Federal Primer Production

P

P Corncob Bob

To go along with Hornaday bullet production questions.

I heard Federal is no longer manufacturing primers for civilian use. All Federal primers are manufactured from government contracts.

Anyone heard the same thing?

Fact or rumor?

Cob

Haven't heard that one. Talked to Bruno's today. They have some 210's now but are filling backorders and they told me Nosler picked up 50,000 primers today. They also said they were expecting another shipment in a couple of weeks.

Bob,
What you hearing, is half true, Federal won a 100 million primer contract for the goverment, so all thier production went to filling that. They also were not making much civilian ammo, as thier popular 22 LR bulk packs of 550 virtually disappeared for about 6 mos. Well those have started showing up here and there, and I also called my gun shop where I get Federal Gold Medal primers, and was told they should have some in a couple of weeks. :D Just in case I put in an order for 5000. Have faith, Federal has not given up on us.;)

DR

I contacted a person at corporate Cabela's.

Was told about that Federal is overwhelmed with fulfilling government contracts at this time, and may not be manufacturing for civilian use for a period of time.

I along with I am sure many others are relieved to here this, thus this was someone's wind - versus - being truth.

Cob

I just saw gunbroker auction for 205M 1k for $77 starting bid.

Bob

Thanks for the insight, must admit though that when you think about a 100 million + order, I would venture to guess that it would be kind of overwhelming to say the least.

Forney,
At those prices they can keep em, I will continue using CCI BRs until I can lay my hands on some Federals from the gun shop for half that. After all I think its highway robbery for CCI to take advantage of the situation and bump the price of thier BRs from 34 bucks a 1k to 48 bucks. Especially when thier standard primers are 27 bucks a 1k.

DR

Bob,
What you hearing, is half true, Federal won a 100 million primer contract for the goverment, so all thier production went to filling that. They also were not making much civilian ammo, as thier popular 22 LR bulk packs of 550 virtually disappeared for about 6 mos. Well those have started showing up here and there, and I also called my gun shop where I get Federal Gold Medal primers, and was told they should have some in a couple of weeks. :D Just in case I put in an order for 5000. Have faith, Federal has not given up on us.;)

DR

I wonder why Federal would be having lay off's with all their military contracts? There is an article in the Anoka union newspaper that says they let 80 people go back in mid Jan. due to being all caught up with their orders.

I wonder why Federal would be having lay off's with all their military contracts? There is an article in the Anoka union newspaper that says they let 80 people go back in mid Jan. due to being all caught up with their orders.

My, this news is certainly odd.

Maybe, they too have been hit by that "sensitivity" thingy that struck the CCI plant?

MidSouth Shooters Supply says Mar 2010 for next delivery
Midway says next month. ??????????

Talked to my dealer again today and his backorder shipment has been suspended for at least 6 mos. He has been unable to find primers of any kind anywhere. I Repeat none for sale anywhere. I was able to find 2000 large pistol, and 2000 small pistol and thats it.

Reason given, credit lines for materials have dried up, no money out there, federal has had lay offs, but not due to lack of orders, but lack of money to purchase. Plus I guess that there has been alot of panic buying, people coming in and buying whole cases of whats left. (Not Bricks) cases of bricks.

I got 2000 rifle primers left, and they are going to be used spareingly. I had decided to shoot my pistols more, and my 22 LRs are looking even better. Got 20,000 of those.
So good luck to ya all

DR

Let me get this straight....Federal secured a military contract for one hell of a lot of primers........and as a result ....they have credit problems?
And .....the panic buying ( they SOLD all their inventory.....which I thought was a good thing)....is also a factor in their poor credit rating?

Well, beam me up Scottie....the nuts are now running the asylum.

Can you say BAMBOOZLED?

Primer

Try Winchester small rifle primers. They seem to be available and are great!!

Paul Ryan

Called Cabelas, the only thing they have right now is shotgun primers. But then its not trap season yet!!!!!!

Scheels Allsports is the same way, man there told me he has been trying to get any brand of primers for the last 4 mos or so and cant get em, their shelves were bare. I bought the last WW pistol primers from them. Took what I could get.

Natchez Out
gamaliel out

Tried 6 others all the same thing if ya want a shotgun primer they got a few.

LHSmith,

Well, beam me up Scottie....the nuts are now running the asylum.
How True.

Can you say BAMBOOZLED?

BAMBOOZELED !!!!!! :D But my way of thinking is Bent over Screwed, Blued , Tattooed, but they forgot the Vaseline !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Even with the war going on I still could find primers. Then after the November election things changed. So I blame hording, not the war for any shortage.

If I was "hoarding" money, one could say I was saving it for a rainy day. Why does it sound so negative when referring to reloading components?

Adrian

Because PC has encroached into our sport?

I am a hoarder.
I do not feel any guilt about being a hoarder.
I buy enough to last my family for several seasons.
I will not sell any to make a profit.
For those who could not see this fiasco coming, I do not feel sorry for them.

Paging VarmintGuy

Would please explain how you have used a carpenter square to properly mount your rings on the rifle?

Thanks,
D

I just saw gunbroker auction for 205M 1k for $77 starting bid.

There'll always be people who'll try and take advantage of a situation. The worst I've ever seen was a guy who recently advertised on the 6BR board......primers for $25/100. That's right, per hundred. Also powder at $495/keg. It was some joker from Las Vegas and he wasn't kidding. The ad is no longer there.

Back