Fireforming a 30BR

I have fireformed 400+ 30BR cases using a 6mm bullet and Hodgdon Clays powder. I get cases with the neck extending past the end of the chamber, that have to be trimmed back. I have done this on 4 different rifles and friends have used this method on two other rifles (6 rifles). I have never observed a ridge or dent in the metal of the throat...all 6 rifles shoot very well and each have shot high scores in matches at our club...I would be suspicious of the reamer making that ridge before the rifle was ever fired..
I recommend that if one wants to fireform new 30BR brass using a 6mm bullet, that they clean with wet/dry patches every 5 shots to keep powder fowling minimal...
You shot a 6mm bullet in a .308" barrel ? No dammage to the barrel ?

Very funny

Funny? I form mine in a 22cal barrel with play dough after I ran out of candle wax. Jackie Schmidt did or does the same as eww1350 to form his. I think Jackie rattles a 6mm bullet down his fireform barrel when forming 30BR.

Last edited:
Funny? I form mine in a 22cal barrel with play dough after I ran out of candle wax. Jackie Schmidt did or does the same as eww1350 to form his. I think Jackie rattles a 6mm bullet down his fireform barrel when forming 30BR.

OK, I thought you were pulling my leg. Sorry man.
I got some play dough . I'll give her a try, even in my good benchrest barrel. I imagine I'll have to trim new 6BR brass length wiase down to 1.5" and neck thickness down to .010" BEFORE the first fireforming...

you appear to be lost
what is the neck length of your chamber/reamer ?
you appear to be wasting time and money

OK, I thought you were pulling my leg. Sorry man.
I got some play dough . I'll give her a try, even in my good benchrest barrel. I imagine I'll have to trim new 6BR brass length wiase down to 1.5" and neck thickness down to .010" BEFORE the first fireforming...

total chamber length is 1.510, when I expand with 2 expander dies, from .243 to .270 and from .270 to .308, Lapua 6mm brass total length is 1.520 so it has to be trimmed shorter.Chamber neck is .330. If I fireform without thinning necks to .010, they won't even fit over the neck trimmer shaft cause Lapua 6BR neck is .020" thick.

Yep - determine (as in measure) the actual chamber OAL, FL size, trim to the MAXIMUM chamber length, turn necks to desired thickness, fire a couple of times (OAL will shorten a couple of thou), then trim to 0.005" to 0.010" short of MAX length. Monitor and trim [to desired] length when "gap" between case mouth and end of chamber is <0.005". Good shootin'! RG

Yep - determine (as in measure) the actual chamber OAL, FL size, trim to the MAXIMUM chamber length, turn necks to desired thickness, fire a couple of times (OAL will shorten a couple of thou), then trim to 0.005" to 0.010" short of MAX length. Monitor and trim [to desired] length when "gap" between case mouth and end of chamber is <0.005". Good shootin'! RG
I asked, little while back, whoever was supposed to have chambered this Shillen prefit barrel if there was a print of the reamer used. Dave Kiff gave Pacific Tool 3 'possible' prints of reamers that 'could have been used'. Seems difficult to get a straight answer nowadays. One has 1.510", another 1.525" and the last one 1.535" as length between chamber base to end of chamber neck.
Excuse my ignorance Sir but how do you measure the chamber OAL chamber length ?

Last edited:
Danyboy

With all the variations in chamber reamers!

I will make myself a case length plug if want to know the actual length the reamer cut or if someone altered the original chamber that was cut!

I will trim a piece of brass short then full length size case and insert the plug. Seat the plug long then put in rifle and close the bolt it will push the plug into case. Open bolt remove case and measure overall length. I trim my brass .010 short of that measurement.

My 30BR .330 neck plug is brass with a .330 dia cut square on one end and .3085 bullet dia on the other end. If you know someone with a lathe they can make you one.

Not all chamber reamer drawings match the actual chamber reamer dimensions.

