Help with a rifle?

mallard

Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post. I am a member on several other firearm forums but none really relate to benchrest. That being said, I have come in possession of what I think is a pretty nice benchrest rifle but this is completely out of my realm of knowledge. How can I find out about this rifle? The rifle is very heavy with a light blue greyish colored stock, it has a large bausch and lomb scope that has 64-3640 marked underneath it, the scope mount and bases seem to be machined aluminum. The entire rifle is stainless steel except the trigger guard and butt plate which look like aluminum also. The markings on the rifles receiver are Hall MFG M 58 and the markings on the barrel are MES SER over 6 PPC 262 NK any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if I posted this in the wrong place or if there is another site that I should go to please advise. Thanks again.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
That said, it would appear you have an older rifle with a Hall action smithed by Jim Messer with an undetermined stock or barrel. It is either 10 1/2 lb or 13 1/2 lb in all probability.

Last edited:
Here are some photos.

Attachments

• _DSC0745a.jpg
    _DSC0745a.jpg
    935.2 KB · Views: 474
  • _DSC0746a.jpg
    _DSC0746a.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 477
  • _DSC0747a.jpg
    _DSC0747a.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 427
  • _DSC0748a.jpg
    _DSC0748a.jpg
    860.6 KB · Views: 447
  • _DSC0749a.jpg
    _DSC0749a.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 447
  • _DSC0750a.jpg
    _DSC0750a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 384
Looks like Tim gave you good information. Most likely a 36x B&L scope, as he said, a Hall action and barrel chambered by James Messer in 6PPC. Probably has a Jewell trigger. What other information are you looking for?

Rick

To get a little finer

Looks like Tim gave you good information. Most likely a 36x B&L scope, as he said, a Hall action and barrel chambered by James Messer in 6PPC. Probably has a Jewell trigger. What other information are you looking for?

Rick
description, looks like a Hall S in a Mcmillan stock. The S is capable of making a LV, but dependant on the weight of the stock. It would be a very competitive rife either way.
David

Thanks again for the information, after finding out that reloading is pretty much the only option, this is not a rifle for me. Can anyone help me with an approximate value and the best avenue to sell a rifle like this? I was hoping that I could just go buy some ammo for it and take it to the range and use maybe as a varmint rifle but since I do not reload it is useless to me.

No reload?

If you are used to buying preloaded ammo and aren't into reloading this REALLY isn't for you. Just for grins, read an article on 6ppc case prep and you may think they are putting you on as to the amount of steps you would have to go through to get a case ready just to fit properly in your gun. As for price, $900 would sell it quick and $1800 would be a looong wait. Good luck!

Thanks again for the information, after finding out that reloading is pretty much the only option, this is not a rifle for me. Can anyone help me with an approximate value and the best avenue to sell a rifle like this? I was hoping that I could just go buy some ammo for it and take it to the range and use maybe as a varmint rifle but since I do not reload it is useless to me.

Value on the scope would be in the $400 range if it is a 36X. Value of the rifle will depend on how quickly you want to move it. Since it is a right bolt, right port it isn't as desirable as RB, LP but there are people who prefer that config. As has been said the Hall is a great action, just not as popular now as several years ago. $900-1000 should get some interest in the rifle. $12-1400 for the rifle and scope. You can advertise here in the classifieds and accurateshooter.com is probably the other best place. Good luck with the sale.

Rick

I have talked with hall mfg and the action was probably made in the 80's and he said that James Messer most likely built the rifle, there does not seem to be any more info to be had as I do not have a contact number for James Messer to see if he would perhaps have information on the build.

Jackie,

I pretty sure the stock is a Lee Six "Hall pattern". I used several of them back in the early '90's when Lee was still in business.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

I have talked with hall mfg and the action was probably made in the 80's and he said that James Messer most likely built the rifle, there does not seem to be any more info to be had as I do not have a contact number for James Messer to see if he would perhaps have information on the build.

Based on the fact that everything points to 80's, B&L scopes are fine but have been gone for some time. The gun looks to be little used but most would assume the barrel needs replacement. Based on smith and period I'd venture it has a Hart 6 groove barrel.
I'd seriously think about selling the scope seperately it should bring $350-$400 all day long.
The gun, though quality, is old and I suspect if somebody offers you $1000-$1200 take it and run.

Based on the fact that everything points to 80's, B&L scopes are fine but have been gone for some time. The gun looks to be little used but most would assume the barrel needs replacement. Based on smith and period I'd venture it has a Hart 6 groove barrel.
I'd seriously think about selling the scope seperately it should bring $350-$400 all day long.
The gun, though quality, is old and I suspect if somebody offers you $1000-$1200 take it and run.
How would I determine the barrel condition? I think the rifle has been handled more than it has been shot. I acquired the rifle from the original owner who is not in good condition right now.

How would I determine the barrel condition? I think the rifle has been handled more than it has been shot. I acquired the rifle from the original owner who is not in good condition right now.

You could have someone with a borescope look at it, but it would probably look good. Most anyone with an interest in it would be expecting to rebarrel. That's just part of buying a used benchrest rifle.
No one is BSing you. The value that's been suggested is close. But it's easy to find out. Decide what you think you should have for it and list it here and on accurateshooter.com. The marketplace will tell you the value.

Rick

I have one that looks just like it. Hall "M" action, Hall pattern Lee Six stock, mine has a fluted Lilja barrel 6PPC with a .261 neck and smithed by Dave Tooley. Late 1990's vintage and still shoots great. With the fluted barrel it makes 10 1/2 lbs with Leupold 36D scope. I also have a 30PPC barrel for it when I shoot Score targets.

I have one that looks just like it. Hall "M" action, Hall pattern Lee Six stock, mine has a fluted Lilja barrel 6PPC with a .261 neck and smithed by Dave Tooley. Late 1990's vintage and still shoots great. With the fluted barrel it makes 10 1/2 lbs with Leupold 36D scope. I also have a 30PPC barrel for it when I shoot Score targets.
After talking with Hall MFG. today he seemed to think that since it was serial number 58 that it was probably made in the 80's

You can have almost

This may be a dumb question but could I have this rifle made into a .223 or 7.62?

anything you want, but Hall bolts are caliber specific. You could rebate the rims on the .308 to fit the PPC boltface, but .223 is way too small diameter. You would have to have Allen make you a new bolt, and I am sure you would not like the price. I know I did not. I have had 4 Hall's over the years and my current VFS rifle is a Hall. I settled on 30 PPC because I was not going to go to the effort of rebating 30BR cases. BTW, it is good enuf to shoot a 250 x 20X at the NBRSA Score Nats 2 weeks ago.

David

anything you want, but Hall bolts are caliber specific. You could rebate the rims on the .308 to fit the PPC boltface, but .223 is way too small diameter. You would have to have Allen make you a new bolt, and I am sure you would not like the price. I know I did not. I have had 4 Hall's over the years and my current VFS rifle is a Hall. I settled on 30 PPC because I was not going to go to the effort of rebating 30BR cases. BTW, it is good enuf to shoot a 250 x 20X at the NBRSA Score Nats 2 weeks ago.

David

Thanks for the reply, I just put it on armslist for now with a higher price than suggested so someone can talk me down.

Back