Good caliber for 600/1000yd BR

6Dasher = Lt-Gun <> <> 30-WSM = HV-Gun <> <> <> @ 1000
@ 600 <> <> <> the BR family with out any doubts <> (6mmBR / 6Dasher / 6BRX)

IMO & assessment ... Doubter's look at the results and records.... there self explanatory to me ..... All sanctions (IBS, NBRSA, Penn1000...=.... the world)

Potentials = .... 6.5 x47 - 280/284/Imp.- SAUM <><> 30-always Mags (many) <><> a defined 338 (they have sh!t , if it can be revolutionized - come on Dave, come back and show us)

Years past = 6.5x284 + 300's big + bigger was better + Bib's = times past <> <> okay there could be a come back... but who first???

No SLR, XC, CM, .22, .257, ultra, 410's.... want to bee's .... (sorry... not the same game <> two wrongs don't make it AGG right <> this is LR-BR... w/ consistency+fast agg's)

Here comes C history #101... is my bet ... (if = ... back in the day of 2 then 3-4)

2-cents - by - Donovan Moran <> With Respect, Humor, & BS

Last edited:
6Dasher = Lt-Gun <> <> 30-WSM = HV-Gun <> <> <> @ 1000
@ 600 <> <> <> the BR family with out any doubts <> (6mmBR / 6Dasher / 6BRX)

IMO & assessment ... Doubter's look at the results and records.... there self explanatory to me ..... All sanctions (IBS, NBRSA, Penn1000...=.... the world)

Potentials = .... 6.5 x47 - 280/284/Imp.- SAUM <><> 30-always Mags (many) <><> a defined 338 (they have sh!t , if it can be revolutionized - come on Dave, come back and show us)

Years past = 6.5x284 + 300's big + bigger was better + Bib's = times past <> <> okay there could be a come back... but who first???

No SLR, XC, CM, .22, .257, ultra, 410's.... want to bee's .... (sorry... not the same game <> two wrongs don't make it AGG right <> this is LR-BR... w/ consistency+fast agg's)

Here comes C history #101... is my bet ... (if = ... back in the day of 2 then 3-4)

2-cents - by - Donovan Moran <> With Respect, Humor, & BS

So it seems to me that you're saying is:

600Y - any of the BR
1000Y - 6 Dasher - Light and 30WSM (is that 300WSM?) heavy

Frankly, I was hoping that 6mm BR would be good at 1000Y as well, since it is very popular.

Steve

Now for the facts,easy on barrels and the shooter, very accurate and consistent...... The Dasher..for both yds.... jim

i doubt 30 br...but you asked..."caliber"...you did not ask "cartridge"

so yes lots of 30 cal will do as will some 6 ......

mike in co

Hello All,

What is a good caliber for 600/1000 yd BR. I heard the 6mmBR Norma was a good caliber for this.

Steve
The 6mmBR Norma is a good cartridge for 600 and 1000 yards but the Dasher and BRX have a slight advantage at 1000 yards but not as much at 600 yards.

The BR does have the advantage of not needing fireforming.

James

I think the 300WSM is a great chambering for a 30cal

In 6MM caliber I'll vote unconditionally for the 6X47L. The 6X47L just doesn't do anything wrong, in fact if I had to choose ONE chambering for all-round usage 600-1000yd I'd go with the 6X47 Lapua.

i built mine on 300 win mag..old school but reliable.
more guys are building 300 win short mags...

and then there are the 6's and 6.5's

mike in co

Any recommendations for 30 cal projectiles?

Have the BIBs had their day? What about Berger's new 215 and 230 grain projectiles?

i would not know , i onlu shoot bullets in my rifle...
tell me we are not going thru this again...
no we are not..i'm done...

mike in co

Any recommendations for 30 cal projectiles?

Have the BIBs had their day? What about Berger's new 215 and 230 grain projectiles?

GSRswampandslow -

Basically you could chamber about any caliber, that is in a capable LR-BR platform (stock, action, barrel, rests), develop consistent "aggregate" capable handloads from high coefficient & quality bullets, and you could compete well and no doubt win at 600/1000-BR matches.

If you go to the 600/1000-BR websites and study the results & equipment lists from several ranges (not just one) you will see the trends of what calibers are winning and consistently doing well. This is where many calibers that are more then capable of LR accuracy and great ballistic capability, you can see are "one hit wonders" in Benchrest, because they lack the efficiency, consistency, and aggregate capability that other calibers have. You will see they may win now and then, and do well here & there under certain conditions, but on a whole they do not repeat day in - day out - match to match, as well as other calibers.
If you go back in time, and study the results from say a 10-year time span and from several different ranges, you will see there are calibers that were "hot stuff" at one time, are now struggling. And how other calibers that were not doing much, have now evolved and are the "hot stuff".

Many calibers that are capable, get swept up to erodible factors such as: recoil, barrel-life, component costs, lack of quality components, etc........
These elements end up plaguing the caliber enough that they also fall to the way-side.

Couple major aspects in 600/1000-BR is CONTROLLABLE RECOIL and TRACKING.........
I feel it is safe to say you could have the most accurate rifle & ammo at a match, but if the tracking is poor, the precision accuracy will be hindered and final results will suffer. But the person on the bench next to you with a capable setup, that has good tracking will have a great chance of beating you, because there whole "system" is working better and have more precision capability, with shot to shot repeatability.

My answer to your question: "and at 600yds...is the 6br better enough to choose over a 6.5cm or 260rem?"
- as long as you can produce handloads with consistency enough to match or better the "highly efficient 6mmBR family", you could have an advantage with the calibers you listed.
To beat them day in - day out, will depend how well you can repeat your own consistency.
An advantage IMO the 6mmBR-family has over some calibers (besides cartridge efficiency) is:
- They are "System friendly" <><> recoil, tracking, torque, balance, reloader-friendly, quality components,etc..

Best of Luck
Donovan Moran

Last edited:
I agree with Donovan. The 6 Dasher and 300 WSM hold about every Record in the country. Including single target and aggregates. This is at every range. They are just very hard to beat on a daily basis. They have been dominant for about three years at least. The 6 BR or Dasher is better for the 600 yard game or in light guns because of recoil. The 6.5-284, the 308 Baer, the 300 Weatherby, and the 300 Winchester have all but disappeared in the 1000 yard benchrest game. Some guys have tried the 7WSM and they shoot good but won't keep up with the Dasher or 300 WSM. in Benchrest. Matt

Back