Good video on Youtube about benchrest rifle building

That is a *beautiful* gun... shoots pretty fair too ;)

Just curious... what does a 'no-holds-barred' 600-1k BR gun like that, with all the custom attention to detail, cost once everything is paid for (excepting scope, I have a pretty good idea what those go for)?

That is a *beautiful* gun... shoots pretty fair too ;)

Just curious... what does a 'no-holds-barred' 600-1k BR gun like that, with all the custom attention to detail, cost once everything is paid for (excepting scope, I have a pretty good idea what those go for)?
Just estimates mind you;

Stolle Panda F-class action about $1300
Stock-this is a Robertson-about $450?? A custom wooden stock range $1000-$2200 depending on wood figure. A standard fiberglass Varmint class stock about $300-$400
Jewell trigger about $200.
Krieger (or many other quality barrels) in blank $300-$400 depending on taper, length, etc.
Barrel chambering $150-$250
Barrel poishing, etc $100-$250
Fitting to stock about $200-$450 depending on if it is just glued or glued& screwed (pillar bedding)

What else, Oh, a paint job from David or Kav $200-$600 and this is a WAG on my part.

(Did I miss anything else essential??)

S&S Precision

S&S Precision is Stick Starks. Stick worked for Speedy before opening his own shop.
S and S Precision Rifles - Argyle, Texas - http://www.sandsprecisionrifles.com/
He builds good shooting rifles. He can give you a good estimate of the cost of this rifle.

I believe the estimates for the stock and the paint job are a bit low.

joe

Nice video, but F class doesn't allow muzzle brakes & is shot off the belly.

Let's just call it a hybrid.

As Joe stated the guess is way LOW for the whole gun. The gun shoots and is better in person.

John, you are correct that it is not an F-Class rifle although that is an f-class Robertson stock. The rifle was built to shoot in our local series of matches. Its build and accuracy are representative of the rifles used. Our rules are pretty simple. Not over 30 caliber and you have to be able to get it to the line. Most of the rifles are in the 17 to 26 pound range though. And we do shoot off of benches.
For more info, you can go to:
WWW.Texasbenchrest.com. There are some more videos on the media page there.

Joe

Last edited:
S&S Precision is Stick Starks. Stick worked for Speedy before opening his own shop.
S and S Precision Rifles - Argyle, Texas - http://www.sandsprecisionrifles.com/
He builds good shooting rifles. He can give you a good estimate of the cost of this rifle.

I believe the estimates for the stock and the paint job are a bit low.

joe

As to prices, as I stated, were estimates. As to the price of getting a custom stock painted it was, as I stated, a WAG, and I may be WAY low???

I've never had a stock custom painted with graphics. I've owned some that were painted by or for a previous owner. I'd rather have a few more barrels and bullets than a fancy paint job.

The stocks I use now are mainly only Terry Leonard stocks and it would be a crime to paint one of them.

Last edited:
To Jerry, The shop in the video is Sticks and JD's Place it has NO relation to Speedy's old place. It's not even close to Speedys shop please don't confuse S&S with Speedy. I should know. Our moto in Texas is Life is TOOOO short to shot an UGLY gun. Right Guys.

To Jerry, The shop in the video is Sticks and JD's Place it has NO relation to Speedy's old place. It's not even close to Speedys shop please don't confuse S&S with Speedy. I should know. Our moto in Texas is Life is TOOOO short to shot an UGLY gun. Right Guys.

Sorry about that. I had read somewhere, or dreamed it, that was Speedy's old shop. It is the same equipment, lathes and such, isn't it?

Never been to Argyle myself.

I'm sure we were not seeing all the steps, but it did appear he was chambering in a three jaw and I don't believe it was a Tru-Adjust. I saw him bore out the chamber with a twist drill and I didn't see him true it up with a boring bar before the chamber reamer.

I didn't see indication on the muzzle bore before treading for the brake and then opening the exit hole on the brake once mounted to the barrel while still in the lathe.......

But I'm sure all these steps were simply not filmed.......Or many of us have been wasting our time all these years.......

I'm sure we were not seeing all the steps, but it did appear he was chambering in a three jaw and I don't believe it was a Tru-Adjust.

if you look again, when the vid reaches the 25 second mark you can easily see the Buck "Adjust-tru" chuck.

Jerry: Thanks for posting the video - very enjoyable & informative to watch. Not quibbling about your estimated pricing, but I've purchased four Robertson H&H prone stocks for my own use over the past 10yrs. The first was in 1999, and cost $440 delivered. But the U.S. dollar has dropped considerably relative to Canadian currency since then, and the last stock cost me over $800, incl. a 10% dealer's discount. Understand, these are prone stocks, and included options such as 3-way buttplate, thumbwheel adj. cheekpiece, & accesssory rail. I've not been to Ian's website lately to price a F-class stock, but would assume it's less expensive than a fully-equipped prone stock.

Jerry: Thanks for posting the video - very enjoyable & informative to watch. Not quibbling about your estimated pricing, but I've purchased four Robertson H&H prone stocks for my own use over the past 10yrs. The first was in 1999, and cost $440 delivered. But the U.S. dollar has dropped considerably relative to Canadian currency since then, and the last stock cost me over $800, incl. a 10% dealer's discount. Understand, these are prone stocks, and included options such as 3-way buttplate, thumbwheel adj. cheekpiece, & accessory rail. I've not been to Ian's website lately to price a F-class stock, but would assume it's less expensive than a fully-equipped prone stock.

Thanks Dennis. For sure an adjustable stock with all the bells and whistles would be much higher than I had guessed.

Boy, I didn't know this shooting stuff was so expensive!!

Lew,
Who is running the lathe? That ain't Stick. He ain't had that much meat on him in the last 20yrs. that I have known him.
Butch

If you go to Jerry Stiller's site, he owns the rights to the SG&Y FX stock from Robertson. He has it listed at $850.00 on his site. I don't know how recent that price is. http://viperactions.com/

Butch, I am certainly not Lew :D but the guy running the lathe is David Pugh. He has been working for Stick for a while.

joe

Butch,
Joe is correct it is David. He can build themand has been shooting and doing very well. Stick actually gained a few lbs this year.
Milanuk, In Texas it not polite to ask a man what he pays for something but if it pleases him it a good deal.

Back