GUNSMITH question

retired

IF YOU ARE NOT A GUNSMITH, please do not reply.
please attempt to answer the question put forward
yes the previous thread was deleted because of off topic, non gunsmith replies.

STARTING OVER
do any of the actual gunsmiths on this board have any
experience with current savage rifles ?
i think rustystud does but we do not see him much.
i have started "playing" with savages and now two of them
are throwing shots.
is the bolt/firing pin an issue with these rifles ?
like irregular ignition ?
i have a 308 that with a max load was doing great
( 3" x ring on the 600 yard f class target)
put a suppressor and adapter/threaded bbl, and now
no load will shoot consistent. 2 and 1, always a flyer.
the 300 win mag 2000 yard gun is doing the same.
i can get to .5/.7 moa but nothing consistent.
there are kits that reduce bolt closing force, but i see
nothing on consistent ignition.
help
thanks

IF YOU ARE NOT A GUNSMITH, please do not reply.
please attempt to answer the question put forward
yes the previous thread was deleted because of off topic, non gunsmith replies.

STARTING OVER
do any of the actual gunsmiths on this board have any
experience with current savage rifles ?
i think rustystud does but we do not see him much.
i have started "playing" with savages and now two of them
are throwing shots.
is the bolt/firing pin an issue with these rifles ?
like irregular ignition ?
i have a 308 that with a max load was doing great
( 3" x ring on the 600 yard f class target)
put a suppressor and adapter/threaded bbl, and now
no load will shoot consistent. 2 and 1, always a flyer.
the 300 win mag 2000 yard gun is doing the same.
i can get to .5/.7 moa but nothing consistent.
there are kits that reduce bolt closing force, but i see
nothing on consistent ignition.
help
thanks
So it shoots well without the suppressor but not with it, but you're blaming ignition?

It could be any number of things but I have witnessed what too much weight at the muzzle does and...it's random fliers. Check that everything is tight and you may have to work up a new load with the suppressor. Might be a bad crown, done during threading for the suppressor. I can only say that the suppressor did not change the ignition system of your rifle. KISS it first. Don't overthink it until all else fails. At that point, toss the suppressor. Also, what is the thread size? I've seen bores expand under pressure, substantially. Had a 338 RUM come in one day with a brake threaded 1/2-28. I kept to cutoff for a long time but it was crazy how much it had swelled the bore at the muzzle end, under the threads. Someone else installed it...I put a bigger brake on it and fixed it. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Check to ensure that the barrel bore and the suppressor bore are concentric. When I thread for a suppressor, I dial the bore in the same as if I was dialing in for a chamber. Then check it after its installed. Even if the bullet path doesn't hit the baffles, it still needs to go through the center of the suppressor baffles, or they will act like a bad crown.

Check to ensure that the barrel bore and the suppressor bore are concentric. When I thread for a suppressor, I dial the bore in the same as if I was dialing in for a chamber. Then check it after its installed. Even if the bullet path doesn't hit the baffles, it still needs to go through the center of the suppressor baffles, or they will act like a bad crown.

Agreed. I thought that was covered in his other thread. I could be wrong.

thank you for replying,
i have looked at typical loose part issues.
here is the issue I SEE.
both rifles are throwing flyers one out of three shots.
both guns are now loaded less them max pressure.

the crown on the 308 was not touched in threading, yes the bbl was dialed in before turning threading.
when the 308 was at max it shot well, but has never shot well when the load was reduced. yes a new ladder was
shot after the suppressor was added, and a new load development process started
BUT it always throws a flyer in three shot groups.

the 300 is a new project, a ladder was shot and load development started
but
it always throws a shot in a 3 shot group.

savage as projects are new to me. so my question was/is is there an ignition issue
with the basic savage bolt/firing system as delivered ?
the 308 has a factory adjustable trigger, the 300 win a timney trigger.
it is the common flyer issue between 2 rifles that has me asking if there is
a common issue .

The actual ANSWER to the conundrum lies in the fact that....... ohh, wait.....

I'M NOT A REAL GUNSMITH!!!!! I GOT EXPELLED FROM PINE TECHNICAL INSTITUTE OF GUNSMITHING TECHNOLOGY OVER 35YRS AGO!!!!

WHAT am I DOING here???

silly wabbit

crawls back under rock, chastened but unrepentant, chortling under breath....... hmpphhhh, AS IF life has do-overs.....

