GUNSMITH question

1 cold barrel
2 slighly warmed barrel
3 barrel now quite warm, shot wanders, and that can on the end holds all the heat from the gases right next to the barrel- vs letting them expell as the pill exits. Yes, they expell but not without some dwell time.

But I do not know anything just being a schmuck from the back 40.

button rifled barrels machined after bore formed will increase internal diameter if machined after bore work completed. cut rifled and hammer forged generally do not. Savage used to be all hammer forged, that may have changed. Krieger can be had button or cut. to the best of my limited knowledge.

a bit more thinking- free floated barrel? is still free after shot 2 with the can on?

Last edited:
1 cold barrel
2 slighly warmed barrel
3 barrel now quite warm, shot wanders, and that can on the end holds all the heat from the gases right next to the barrel- vs letting them expell as the pill exits. Yes, they expell but not without some dwell time.

But I do not know anything just being a schmuck from the back 40.

button rifled barrels machined after bore formed will increase internal diameter if machined after bore work completed. cut rifled and hammer forged generally do not. Savage used to be all hammer forged, that may have changed. Krieger can be had button or cut. to the best of my limited knowledge.

a bit more thinking- free floated barrel? is still free after shot 2 with the can on?

Button rifled barrels ARE profiled after the are rifled. The reason they don't increase internally is due to a stress relief process. At least that's the way Hart,Douglas and Shilen do it! Also to the best of my knowledge Savage have used the button process in the past and maybe still do.

Al,
I think they have been two separate companies for some time now. Steve Dahlke, who owns Criterion, used to run Kreiger.

I remember reading...

Hello everyone, lurker here,
I remember reading somewhere, that cutting threads at the end of a barrel changed the internal dimensions of the barrel, as in the dimensions from land-to-land.
For the subject of this post and if my information is accurate, the amount of removal would be nice to know. Was it a 0.750 thread or was is a 0.500 thread muzzle brake?
On a .900 inch end muzzle, that makes a difference and would affect accuracy.
Just my 0.02 $ Canadian.

Threading the barrel involves reducing the muzzle diameter. That has been shown to produce a slight increase of the bore diameter at the muzzle - essentially making a miniature blunderbuss. Lapping the bore after threading the muzzle can overcome this, but it takes some skill. If the rifle won't shoot without the silencer, then this is a likely candidate even though "the crown wasn't touched."

Its all about weight

Perhaps, and Ill bet if you were move those weights either fore or aft, you would again find accuracy. Tuners are basically weights and that how they work, moving them fore and aft. It doesn't take much movement to make a world of difference, like a few thousands.

Pete

Perhaps, and Ill bet if you were move those weights either fore or aft, you would again find accuracy. Tuners are basically weights and that how they work, moving them fore and aft. It doesn't take much movement to make a world of difference, like a few thousands.

Pete

Mass added to the end of the barrel moves the vibration node around.

By placing the node exactly at the muzzle their is reduced
movement of the barrel (nearly none) as the bullet exits.

The weight must often extend out past the actual muzzle to get the node at the correct spot.

Threading the barrel involves reducing the muzzle diameter. That has been shown to produce a slight increase of the bore diameter at the muzzle - essentially making a miniature blunderbuss. Lapping the bore after threading the muzzle can overcome this, but it takes some skill. If the rifle won't shoot without the silencer, then this is a likely candidate even though "the crown wasn't touched."

If the bore diameter is increased, how will lapping it help?

With the thickness of the OPs barrels, I have a hard time believing the bore diameter would grow unless turned waaaaay down. Any numbers I could see from real measurements??

O.K. two different rifles , two different barrels , two different triggers, if you can or know someone with a set of deltronic pins or a good set of chamber bushings see if muzzle didn't open up when turned and threaded.

Couldn't agree more, George. :) -Al

P.S. Significant improvements can be done to the Savage ignition. I've done this on three of my own Savages and one owned by a pal. Two with factory barrels and two were customs.

With the thickness of the OPs barrels, I have a hard time believing the bore diameter would grow unless turned waaaaay down. Any numbers I could see from real measurements??

Why would you think that, they can move at an 1 1/4 turning to 1 1/16 ......

Back