IBS bolts-out rule

JerrySharrett

Senile Member
I recently heard the IBS has rescinded the no-bolts-in-nowhere rule. I looked through the new rules but didn't find anything. Who knows the latest??

Jerry...

I recently heard the IBS has rescinded the no-bolts-in-nowhere rule. I looked through the new rules but didn't find anything. Who knows the latest??

rule was not rescinded. It stands. The rule does allow a competitior to contact a ref and if there is a safe area to insert the bolt with ref oversight that is allowed. It was in effect all last year and part of season prior, and it is working well. If there are any gripes they can always shoot NBRSA :)

rule was not rescinded. It stands. The rule does allow a competitior to contact a ref and if there is a safe area to insert the bolt with ref oversight that is allowed. It was in effect all last year and part of season prior, and it is working well. If there are any gripes they can always shoot NBRSA :)
The rule, while well intended, is stupid as long as it prohibits inserting a STRIPPED bolt. We are not a bunch of children, many are professional gunsmiths.

As to your statement, "they can shoot NBRSA", we do. That sounds like a statement made by a little person who is still in a school yard!!!

The NBRSA allows stripped bolts in actions for the various tests required for tuning during a match. Hopefully Jeff Stover can bring some sanity to this ridiculous condition.

I'm sure that if you shot a few matches you would realize this.

IBS bolts out rule.

Jerry this is what's happened.
They had a tempoary rule not allowing bolts in the rifles at any time until the comence fire command.
The insert bolts command was recinded. Now it commence fire.
You would be warned About a Bolt being in the rifle one time and if you broke the rule the second time you are disqualified.
We have a safe area to check your bump set up.
I guess the problem was an accidental discharge with some one who couldn't understand ENGLISH. That aside. You can check your bump.
The other thing is the waving of bolts after the cease fire command.
Now you have to show your bolt before you leave your bench.
A Safety meeting is also required. IF YOU DON"T ATTEND THE SAFETY
MEETING YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SHOOT' Safety was the main ISSUE.
Far too many word games at the annual meeting.
People want rule changes but have a hard time keeping them simple.
Jeff is very concerned about the bolt rule regarding bump check.
I'm sure he will address this .

Just out of curiosity, what is the big deal about having to chamber a case to check bump? I use a gauge and it seems to work fine. Even if you have used a stripped bolt to get the feel that you are looking for, couldn't you then use a gauge to measure how much that was, and then measure from that point on?

A while back, I was having a lively discussion with a friend who used to set his dies by feel. I challenged him to set and unset a die several times and save a case from each time to be measured. After we measured the cases and compared them to a tight case, he made shoulder gauges for each caliber that he loads.

Just out of curiosity, what is the big deal about having to chamber a case to check bump? I use a gauge and it seems to work fine. Even if you have used a stripped bolt to get the feel that you are looking for, couldn't you then use a gauge to measure how much that was, and then measure from that point on?

Two points Boyd.
1) It is common to seat a dummy round with bullet in place to determine jam. Did you ever do that? Did you ever buy a barrel at a shoot and need to set it up???

2) This is benchrest, not Red Mist Alley, if you get my drift. In benchrest, using the chamber as a gage to get shoulder setback is better than using a gage, made by that same reamer to measure shoulder setback. We are talking about a chamber where that to-be-setback shoulder was fired in, and it is the same reamer that a gage would be made with, would it not??

Jerry

The rule is what it is.

To many veteran shooters, this seems a little arcane, but we live in a world where every precaution must be taken to insure that an "accident" can not happen. Aside from just saying "to heck with it", we adapt, and do the best we can within the system.

It's not going to get any better. The IBS is trying to insure that our world will not be turned upside down by some "idiot" letting a live round go back in the loading area. And, if you think about it, that is exactly what would happen if such a thing happenned. Benchrest, as we know it, would probably end. .........jackie

The rule, while well intended, is stupid as long as it prohibits inserting a STRIPPED bolt. We are not a bunch of children, many are professional gunsmiths.

As to your statement, "they can shoot NBRSA", we do. That sounds like a statement made by a little person who is still in a school yard!!!

The NBRSA allows stripped bolts in actions for the various tests required for tuning during a match. Hopefully Jeff Stover can bring some sanity to this ridiculous condition.

Fact of the matter there's zero reason to need to check a case with anything other than proper measuring equipment and the stripped bolt comes under the supervision rule. Somebody puts a bolt in a gun while it's pointing at my spine, I want a bit of direct supervision by a ref.

It's not going to get any better. ...... some "idiot" letting a live round.........jackie

Jackie, we live in a world of idiots because they have been treated like idiots. Our fathers and grandfathers were not idiots, and why? They had to learn to be responsible for their actions. If they did something stupid, they paid, not like today where some sleaze-bag lawyer will get them off with an insanity plea, see, they were not insane.

What's next? Seat belts on shooting stools? Roll bars on our front rests? Kitty-litter in our rear bags so if we drop them we won't break our precious little footsies???