If retired only wanted responses from "actual" gunsmiths he should not have posted on an open forum. That's what private messages etc. are for.

For what it's worth, I think some of the most knowledgable people on these forums are NOT "actual gunsmiths"
Dave

i heard a rumor that rifles built by you are owned by other people and the the rifles shoot well.
i think i would consider you barely qualified....
lol
The actual ANSWER to the conundrum lies in the fact that....... ohh, wait.....

I'M NOT A REAL GUNSMITH!!!!! I GOT EXPELLED FROM PINE TECHNICAL INSTITUTE OF GUNSMITHING TECHNOLOGY OVER 35YRS AGO!!!!

WHAT am I DOING here???

silly wabbit

crawls back under rock, chastened but unrepentant, chortling under breath....... hmpphhhh, AS IF life has do-overs.....

but if you look at the first thread, not one person addressed my question.
they were too interested in their own question, not mine.
if i knew a savage gunsmith i might have asked them, i do not so i made a public appeal...
which some of you cannot stay away from even with nothing
TO ADD

If retired only wanted responses from "actual" gunsmiths he should not have posted on an open forum. That's what private messages etc. are for.

For what it's worth, I think some of the most knowledgable people on these forums are NOT "actual gunsmiths"
Dave

if i knew a savage gunsmith i might have asked them, i do not so i made a public appeal...
TO ADD

When did you say you graduated from charm school?

with both of the posts.
i was looking for someone with savage experience plain and simple.
i have a bit of real life experience both building and tuning loads for rifles, just not so much with savage.
tons of bits and pcs for 700's and clones.
from a tuned factory trigger on a 700 to a bix and andy on a golden bear.
i have looked at nearly everything..stuff i would look at and adjust or fix.
nothing is working
and TWO RIFLES ARE SHOWING THE SAME ISSUE.
so i asked a specific question.....
no answers

HONKUSSHPLITTUSCHMEG!!!

That was the sound of Firestone Double Barrel Ale being shot out my nose!

Retired....could you be anymore of a condescending pr!ck?

The charm school line...which was brilliant, by the way...causes me to paraphrase a line from one of my all-time favorite movies, Blazing Saddles...and I apologize, Wilbur...

...Retired...you are this forums leading a$$hole!

Dude...it shoots. You add a suppressor, it doesn't shoot. May I suggest that you don't have ignition issues, rather you have RECOGNITION issues.

There is a metric @ss-ton of knowledge around these parts, generated by official gunsmiths and serious tinkerer's, and they're all eager to help. Unless you come off as an All-Conference butthole...

And good luck with Alinwa...even with my rapier-like wit, I repair to PM's when I wish to quarrel with that cat. Saves me some public humiliation...

Got my popcorn...waiting for the show.

Justin

HONKUSSHPLITTUSCHMEG!!!

That was the sound of Firestone Double Barrel Ale being shot out my nose!

Retired....could you be anymore of a condescending pr!ck?

The charm school line...which was brilliant, by the way...causes me to paraphrase a line from one of my all-time favorite movies, Blazing Saddles...and I apologize, Wilbur...

...Retired...you are this forums leading a$$hole!

Dude...it shoots. You add a suppressor, it doesn't shoot. May I suggest that you don't have ignition issues, rather you have RECOGNITION issues.

There is a metric @ss-ton of knowledge around these parts, generated by official gunsmiths and serious tinkerer's, and they're all eager to help. Unless you come off as an All-Conference butthole...

And good luck with Alinwa...even with my rapier-like wit, I repair to PM's when I wish to quarrel with that cat. Saves me some public humiliation...

Got my popcorn...waiting for the show.

Justin

BINGO!

I replied with my thoughts on the threading of the two barrels and how it may have caused the issue.. I guess i am not a "real" enough gunsmith either.. :p
I wont bother replying to any more of his threads..

Lee

Dave
You know what he means. Don’t get your drawers bunched up. If you google search to help, don’t answer. If you have experience, throw it out there.

TO ADD

I asked questions in the first thread because things aren’t always clear to the outsider. Barrel contour and muzzle thread size was needed to assess.

O.K. two different rifles , two different barrels , two different triggers, if you can or know someone with a set of deltronic pins or a good set of chamber bushings see if muzzle didn't open up when turned and threaded.

Had an edge that went from shooting great to sub par. Cut off the threaded portion, recrowned and problem fixed. Any chance you could cut off the end, recrown and try it again without threads?

Back