If you Really want Benchrest to grow

it was not about COINING money. it was about creating the federal resvere banks( PRIVATE CORPORATIONS) and the PRINTING of PARER MONEY( at the time backed by gold in the us tresury).
the federal resrve BOARD is a government agency, THE FEDERAL RESERVE BANKS are private corporations..that have never paid a single dime in taxes, no list of owners/investors.

and how does this grow the iBS
mike in co

And they all worked and paid no income tax. The 16th amendment did not take place till 1913. We didn't have the FED overtaking the Congressional duties of coining money.....and I could go on.

I'm out of this leadoff from the original therad.

Hey jim,
Iwill see you at the VFS Nationals in November. I was going to build a new gun for that but decided I am going to shoot my HV in 6ppc rather than a new 30 BR. As for the political overtones in the thread, I think the congress, senate and the president has been running rough shod over this country for far too long, and we have departments in the Gov. that are a total waste of time dept, of Energy tops the list, followed by the Education Dept, and I could go on but whats the point, whichever post said the Federal reserve is a problem is right, they just said last week that they were going to start another round of Quantataive easing read(print more money) is a joke because each time they print it devalues the dollar more. I say Fire em all and keep firing them until you can get a representative that understands that we are the boss, and they are the employee! Another solution that probably Ain't gonna happen! Even I as a former retired drunken sailor, I realized that when my paycheck was gone I had to STOP DRINKING!!

Executive Orders for welfare and the Dream Act let Obama sidestep those pesky little checks and balances.

The Pres certainly has some "tools" he can use to move things through, but I doubt those agendas are 100% his own. Special interest groups and his minions have things they want to see done as well and "advise" the Boss to that end. There's never just one guy behind anything in Washington.

Jim,
Are you saying you drew a desert big horn sheep tag? If you did man best of luck, next year I am putting in for a goat tag, as I know a place up above Stanley, near the Boulder White Clouds area were a group of them hang out. Gotta go pick up my elk tag and deer tag in the next 2 weeks, and also pay for a wolf tag.

How about splitting out the political rants into a separate thread and let this one continue about good ideas to grow benchrest from within?

Billgore depression

It is a immutable fact that the two pieces of legislation that led to the credit bubble and our economy's eventual collapse were the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999 and the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000.
The first signed by Bill Clinton in November 1999 - twelve months before Bush was elected - removed the last Depression era Glass Steagall constraints on the financial services industry thereby deregulating banks, securities firms, and insurance companies to invest in anything they wanted.
The second signed by Clinton in December 2000 a month before Bush was inaugurated deregulated commodities, in particular various derivatives including credit default swaps and collateralized debt obligations which were at the very heart of the eventual crisis.
These two bills George W. Bush had nothing to do with were the "deregulatory craziness that led us over the cliff."
Yet Spitzer, who accused Tea Partiers of not knowing "history, economics, politics, sociology, science" as he bragged about believing in "facts" on national television falsely pinned them on our 43rd President rather than the man whose signature is actually on both.

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth (probably not much).
Benchrest, is not a shooting sport that has a large following now, in the past, nor in the future. There are few people that after watching or participating in a benchrest match, will have any interest at all to shoot BR. Once they get an idea of the dedication and perseverance that is so necessary to be a really good BR shooter...They have little interest in participating in benchrest shooting. Not to mention that when they find out how much a rifle that is competitive is going to cost, along the all the accessories, bullets, powder, primers, brass, barrels, levels, portable presses... ad infinitum....and I see all the goodies that make benchrest shooting so much fun and so competetive as absolutey necessary to have, in order to have maximum fun! I think that anyone that starts and continues shooting benchrest believes exactly the same thing, or did at one time. Add to that the newer generations' belief that everything that is fun must be accomplished with a joy stick, computer, cellphone, Ipad, etc. etc. and in real time to boot... it is getting harder and harder to recruit those that have all the necessary things ( 1. the attitude to do what it takes, 2. the time to do it, 3. and the funds to back it up), and if they have all three the first is most important. We are recruiting from a very, very small part of the population. Sooooo, in summary, I believe....wai, wait a minute, I almost forgot something!
It would not hurt us, with regard to multiplying numbers of shooters, to be recognized and sanctioned by the NRA...Period!
Before you start calling me names, I am a member of the NRA, yet I don't find myself fully alligned with their total thought process, so I am ony a middling NRA supporter, yet, with regard to "growing" BR numbers, I believe this would be the cheapest (most cost efficient) and quickest way to achieve that particular goal!
Regards,
Mark

Jim,
Are you saying you drew a desert big horn sheep tag? If you did man best of luck, next year I am putting in for a goat tag, as I know a place up above Stanley, near the Boulder White Clouds area were a group of them hang out. Gotta go pick up my elk tag and deer tag in the next 2 weeks, and also pay for a wolf tag.

