Lets see your reloading room/shop setup...

Al just a wild guess but night storage could be for the drinks one drinks at night after the match is over.
I dont know Wilbur personally so maybe, maybe not.

Al just a wild guess but night storage could be for the drinks one drinks at night after the match is over.
I dont know Wilbur personally so maybe, maybe not.

Well, I was just thinking "WOW! that really is a versatile unit right there eh!" and you know.....

You're probably right, its use is probably as prosaic as a cooler.

lol

al

As is the shop it's inside of...... I went with 70X70 under roof, 3 stories thinking I'd take a while to run out of room, NOT!

Well, at least you discovered in this in time, so that when you rebuild for old age, you'll make it one story. All sorts of body parts wear out, and stairs are an unhappy compromise. Or put in an elevator.

Well, at least you discovered in this in time, so that when you rebuild for old age, you'll make it one story. All sorts of body parts wear out, and stairs are an unhappy compromise. Or put in an elevator.

Well actually, noo probably not, as getting a third of an acre under a single story roof is astronomically expensive. And the snow load numbers on a roof that size is scarey.....I just let younger people take stuff upstairs while I enjoy the downstairs area :)

al

al
Now that i can understand! My little machine shop is already full, and i dont even have a metal bench in there yet. Not sure what i am going to do. Merry Christmas everyone! Lee

Well actually, noo probably not, as getting a third of an acre under a single story roof is astronomically expensive.
al
Tell me about it. The two of us now have 2,700 square feet. But no stairs. That one side of the house is all glass doesn't help the heating bill, either. But when we look out & watch the deer cavort (my wife's words), it's worth it. ... I think. I've bought into the notion you can't take it with you.

al
Now that i can understand! My little machine shop is already full, and i dont even have a metal bench in there yet. Not sure what i am going to do. Merry Christmas everyone! Lee

OK, on that metal bench..... MAKE IT ROLL!!!

Go down to one of the ChiCom marts and buy some heavy duty swivelcasters for all 4 corners and weld'jerself up something HEAVY and never look back. I might should post a pic...... I LOVE my metal rollarounds. I've got about 8 mo'chines including a grinding station and a little mill on rollers. And welders and my sandblasting cabinet and a bunch of assembly tables... you just never know how you want to configure, re-configure and streamline your operations.

al

Tell me about it. The two of us now have 2,700 square feet. But no stairs. That one side of the house is all glass doesn't help the heating bill, either. But when we look out & watch the deer cavort (my wife's words), it's worth it. ... I think. I've bought into the notion you can't take it with you.

Our home is single story. We agree there.

We disagree on the deer though, :) we have 'em too. They're PESTS. Beautiful PESTS. Better than pets but still pests in the long term. Our kids are allowed to shoot them 24/7...... with 15lb recurve bows using super ball tips, airsoft guns, paintball guns, wristrockets with paintballs, any improvised weapon that'll sting 'em.

It's more fun watching a 6yr-old belly crawl thru the frost with a paintball gun over his head than watching the deer cavort thru (EAT) the roses

well, for some of us anyways

lol

al

al
A roller it will be. Makes since to me.
I also want to learn to tig weld. Looking into some welding units today. Not sure how much room a new welder will consume, but the walls are closing in quick. For some reason dad thinks he needs a desk and a computer in the machine shop, and that's fine, but he doesn't even know how to turn the computer on. LOL!! All i can do is smile with appreciation, that i have, what i have. No real complaints! Lee

Lee,
Just get a laptop that is set up for wireless internet and printing. It will allow it to migrate into the shooting room (with the printer out of the way up on a shelf), and not take up much space when not in use.
Boyd

How about this....post up a pic of the outside of the building where you do your reloading/shooting/tinkering!

How about this....post up a pic of the outside of the building where you do your reloading/shooting/tinkering!

Ahh, this is fun

Here's a shot acros't the face of my shooting room. The windows have foldout metal grids.
This shot was taken when I was testing three Chrony's in tandem.

