Ignition, esp. primer and case web

Just thought i would throw this one out there and see where it goes. There has been a mention made of the "clean burn" or something akin to a point of efficiency where all things work like what has been compared to the inside of an internal combustion engine. Now in the small case like the PPC, these pressure levels are something that we all know exists but close our eyes to as the commercial bullet and ammo makers are all indicating that such pressure levels in cartridges are not safe. Safe could be regarded as speculative as to what that limit may be. My point is, is there a transitional period where a powder ceases to be a propellant as such and becomes more like an explosive. By that i mean are we going beyond the point of a burn process within the chamber walls and turning it into a detonation? If a powder were to burn in such a manner it would in my mind be instant and consistent and could explain why the PPC works so well at these extreme ends of the pressure scales. Such a condition in a larger case may not exist without disastrous results like with SEE when poor ignition and large volumes of slow burning powders combine in an action destroying manner. Could it be that the small primer and weaker ignition can somehow combine with the right volume of powder to create an environment of detonation where all is consumed leaving us with that sought after "clean burn"? Then on the other hand is there a point where a small primer and the "wrong" environment could lead to a poor ignition or inconsistent one where there are elements of vertical and poor groups as i have seen on three occasions?
I think this is worth consideration and one i thought of after i read a report released some years after the Oklahoma building explosion and the question raised over whether or not a lowly fertilizer could cause such devastation. It has become apparent since then that in the right volumes and with the right sharp ignition, the mix can indeed become way more than what was first realized.

After reading all of this, I did not see where anyone with experience making primers has checked in. I would like to see there input, as they surely have done much testing. Maybe someone here knows of someone with this experience, that would be willing to add there experience's here.
John Roberts

Mod70
John there is a primer guy on the 6mmbr.com website but I don't see him posting here anymore.He made me some parts several years ago and thats about the same time he quit posting here.
Lynn aka Waterboy

Back