Thanks Gary. Brian drew a rocky mountain bighorn tag in southeastern Utah. In that unit, the sheep live in an area that looks more like a desert than typical rocky habitat.

Good luck on your hunts!

I like it, Mark! Is it too early to nominate you to go to the IBS meeting to propose this, and get the ball rolling? If the motion passes, I'm sure a committee will be formed to help.:D

Well Mike,
Don't jump the gun...it' appears that I have addressed the wrong thread!
By the way, aren't there some goats down your way? Can a man get a tag for one?
Mark

What specific mechanism(s) would being recognized by the NRA bring along to draw more folks to sanctioned benchrest. Better asked, exactly how would this help?

Please don't assume the question is meant....well...has any meaning.

IMO, to increase participation in formal benchrest competition, we need more advanced reloaders, and to get more advanced reloaders, we need more reloaders. The same could be said of rifle tuning. Many of us are so busy with the pursuit of our hobby that little thought or effort are given to bringing along less experienced shooters.

If you are looking for ways that seem to work in the short term, I would have to say that from what I hear, club score matches that have rules that allow factory rifle shooters to have some success are the answer. These type of matches do not require much in the way of equipment to put on, or a lot of money to participate in, and seem to serve a good starting places for getting shooters interested in benchrest competition.

As far as more long rang planning goes, I think that if we all spend more time mentoring those that are new to shooting in bench shooting technique that will work for their rifles (likely quite different than for a competition rifle) teaching them how to tune up a rifle, and more advanced loading and load tuning, and getting them hooked on a little friendly informal competition, that this will go a long ways toward increasing the size of the pool of shooters that are likely to want to try group competition.

Almost 30 years ago, I got involved in helping to run a local club, not because I have any love for the process, but because I thought that I could contribute something useful, and because I knew that along with the right to bear arms, we need places to shoot. After that, I got hip deep in range constriction at that club, and with a lot of help, a very fine member range was built, 50 firing positions, 42 benches of all concrete construction.

Some shooters help out a tremendous amount; others just shoot. I am OK with that, but perhaps the latter group might want to look around and see what else they could contribute beyond dues and match fees, to make their club, and the sport better.

What specific mechanism(s) would being recognized by the NRA bring along to draw more folks to sanctioned benchrest. Better asked, exactly how would this help?

Please don't assume the question is meant....well...has any meaning.

Wilbur,
Just one thing that comes to mind would be recognition by and advertisement in the single largest monthly publication that relates to guns and shooting.
Secondly, sponsorship by the NRA as a "legitimate" shooting sport just may....bring in more ranges....good ranges that will sponsor NRA sanctioned matches where they will not sponsor independant matches, and the possibility of "Camp Perry like" matches.
Just a thought.
Mark

Would your proposal require those of us who shoot competitive benchrest matches to be NRA members?

Charles,
What I have said is not a proposal, just an idea. I have always wondered why benchrest shooting has not been recognized by the NRA and vice versa! Yes, in order to compete in an NRA sanctioned match, you must be an member in good standing.

Well, losing one person won't really hurt you. But I wonder if there would be more?

Obviously, there are those that would not wish to join the NRA, as I said, I'm not is full agreement with their ways. To be a member of the club closest to me, I must be a member, so the point is moot with me. Secondy, because a shooting sport is recognized by the NRA, this does not mean that many shoots will not be held without the NRA sanction. Look at the SUPER SHOOT....not sanctioned by the NBRSA or the IBS!
I for one would not quit shooting a certain discipline solely because some of it's matches were sanctioned by a certain organization. If I wished to participate in those matches, I would join, despite my disagreements with them. For example, I voted for John McCain in the last election even though I had the taste of vomit in my mouth while doing so...it was better than voting with the taste of $hit in my mouth!
It's not always wise to cut ones' nose off to spite their face.
Mark

Back