How to use Bukys TSI Tuners

333smitty

Tomball Gun Club
For those of you that are interested in stepping up your Benchrest game here are instructions on how to utilize a Bukys snubber/tuner from the man himself.

How I use my TSI tuners
First a little information about the tuner ---

The ID threads are 7/8 – 32 TPI or .875-32 TPI

I thread about 1” to 1 ¼ “of the muzzle, depending mostly on how I feel that particular day.

DO NOT try to remove the large nut that holds the rubber insert on, -------- It is not intended to be removed ever.

The way I use my tuners.

1. I set the gun up to accept the tuner – (thread the muzzle end of your barrel)

2. Put the rifle together and do not install the tuner

3. Go to the range and tune the rifle as you normally would, make it shoot as good as you can

4. Then on the same day, and in the same conditions, install the Tuner. Use a nice heavy grease on the threads and apply this grease to both the tuner ID threads and the barrel OD threads. ( I use bolt lug lube). Screw it all the way on the barrel till it stops against the shoulder then back if off at least half of a turn and lock it down. This way you only have one way to go while tuning --- you can’t go further on the barrel as you will hit the shoulder quickly.

5. I then load up whatever shot well without the tuner on the gun, and shoot a 3 shot group

6. If the rifle sticks them, (you got lucky) mark that spot with a felt tip or such and shoot it again except I would shoot a 5 shot group, If I wasn’t fooled and it stuck them again I would move the tuner out 1/8 of a turn and shoot it again If it still sticks, I would continue to move the tuner out 1/8 turn at a time and shoot 3 shot groups till it quit sticking.

7. Then I would put the tuner in the middle of where it was sticking, lock it down, and never move it again.

8. If the rifle tries to go out of tune I would change powder charge just as if there was no tuner on the rifle.

9. If the rifle shoots big after installing the tuner on the muzzle, (this is the norm) just shoot 3 shot groups and start turning the tuner out 1/8 turn at a time till you find the area where it will stick them. I find that the rifle will usually come into tune before you have made one complete turn, but no big deal if you have to go a little more than one turn.

10. I try to find an area where the tuner can be turned thru about three 1/8 turn moves and still shoot. As you move the tuner out you will find that there are areas where the rifle will shoot good in a very small spot but when you turn the tuner another 1/8 turn it will go big on you. Try to find a broader area to leave the tuner --- life will be better if you can find an area where you can make the 3 moves and the rifle continues to shoot well.

In my experience with these things, I think, I’ve never seen a barrel that actually did go to shooting better because of a tuner. What I think the tuner dose do is help to keep your rifle in tune thru a larger range. I think that you will see that your rifle stays in tune better thru atmospheric changes than it would without a tuner. ??? I could be all wet about all of this though---

Let me know what you think, after you’ve had a chance to mess with it --- any questions, email or call—713-299-9420
Good luck, Gene

FYI

Just wanted to let all of you know that I posted the tuner instruction sheet and not Gene b. You'll receive a copy instructions with every tuner purchase.

Last edited:
There You Are!

Hey Gene Bukys! I've been waiting for your input on this tuner thing. :D

Thanks for sharing with us the way you use your tuner. It's worked pretty well for you; huh? :cool:

Proud of you man!

Gene Beggs (That other Gene B. The one that's NOT the World Champion.)

Gene, in paragraph (10) of your first post you mentioned that you sometimes find in tune spots that are very narrow and others that are much wider and the rifle seems to stay in tune longer. I too have experienced the same thing with my tuners and I believe I can explain what is going on.

The wider window is when you are tuned for bullet exit at the TOP stop and the narrow, very critical tune window is when you are tuned to the BOTTOM stop. Actually, the in-tune points for bullet exit are just before a top stop and just after a bottom stop.

From what you've described, our tuners work exactly the same except for the fact that you use 32 tpi threads while I use 28 tpi.

Gene, keep in mind, Gene's Tuner features the rubber snubber.

When I added the rubber snubber to my tuners, I truly believe they became much more affective..........jackie

Gene, in paragraph (10) of your first post you mentioned that you sometimes find in tune spots that are very narrow and others that are much wider and the rifle seems to stay in tune longer. I too have experienced the same thing with my tuners and I believe I can explain what is going on.