3 chronos.jpg

Set up inside, testing a hunting rifle....

shooting 270.jpg

view down the range.......

flags.jpg

another view as the lights come on, this session might go late!!

as the darkness falls.jpg

Still dunno' as I dare show the reloading area

LOL

al

al
what is your set up for shooting after the sun goes down. I have pondered this idea myself more than once. The wind doesnt blow as hard at night as it does here during the day. Lee

What I use for night lights for my targets are cheap, Solar Lights that look like a spot light. Bought them at Lowes for about $20.00 for 2.

They work for me..

Joe

Very nice al...thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, where I live, something like that is not even a thought. Although, my family farm is 15 min away and could erect a small shooting bench if I knew what free time is,lol.

al
what is your set up for shooting after the sun goes down. I have pondered this idea myself more than once. The wind doesnt blow as hard at night as it does here during the day. Lee

OK, for alla' you'se who think testing at night will be the cat's meaow, here are my thoughts. From experience.

This particular range setup is wicked sweet. I plowed in a 10-4 wire and a CAT-5 (or RG-6) to the 100yd target butt. And a switch wire. I'm also shooting over yard, over the volleyball court so's I can have lighted flags if I need them.

For the chrono setup I've mounted 40watt appliance bulbs in a framework above the diffusers and covered the whole thing with visqueen. I shoot over the chrono in all weather and lighting conditions.

SHOOTING AT NIGHT.

Shooting at night can be more frustrating than herding rattlesnakes. It ain't a tunnel, in fact it's way harder than shooting in the day.

Or way easier.

Windy blustery nights with lighted flags are OK. HARD but honest, OK....

Mildly breezy nights with lighted flags are OK as long as you wait until 3hrs after dark.......

Calm nights are generally a complete waste of time. You must "test" them by shooting a known tuned rifle.

DEAD calm, balmy "set out on the porch and visit" nights will make you rip your hair out in clumps.

DEAD calm over frozen ground or freezing nights forming frost must be tested, may change.

Shooting over night snow can be unbelievably frustrating, mirage??? targets move.

Rainy and/or snowy nights are generally awesome except thunder storms.

It just ain't automatic nor easy.

IMO the changeover that occurs as darkness rolls over the face of the deep is nearly unshootable unless it's drizzling rain or snowing. Some foggy conditions are honest but of course you've got to be able to see. Here's what I've taken to doing. I keep a known-quantity 6PPC ready and before shooting, during shooting and at the end of shooting I fire some groups with it to see "is it honest out there?" When it's honest and calm you don't need flags, it's like tunnel shooting. Generally this sort of condition only lasts an hour or two here in the PNW

Soooooo, you've got two honest testing conditions you can count on, windy and rainy. All else will LIE to you.

But this I will say with absolute certainty. I TRULY ENJOY driving the car down to the shop on a rainy night, (it's almost 100yds after all) parking under cover, scooting into a warm and brightly lit building, flipping on the satrad (Outlaw Country or Hair Nation, maybe some Classic Rewind if I'm feeling mellow.....) and HAVING AT IT........

wouldn't trade it....

might just head down there now.....

ooops, I AM here. Shop computer. Forgetful me...

might should turn 'round and check my epoxy.

(braggin')

LOL

:)

al

al
Your crazy you know that right? LOL!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge, i enjoy reading it. I will try my hands at night shooting before to long. I will have to come up with some type of set up though. I cant run any electric underground, as the tractor and plow would sure find it. Heck i may just set a light like we use on the skeet field after dark. Wonder what that would set me back?? I talked with a good friend of mine here about this a while back, and maybe something like a colem lantern with a blind backer at each flag and backer? I will come up with something. thanks Lee

heed carefully the inimitable wisdom of Waymore..........."I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"

Finally got a few things in place to get rolling...throughout the months, it will evolve! Anyhow, enough to get me by for the moment....

Back