Have fun with your 30BR!
Russ

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_110932288_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200607_110932288_HDR.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_20200607_111041721_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200607_111041721_HDR.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
i think this may be an indicator of the problem.
none of my lapua 6br brass has .020 thick necks.
typically around .012 or so.

tIf I fireform without thinning necks to .010, they won't even fit over the neck trimmer shaft cause Lapua 6BR neck is .020" thick.

i think this may be an indicator of the problem.
none of my lapua 6br brass has .020 thick necks.
typically around .012 or so.

Just measured several 6br Lapua brass. Mine average .013-.0136. It doesn't matter if you fireform without a bullet first. I do not want to neck turn until I do one fireform operation.

finally got my chamber length

Danyboy

I will make myself a case length plug if want to know the actual length the reamer cut or if someone altered the original chamber that was cut!

I will trim a piece of brass short then full length size case and insert the plug. Seat the plug long then put in rifle and close the bolt it will push the plug into case. Open bolt remove case and measure overall length. I trim my brass .010 short of that measurement.

My 30BR .330 neck plug is brass with a .330 dia cut square on one end and .3085 bullet dia on the other end. If you know someone with a lathe they can make you one.

Have fun with your 30BR!
Russ
Russ,
When you say 'Have fun with your 30BR', I sure have some just learning this bras forming stuff. I measured the chamber length: 1.525", which corresponds to one of the 3 reamer prints Dave Kiff sent me.
I don’t have access to a lathe nor do I know anyone who has one. I used the method described here:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/03/how-to-craft-your-own-chamber-length-gauge/

Thanks for taking time to show me how to measure the chamber length.
Dan

Last edited:
Danyboy

Have fun with your 30BR!
Russ

This post ought to have a "sticky" - Thank You, Russ!!:cool:
Keep in mind, the addage, "there's more than one way to skin a cat"! ;) This is a good one - ya just gatta remember, that most reamers feature a 45 Deg. angle at the mouth, thus, the large [plug] diameter should be very close to, and only, "ever so slightly", smaller than the chamber neck-diameter. RG

That is so very true!

Danyboy

Have fun with your 30BR!
Russ

Woe be the shooter that gets a reamer that cuts a too small throat, only to be discovered after chambering the barrel! Can't happen? Well yes it can, and I've been there :(

Woe be the shooter that gets a reamer that cuts a too small throat, only to be discovered after chambering the barrel! Can't happen? Well yes it can, and I've been there :(

Are you referring to diametrically or length? Anything is possible because humans are involved, but lengthwise, most prints have a + of like .005, minus nothing. Diameter SHOULD be much tighter tolerance than that. Most of my prints show + .0004 and minus nothing, diametrically. This is on the reamer.

Last edited:

Greg, that's one of the reasons that the late Stan Ware had his reamers done with no throats. Stan throated in a seperate operation so as to have control over that critical part of the chamber. Done as a seperate operation, throat length could be optimized for the bullet being used. Plus, it allowed experimentation with different throat diameters.

For the .30's, Stan's collection of throating reamers were .3083, .3084, .3085, .3086, .3087 and .3088 .....measured, not assumed ;). At different times, we tried all of the diameters in our 30 WareWolfs, 30BR's, 30BRX and 30 WolfPups.

A chamber length checker plug as Russ Stiner posted is a must have. Randy's observations on the 45 degree angle is spot on.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Which Throat

Greg, that's one of the reasons that the late Stan Ware had his reamers done with no throats. Stan throated in a seperate operation so as to have control over that critical part of the chamber. Done as a seperate operation, throat length could be optimized for the bullet being used. Plus, it allowed experimentation with different throat diameters.

For the .30's, Stan's collection of throating reamers were .3083, .3084, .3085, .3086, .3087 and .3088 .....measured, not assumed ;). At different times, we tried all of the diameters in our 30 WareWolfs, 30BR's, 30BRX and 30 WolfPups.

A chamber length checker plug as Russ Stiner posted is a must have. Randy's observations on the 45 degree angle is spot on.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

gave the best results?

Thanks,

Pete

Back