed to be just for fun as there is certainly no monetary prize involved. My reply is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I do feel that it's the shooters responsibilty to make sure that his rifle is legal to shoot and checking weights is easily done before any match starts.

Check the NBRSA Rule Book, Revision 37, page 39. Weighing of rifles shall be on a random basis at the end of a match. This eliminates using one rifle for weighing and then switching rifles or adding parts back on. Read the rule book for the full article.

Check the NBRSA Rule Book, Revision 37, page 39. Weighing of rifles shall be on a random basis at the end of a match. This eliminates using one rifle for weighing and then switching rifles or adding parts back on. Read the rule book for the full article.

True, and reading the rule book for the full article is important. Further in the paragraph, it says "Scales must be available for a reasonable time for competitors to weigh their rifles." So, Mike Bryant's comment is valid. You have no reason to not make sure your rifle is at a legal weight.
Further, in the paragraph above the one quoted, it talks about the certified weights. Part of the paragraph reads " if weights are not available, the match will be considered un-registered..."

The bottom line is competitors have the ability and responsibility to make sure their rifle is legal for the class being shot.

Joe

Back