Guys, rimfire shooters found out years ago that there will be several sweet spots for a tuner equipt barrel. They have the luxury of shooting enough to pick the best of those sweeties. Unfortunately, if a centerfire shooter tried that the barrel would be shot out within the sorting exercise.

Gene, keep in mind, Gene's Tuner features the rubber snubber.

When I added the rubber snubber to my tuners, I truly believe they became much more affective..........jackie

Oh that's right Jackie! I plumb forgot about that rubbersnubber. :eek: :eek: I'll bet that's what did it; huh? :eek:

I think I'll slip a rubber band :eek: between the two discs on my tuner. I'll bet that'll do the same thing; huh? :p :cool:

Sorry Jackie, I just couldn't resist! :) You're more fun than a barrel of monkeys; you know that? :p

Love ya' man!

Gene Beggs (That other Gene B., from West Texas, the redneck that's NOT the World Champ. :p

Last edited:
I believe that Gene's is different in design than Jackies, but they share some features. Spoke with Gene. He will be sending some pictures, that I will post when I get them, I will also do a short article for accurateshooter.com, based on Genes shooting record and our phone conversations. If you are interested, you might keep an eye out in 3-4 weeks.

Smittey are you sure Gene is selling Tuners.
Super Shoot 2010. Gene told me "I make my own and I don't sell them". I was just interested in them. And wanted to discuss them...........I got more info and a Beggs tuner from Larry Feusse.

7. Then I would put the tuner in the middle of where it was sticking, lock it down, and never move it again.

Gene
Thank You for posting that so all of the Calfee bashers can go suck on a egg.
Lynn

Smittey are you sure Gene is selling Tuners.
Super Shoot 2010. Gene told me "I make my own and I don't sell them". I was just interested in them. And wanted to discuss them...........I got more info and a Beggs tuner from Larry Feusse.

Give him a buzz.....

v

Gene
Lynn
Hmmm.
If this is the "exact center of the parallel node" - then the center between (3) 1/8 turn positions would be 0.010" movement - the movement of the node would be a bit less - and then there should be no other sweet spots - with all other spots being outside of that region. Which shows that reality proves the "parallel node" theory is a bit flawed. Luckily there are many who recognize this and continue to make further progress.

Gene
Lynn

Hey someone hardboiled my egg[lol].No really lynn you forgot to read number 8 on the list.point being they still have to be adjusted which one way or anther which works just fine I have no doubt .All my muli part tuners need to be adjusted either by tuner and or powder charge except for my integrated tuner rifles which have shot the same load and the same setting and powder charge too for 3 years now and that is truly a first for me and at matches at 100yds ,200yds and 600yds and 1000yds.And nobody including you has ever said they do that though a wide range of temps from 48-103 degrees . But if you believed me you would have tried it.thats cooll,everbody has their own way . Calfee asked us to try it and we did so I am just telling it like it is this is.I am bashing him a lot less then he has bashed poistive compensation and scientific proof on this subject.But the truth is the only reason I am saying this in the hope he will just try it before he talks it down and calls it nonsense.I know some rimfire guys that I have worked with are almost there but not yet because they are using reverse tapered barrels ,but soon will be so for them .Lynn I will say it again, I can prove it this is not just an guess it is from hard testing for 4 years.Genes system has been proven over and over by many shooters I know as well as jackies tuners and others but as long as they work it does not matter whether you have to adjust it or not .but it is nice to take off across the country and not have to worry about tune especially when it is too windy to see if the rifle is stilll in tune at 1000yds.I just set it and forget it.just a different way to tune but not the calfee way . Tim in Tx

Vibe
Your biggest problem with understanding what Bill Calfee has to say has nothing to do with his writing style or the terminology he uses.You need to follow his instructions on any gun you have and you can then comeback and post about his/your great breakthrough.Gene's gun is shooting very well and line 7 is correct in my humble opinion.

Tim
The shortrange guys are limited by weight restrictions so much they can't add the weight needed and still make weight doing it Calfee style.
Your guns are not limited.Set one up Calfee style and you won't need to twist the tuner constantly except when you change distances to 600 yards.
Lynn

P.S. Vibe what Gene is describing is actually referred to as bouncing off of the parallel node.

Last edited:
Back