What scares me is not the sane responsible people but the people who take our rights away simply because they think the rest of the world is as dumb as they are!!

Agreed

Jackie, we live in a world of idiots because they have been treated like idiots. Our fathers and grandfathers were not idiots, and why? They had to learn to be responsible for their actions. If they did something stupid, they paid, not like today where some sleaze-bag lawyer will get them off with an insanity plea, see, they were not insane.

What's next? Seat belts on shooting stools? Roll bars on our front rests? Kitty-litter in our rear bags so if we drop them we won't break our precious little footsies???

What scares me is not the sane responsible people but the people who take our rights away simply because they think the rest of the world is as dumb as they are!!

What's really ironic is who or how did such an individual get in a position of authority in the first place ? He must of gotten the impression he was intelligent, we're not all morons ! there must be a better way that's not so degrading ! if you think about it not all men are mechanically inclined nor all women all acceptable homemakers, unfortunatley. :(

Bolt-in rule

All of you have valid points, and in what I have seen in this game is that 99%
of the shooters are responsible to the fact that they can control there actions on the line or off. I myself like to check the shoulder bump by using the chamber, and I would like to see the rule changed to allow stripped bolts to be used at the matches. But you know as well as I that the 1% of the shooters(the Idiots) or the new shooters is why the rule applys,:( and that is the reason that this rule is on the books.:(

Last edited by a moderator:

AMEN!! Mr. Jerry.....
Why try and make the firing line idiot proof, keep the idiots out of the game would make more sense. It's probably 100 times more dangerous driving to the range than being at the range. Nothing wrong with safety but......... my view -no need in checking your brain at the door. joe:)

All of you have valid points, and in what I have seen in this game is that 99%
of the shooters are responsible to the fact that they can control there actions on the line or off. I myself like to set the shoulder by using the chamber for the reason that the chamber wears with shooting and the gauge does not, and I would like to see the rule changed to allow stripped bolts to be used at the matches. But you know as well as I that the 1% of the shooters
(the Idiots) or the new shooters is why the rule applys,:( and that is the reason that this rule is on the books.:(

Rod get a brass tool from Harrel's made to use with a caliper. Does not make any difference how much wear you have, it's a fired case less 1/2-1 thou on the die

Well Jerry,

I've been called a lot of things over the years, yours is pretty mild, so I won't comment further other than I did have a :) at the end of my post. Primarily to highlight the difference between the IBS and NBRSA on the bolt rule.

It is a tougher rule in the IBS, but the incident that precipitated it ( and I was there, saw the person carrying the rifle muzzle straight up on my walk to the line(had no idea it was bolted and loaded as I didn't see that part of the firearm), then heard the accidental discharge while he was walking back to his vehicle) scared the living crap out of all present. Most shooters have accepted the rule and adapted to it as an attempt to try and be perfect in the safety realm. I'll buy that desire and the rule 100%. Regards --Greg

I have to say............

that stripping the bolt and having a little conversation with shooters in the vicinity should be adequate. We all have had situations where we wanted to make sure we didn't have to hammer the bolt down to chamber a round in competition.
For that matter, the bullet drop rods that Sinclair sells are potentially more dangerous than anything else we use in Benchrest competition, but they continue to sell them.
I fear common sense has taken a back seat to the tort feesers.
BA

Idiot proof...Hmmm

I don't see how the Benchrest sport can grow without new shooters..How do we ensure new shooters with the first time "jitters" doesn't forget and chamber a live round in the loading area..and...:eek:
I seem to remember reading on this forum about a vetran shooter that left a brass knock-out rod in his barrel and fired a live round and got some serious eye injury...I wonder how we would feel if a shooters was injured or killed by a accidental discharge behind the firing line.??
I just recently was at our local rifle range and observed a man (55+ years old) take his AR semi-auto off of the rest/bag and place it on a cleaning cradle with the muzzle pointing back towards the loading area/parking lot...We have Large Safety signs on every range stating "Muzzles down range at all times NO EXCEPTIONS"
I loudly called out from 40ft away "Sir, turn the rifle muzzle down range..you are in violation of range safety rules.!!" He looked at me with disdain..and promptly put the rifle in the correct direction...
Our Second Amendment Rights just can't "fix stupid" and we can't test for it.
Just hope it ain't your a** the rifle is pointing at when the bolt goes in..!
I now hunt alone for that very same reason..

Last edited by a moderator:
jerry,

I normally do not defend "sleeze bag" attorneys, HOWEVER they(sleeze bag attorneys) do not sit on the JURY and pass sentence.

That duty, no pun intended, is left up to YOU, thge American citizens(peers).

IBS Bolts out rile.

Ok what's incorrect. Person not understanding english?
That's what i was told. Safety meeting is maditory?
Warning the first time? Disqalification if your caught the second time?
Safety area to check bump? Command change? Waving of bolts?
Not being allowed to finish shooting ?

Back