Loaned my receiver truing jig out and it hasn't been returned

Butch Lambert

I guess it is my fault as I didn't write it down a couple years ago when I sent it out. It ain't like the old days that you could loan a shooter something and you would get it back. I am trying to get my scientific sieves back that I loaned out 3-4 years ago.
I decided to make my receiver jig. I bought a piece of 3" tubing with a 2" ID 12" long. I turned the OD for appearence sake.
This picture is parting it off. I didn't part it all the way through.
2r62sus.jpg

Next pic is truing up the end. After almost parting it through I bandsawed it in to. Didn't want it flopping it around parting it all the way.
akd5b6.jpg

Next picture is in the indexing machine to drill and tap the holes.
6hjhnk.jpg

Tapping the holes 1/2x20.
rw2knb.jpg

Made the screws with 1/2x20tpi by 1" SS setscrews. I drilled and reamed them to accept .3125 copper ground rod.
6nwnye.jpg

These are things that an old man can do if he has the tools and time. I do love my Monarch 10EE. It is so smooth and quiet. I can only hear the cooling fan running to cool all the old vacuum tubes in the machine. I will get the tube hard anodized this week.

Butch,

What is the overall finished length, and what is your hole spacing for the adjustment screws? I gonna be building another one in the next few weeks...

Justin

Dimensions are 6.5" in length, holes for the front of the receiver are .700 from the end, next holes are for a short action and are 4.700" from the edge, and long action 5.700 from the edge. I bought the tubing from Speedy Metals for $22+shipping. I buy my hardware from McMaster-Carr.

Wife said a person called at 6:15am this morning wanting our address to ship my sieves back.

I stamp or engrave my name, what it is, and a serial number on every tool or fixture that I make. It helps tracking and here at work they can identify what it is 10 years from now.

Loaning tools

Butch:

One of the first lessens my father taught me was "we don't loan tools" period.

In 2006 twice you loaned out your rear entry wrench for a SAKO L461. Once to Corbin Shell, who I got it from and returned it to you. Later You loaned it to me and I made three copies and returned it to you. I made the two copies, one for Corbin and the other for myself an a another BRC poster. Neither Corbin or the other poster came off the pre agreed fee for making these wrenches. They sat in my shop cart for 8 years until I gave two away to gunsmithing schools. I told you in 2006 that loaning tools only leads to heartache. You have showed your better side and continued to loan out tools.

He is the rest of my fathers first lesson on "not lending tools".

"You, would not lend out your chainsaw or your girlfriend, even to your best friend, because he will throw a rod in either them".

Hope that new action truing jig works for you. Give me a call and I will give you a recommendation to make it safer to use.
Nat Lambeth

I loaned out a Jewell trigger that had a long shoe 4-5 years ago at the Shamrock, never got it back. New shooter, not like something you would forget= had to take trigger guard off to use it. I didn't get a name, just assumed it would be returned after the shoot = not, I forgot all about it until I needed that extra trigger a couple of years later. Maybe he'll see this and want to send it back, ha ha. Can always hope:)

Dan

Dan,
Guess what? I needed to load some brass for fireforming. I have a MCRW powder thrower for about 20 years ago. I couldn't find it. I tore my shop apart. Wife said who did you loan it to? I said nobody. Well the lightbulb came on. I called a buddy and he actually said he was on the way to return it. My brass sieves were returned this week also.

I made mine with my jacking bolts front to back offset from eachother 45 degrees. I may be wrong but I figured if my jacking bolts front and back were in line they would bind a bit?? Mine works well so far for dies. I haven't trued an action in it yet. Ill try and find a picture. Lee

I made this fixture for seating dies, but I can add another set of taps if needed.

my grizzly lathe came this way so I thought I would try this fixture this way. any reason not to????? thanks lee

Last edited:
I have posted this elsewhere before, a variation on the theme but mounted on a D1-4 spindle back and bored true.

Attachments

• Spider2_D1.jpg
    Spider2_D1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 465
  • Spider_D1.jpg
    Spider_D1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 519
Dimensions are 6.5" in length, holes for the front of the receiver are .700 from the end, next holes are for a short action and are 4.700" from the edge, and long action 5.700 from the edge. I bought the tubing from Speedy Metals for $22+shipping. I buy my hardware from McMaster-Carr.

Wife said a person called at 6:15am this morning wanting our address to ship my sieves back.

Gotta' love the innernet!!!

image.jpg

This is a photo of the jig I used. The set of four set screws are 1.25" center to center from front set to back set. The set screws ride against the split sleeve that goes around the receiver. It works the same way as the Gre-tan fixture except that the receiver face doesn't protrude very far past the chuck jaws on a four jaw chuck.

Update on my brass sieves. They were loaned out in 2008. That person loaned them to another person. The person that had them last said they were given to him. He said he mailed them to me in 2014. I realize I'm out in the country, but the Pony Express quit doing service maybe 10 years ago? I asked the feller about tracking number. Said he didn't get one.
Oh well, $300+ is down the ter.

Back