How do you shoot a teen agg??

skeetlee

After looking at some recent match reports, there sure seems to be a lot of teen aggs. I know this is a loaded question, but what does it take to shoot a teen agg. LOL!!! I havent ever done, nor has most of the folks i shoot with. Whats it take?? Lee

GOOD EQUIPMENT, good conditions, and a lot of practice. James PS On most days it takes changing one's load during the agg. This is learned from experience in reading what the last target told you. This is really the hard part of shooting small aggs. Also, when I said good equipment, that includes the very best bullets and the optimum powder for your barrel.

Last edited:
After looking at some recent match reports, there sure seems to be a lot of teen aggs. I know this is a loaded question, but what does it take to shoot a teen agg. LOL!!! I havent ever done, nor has most of the folks i shoot with. Whats it take?? Lee

It's an aggregate of 5-5 shot groups at a given yardage amd weight class.
ag·gre·gate (gr-gt)
adj.
1. Constituting or amounting to a whole; total: aggregate sales in that market.
2. Botany Crowded or massed into a dense cluster.
3. Composed of a mixture of minerals separable by mechanical means.
n.
1. A total considered with reference to its constituent parts; a gross amount: "An empire is the aggregate of many states under one common head" (Edmund Burke).
2. The mineral materials, such as sand or stone, used in making concrete.
v. (-gt) ag·gre·gat·ed, ag·gre·gat·ing, ag·gre·gates
v.tr.
1. To gather into a mass, sum, or whole.
2. To amount to; total.
v.intr.
To come together or collect in a mass or whole: "Some [bacteria]aggregate so closely as to mimic a multicellular organism" (Gina Kolata).

Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

I'm puzzled over why it's called an "agg" -- average would be a better term.

I puzzled over this for a long time, and this is what I came up with. You can't call it an average, because you cut the 200yd score in half before averageing it with the 100yd, coming up with....an agg.

Jim

Most that do it. Shoot every weekend. Joe and Jack shoot most weekends.
A friend of ours. Shot one earlier this year. He's been shooting +50yrs. Shot his first teen agg.
Geary has slowed down a bit. Needs some help with his stuff. But, he is getting around pretty good.
Last shoot, he had the biggest smile. All weekend.

I have to be honest with you, I believe that the gun shoots the agg. and we are along for the ride.

I've been blessed over the past couple of years to have been lucky enough to shoot a few small aggs. I recently watched my light varmint gun shoot a .1504 through my scope at Holton. I held at the same point of aim for all 25 record shots. The gun was tuned far beyond my personal capabilities and every shot went basically in the same hole. That gun has been my priamry rifle for the past ten years; so the platform is solid. That barrel had well over 3,000 rounds on it, but has been a very solid performer (with six teen aggs. on it to date). The bullets were out of a lot that Lowell Hottenstein had just made up so they were somewhat unproven to that point. (No longer a concern.) And.... it was only the third teen agg. that I had ever shot with N133, after shooting over 30 (in the last ten years) with pull-down 8208. Go figure.

Each successive group in that agg. got a little larger and my gun started to go out of tune on the last group in the morning (it was a .189) as the temperature rose and the humidity dropped. On Sunday afternoon that same gun (and basically same load) shot a .3448 at 200 yards; go figure again. All of the other shooters at that time were going big, too. But, I had the most to loose in that grand. And I only got the gun back on the last group of Sunday afternoon after tuning the entire day at 200 yards.

So... I believe that I have some qualification to answer this question since I have shot over 50,000 rounds in competition; with some of those aggregates small and many more not-so-small. And my answer is to work the heck out of the tuning system, not try and ride a slow horse in the race (in other words, if it doesn't work well, you need to change it), and.. when the gun is working, let it do its job. Other than that, I agree with James in that it is good equipment, favorable conditions and practice. I would again add to that to not overthink it and know when the gun is working and then let it do what it can when it's on. It sure is neat to watch such a gun do what it does best through your own scope.

Last edited:
Beyond the usual explanations of needing the best equipment, a lot of practice, and talent, there is the matter of having the right conditions. While some areas are lucky enough to have these conditions on a regular basis, many do not. We take note of match results that feature small aggregates. We should also notice when a group of shooters of known talent do not shoot nearly as small. In effect, this is a report on the conditions. There is also what I call the "wallet group syndrome". Some of us tend to go to the range when conditions are mild, and time shooting to take advantage of the easiest conditions on those days, which teaches us nothing about how to deal with more challenging conditions. Of course I would NEVER do something like that. ;)

Last edited:
You can't call it an average, because you cut the 200yd score in half before averageing it with the 100yd, coming up with....an agg.

