Lt 32

Russ,

Is there any particular reason you want to replace your LT-32 with N133? What has been your personal experience with it? Do you think it has "lived up" to its original intent (i.e., the recreation of the legendary T32, or "T" powder)?

I've been using Lot #6 in my ppc's, too. At 100 yards with a "Powder Puff" load of 27.8 gr and a Berger 64 column I've shot a 0.072" 3-shot group, and in a couple of Score Shoots - 250's with mid-teen X counts. However, I've been unable to develop a consistent 200 yard load with this combo. Also it burns quite dirty. Seems like on another thread someone else said that, too. Maybe it's just this lot (#6) - or not?

For 200 yards I switched to some older AA 2015 BR with Bart's 68 Ultras, and if I do my part - I can keep them all in the 10 ring with some X's.

Zdog (that's Zee-Dog! Chris Mitchell)

Me too. I shot a .096 five shot group at 100 and a 250-17X with LT-32 and Berger Column bullets. Also have the same issues at 200 yds. Maybe it's a 100 yd powder.

I've been shooting LT in my 6 BR and am pleased (mostly #6). Haven't taken it to 200 yet, but at 100 it's very consistent. And as for it being dirty, 133 must really burn clean.....LT-32 hasn't been bad on my barrels.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

and plenty of other folks, including me!!

Ya Greg. I wish I could shoot half as bad as u at 200 yards! Trouble is I keep seeing your name right up there after most 200 yard matches. Maybe you can give me a few pointers this coming Sunday in Augusta. Hope 2 c u there! As for u Mr Mitchell, get rid of that 6 and go back to using a 30 then u won't have to worry about LT-32. LMAO! UPDATE 8-24-14. CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER FOR GREG PALMAN THE GUY WHO SAYS HE CAN'T SHOOT 200 YARDS FOR WINNING THE 200 YARD MATCH IN AUGUSTA TODAY! GREAT JOB AS USUAL MR PALMAN!

Last edited:
Pag

Blind hogs can still smell out a truffle once in a while! Sage advice to zdog but alass there are none so blind as those that will not see. :) Tks

Last edited:
Try a different bullet at 200. I have found that the column is a decent 100 yd bullet and fair 200 yd bullet. It also seems quite wind sensative. Try a 65-68 BT and use 28.3 to 28.4 at 200 yd.

Work'n at it!

not the caliber I'm using, it's not being able to do well when the conditions get tough. At this point I just don't know how to fix that . . .

WELCOME TO THE LOONY BIN..... Of Benchrest..!
Hang in there Chris... GOOD barrels, GOOD bullets and watch'n the flags.... Combind with patients, one can "sneak-up" on
a solid Agg win.... I INDEED know this..! :rolleyes:... As for Score shoot'n, I still have 0 wins... Heck even a single yardage win, close a few times but Nadda.... Gotta keep try'n..!

Hang in there,
cale

Oh yea...........................A bump.................................. PV still has LT-32 in stock.... Have a jug coming...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
All else being equal my problem (i.e. lost points and low X counts), is not the caliber I'm using, it's not being able to do well when the conditions get tough.
Zdog (Chris Mitchell)

Welcome to the club! I have the same problem, so my answer is worth what you paid for it, but I THINK that the answers are in order of importance: 1. flags, 2. flags, 3. flags, and 4. everything else. That said, I also think tuning for each yardage can make a difference. A different bullet or charge can be inconvenient, but a different front/rear rest location for each yardage can accomplish the same thing, depending on the dynamics of your system.

Cheers,
Keith

I'm headed to the range tomorrow and will try that with some Ulrich 67 BT's.

For those who don't know me, I shot Score with a HV 30 BR for several seasons. I placed well a few times and got a number of 100 yd 250's and a few 200 yd 250's. But overall I struggled especially the third season, where a never-ending streak of equipment problems had me on the brink of quitting entirely.

This season I've been shooting a 6 ppc and so far have done OK - not great - but no worse than the 30 BR at its best. All else being equal my problem (i.e. lost points and low X counts), is not the caliber I'm using, it's not being able to do well when the conditions get tough. At this point I just don't know how to fix that . . .

Zdog (Chris Mitchell)

Chris I was thinking the same thing. Put a new barrel on for the IBS Nationals. It was junk. Took a while to see it in the barrel. Thought it was me, my shooting junk and my bullets. Nope. Bore scope paid for itself.

Chris I was thinking the same thing. Put a new barrel on for the IBS Nationals. It was junk. Took a while to see it in the barrel. Thought it was me, my shooting junk and my bullets. Nope. Bore scope paid for itself.

What do you look for in a new barrel if you think it maybe junk? Haven't had a bore scope long I can definitely see the copper when I don't brush enough. Other than that I really don't know what to look for

Got others stashed

Only one?

Right... HA ..!

Still got a GOOD Stash of "various" 8208's that I'm allllllllright with... The LT-32 is just to "play" with a bit...:)

Didn't pay $230 bucks Haz an Shipping for the 8208's back in the day... That's for SURE..!
cale

Well said.

I think tuning for each yardage can make a difference. A different bullet or charge can be inconvenient, but a different front/rear rest location for each yardage can accomplish the same thing, depending on the dynamics of your system. Cheers,
Keith

Keith, thanks for reminding everyone that they must tune for the specific yardage. As I read this thread where more than one shooter suggested that a specific bullet would shoot good at say 100 yards but would not shoot at 200. :eek: Maybe it ain't the bullet: huh? :p

So lets say that after winning the 100 yard agg in the morning, the shooter expects the same load to shoot at 200 only to find his group strings vertically showing the rifle completely out of tune even though ambient temperature is unchanged. So,,,, if temp and density altitude are the same, why would a change in tune be necessary? Nothing changed! Yes it did 'Bub' you changed yardages.

Remember, you must tune for the specific yardage. This is another reason why using a tuner is so simple and convenient. No need to carry three different loads to the line. With a tuner you can often bring the rifle right in tune with a quarter turn in one direction or the other. The powder charge never needs to change. Only in recent years have I understood why one must tune to the specific yardage.

Hope this helps someone.

Later,

Gene Beggs

Perhaps I have missed some thread, but could you elaborate on why you now have arrived at this conclusion?

Its called WARPS. Space WARPS, time WARPS, barrel WARPS and then our mind WARPS.

The first three shots go exactly through the same hole, the fourth shot goes out then the fifth shot goes exactly back through the original hole? Ever wonder about that? Think about it.

What did the shooter do on shots one, two, three and five that they did not do on the fourth shot??

Fwiw

What do you look for in a new barrel if you think it maybe junk? Haven't had a bore scope long I can definitely see the copper when I don't brush enough. Other than that I really don't know what to look for

7 years ago I bought a LV 6mm barrel from a maker just ramping up its benchrest barrel production. I had it chambered and then shot it. For 100 rounds I literally couldn't get two bullets to touch one another. In the meantime I had acquired a borescope. I looked inside from both ends and the barrel finish was terrible with lots of tool marks, gouges, nicked lands and inclusions...looked like black pepper on white paper...they were everywhere. I contacted the maker and they replaced the barrel and gave me a second to compensate me for the cost of the chamber job on the bad one. Very up front and nice of them. The little voice in the back of my head has never stopped asking why such a poorly finished barrel ever made it into a benchrest shooters hands. All they had to do was look. I've bought from them subsequently with no issues, but regardless of who's barrel it is I look inside on getting it.

Back