Well, it's called an agg at 100 yds; furthermore, the 200-yd result is nothing more than a 100-yd-equivalent average. As noted at post # 4 above, aggregate means "a gross amount."

On Sunday afternoon that same gun (and basically same load) shot a .3448 at 200 yards; go figure again. All of the other shooters at that time were going big, too. But, I had the most to loose in that grand. And I only got the gun back on the last group of Sunday afternoon after tuning the entire day at 200 yards.

That sounds like a "teen agg" to me; however, it sounds like you weren't happy with it. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Shoot enough groups and the laws of probability catch up to you.

What Joe said +2. Practice, practice and practice some more > and bring your best to the match and eventually it will happen! When it does > there is no better feeling, especially if you win! Good Luck and be persistent.

MAC

I witnessed it last match.......If there are not enough shooters to completely fill 2 relays and you are a high profile shooter you can get your own bench so you dont have to move from the bench to clean. that way you can clean your rifle at the bench instead of going back to the loading area like everyone else and put 75-100 strokes of Butch's bore shine down the barrel while the next relay is getting ready, nobody within 3 bench's either way can see clearly through their scope from the blue mist deposited on the objective lens.

Then they complain your wind flag's are blocking the 15' tail's of their wind flag's and go move them, might be a few other trick's also.

GOOD EQUIPMENT, good conditions, and a lot of practice. James

ABSOLUTLY..!

Then.... When the teen aggs happen in ROUGH weather................. Just WOW to behold!
This sport has many OUTSTANDING competitors that can "Teen Agg It" perty darn Regularly..!

Amazing,
cale

After looking at some recent match reports, there sure seems to be a lot of teen aggs. I know this is a loaded question, but what does it take to shoot a teen Aggi. LOL!!! I havent ever done, nor has most of the folks i shoot with. Whats it take?? Lee

One of the first instructions I heard as a new shooter was to not shoot for the small group, shoot for the small agg.

I witnessed it last match.......If there are not enough shooters to completely fill 2 relays and you are a high profile shooter you can get your own bench so you dont have to move from the bench to clean. that way you can clean your rifle at the bench instead of going back to the loading area like everyone else and put 75-100 strokes of Butch's bore shine down the barrel while the next relay is getting ready, nobody within 3 bench's either way can see clearly through their scope from the blue mist deposited on the objective lens.

Then they complain your wind flag's are blocking the 15' tail's of their wind flag's and go move them, might be a few other trick's also.

Y'all be sure to realize what UncleB wrote there. It's the smoke from a needless fire left burning somewhere.

One of the first instructions I heard as a new shooter was to not shoot for the small group, shoot for the small agg.

I was given the same excellent advice/instruction, just wish I was better at putting it in to practice.

Several authors have listed some items in their books and posts, some things that make that happen (maybe)

1. Hummer barrel, Tony B.
2. Superman Bullets, Mike R.
3. Magical Holy Grail Powder, Multiples.

4. Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice. Most of those who have actually won matches.

Small group is a relative thing.
If you closely examine enough match results there are times you can see someone that took the grand without taking either one of the LV or HV grands.
You also can place middle of the road on the 100 and come in 3rd on the 200 and find yourself in 3rd or higher for that match Lv or Hv or both.
I remember the first time I saw a results sheet where I saw all the LV HV 100 200 results and winners then I saw the grand winner was not listed in any of the previous.
Jackie use to constantly push the thought that "it's all about the agg"

If you can shoot the smallest group on one run on a yardage and still finish in the bottom of the pack thats not as good as being consistent in the middle. You (I) begin to question what am I doing wrong, whats wrong with the load, whats wrong with the gun.....
Example. Last match I shot (as I have done several times) out of the gate I shot small group with .1?? (I think .165). In the past things blew up from there.
This time I went preloaded since it was the last match of the year and I just wanted to relax since work has been so hard lately.
I went down to about 7th or 8th place and did well in the 200 and finished 4th overall.
This time I didnt worry about the load or the gun and I discovered I have some bench and gun etiquette problems that I need to deal with.

Back