Favorite Songs....

Probably my favorite Pink Floyd song. Steven Hawking on a song and flying a giant pink pig over your concerts.....might be a touch of genius, right there! :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zijN2r3ZKI

For newer stuff, the Avett Brothers are darn good. Very clever video with a good message:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t43VgJ4U9_Q

Another good one from a newer group. For some weird reason, the video reminds me of The Beatles 'Yellow Submarine' movie.;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I&ob=av2e

Enjoy! :D -Al

Last edited:
You guys don't know squat.

I'm listening to Beethoven's Violin Concerto. New York Philarmonic with Daniel Barenboim. Violin - Isaac Stern.

It's to die for. The most sublime music ever written.

After that, anything by Puccini, esp. if sung by Luciano Pavarotti.

Just my .02 worth.

Roy

Puccinis stuff is by far the best classical. Now.........if you want to hear the top of the line artist in violin, Pick up any album by Sarah Chang. She was a child prodigy at 6, like Jackie Chivanco is at 10.

However Roy, There were others before Pavoratti, but he does the best rendition of "Nessum Dorma" than all the others.

I go to 15-20 concerts a year and there aren't very many artist I haven't seen in the last thrity years. I'd have to say, most were worth seeing. But it surprises me that I haven't seen the Eagles mentioned. I've seen them twice and they are as good today as they were back in the day. Sound systems and electronics have gotten so much better that most entertainers sound so much better than they used to.

Also, even though I wouldn't rank them as one of the best, I find it funny that groups like ABBA and Beastie Boys are in the rock HOF but the group that has sold more albums and concert tickets than anyother american group isn't in the HOF.... KISS. I don't think anyone can argue with the classic Rock-N-Roll All Nite.

Here are some of the groups I seen last year.

Brooks & Dunn
Sugerland
Kenny Chesney
Kiss
Nickleback
Ted Nuget
Motley Crue
REO
Buckcherry
Three Days Grace
Poison
The Doobie Brothers
Creed

I know I'm forgetting about as many as I have listed.
The biggest bummer this year was loosing 2 gibson les paul customs, gibson accoustic (texan), marshall amp and a new Line6 amp, along with other guitars and stuff in a house fire. At least I had sold an original 52' Tele in the spring...anyone want to guess what I got out of it? I had also sold a gibson les paul studio that was farely rare, guy came up from Brazil to buy it. Can't remember the band name off hand (strange band) but he sent me a email showing me a new released mtv video that they had done and it featured the les paul. I was selling some items off because I had both of my wrists crushed in 2005 and can't hardly even play anymore...bummer.

Hovis

But it surprises me that I haven't seen the Eagles mentioned. I've seen them twice and they are as good today as they were back in the day. Sound systems and electronics have gotten so much better that most entertainers sound so much better than they used to.

I saw the Eagles a few years ago. Rock solid musically... I mean they were AMAZING, but a little too crisp and stiff for my likes at a concert.

However- Joe Walsh played some solo tracks and man he rocked. Totally stole the show!

i'm impressed by the number of rock and roll guys on this forum....
would have guessed most were country.......

inagaddavida

tell me the group and the real name of the song.ohh and how long is the original track...

mike in co

Last edited:
i'm impressed my the number of rock and roll guys on this forum....
would have guessed most were country.......

inagaddavida

tell me the group and the real name of the song.ohh and how long is the original track...

mike in co

Iron Butterfly, "In The Garden Of Eden" and a little over seventeen minutes...

Really had no idea... Wikipedia'd it. What'd I win?

lol...cheater...
it was written as a 2 min plus filler.
17 mins is what you get from a stoned band that jams on a little song...
the published title is the best they could pronounce in the performance....lol
most popular use today is for dj's that need a pee break
mike in co
Iron Butterfly, "In The Garden Of Eden" and a little over seventeen minutes...

Really had no idea... Wikipedia'd it. What'd I win?

Ahh, the infamous "album cut". For all of those that have never seen an actual "record", the thing had two sides. Rock bands were told that they had to fill up both sides, because fans would notice that huge gap at the end with no grooves in it, and feel cheated.

So, they invented the "album cut", where the instrumentalist just kept playing the same riffs over, and over, and over..... again, changing the tempo a little, maybe even changing key, or go to the 4th or 5th.

The best example of this is "Light my Fire" on the Doors first album. Good grief, how many times could Mazerak keep playing varations of that same 'da da da da de da da da da da da' over, and over, and over again. No matter how stoned you were, you could not help but say, "enough already".

Of course, it filled up a full 17 minutes on the front side. Get the idea.............jackie

Last edited:
I can't say that I have an all time favorite song, however, some songs when I hear them I can tell you where I was at the time.
Examples:
Little Arrows by Leapy Lee is associated with my first time in love, but probably more lust than love, planting wheat north of Alva, Oklahoma.
Do You Know The Way To San Jose by Dionne Warwick heard while going to a Navy sponsored picnic while in boot camp at San Diego.
Tennessee Birdwalk by Jack Blanchard and Misty Morgan heard on the morning that we went into Cambodia.
Brand New Key by Melanie was the first song I heard when I got back to the US, I was in a taxi on my way to Treasure Island at San Francisco

Last edited:
Paul -

Howdy !

I like great singing... great singers. Superb harmonies...... great " Rock "....

The Who - " Can't Explain "

J. C. Fogherty - " Born on the Bayou "

Kinks - " All Day, and all of the Night "

Doobie Bros - " Rockin' Down the Highway"

The Monkees - " Valerie "

Hollies - " Look through any Window "

Patsy Cline - "Crazy "

Connie Francis - " Where the Boys Are " -

Petula Clark - " I know a Place ", " Colour My World " - listen carefully, especially with a good sound system/head phones

Tom Jones - " Show Me ( a man that's got a good woman ) " check it out on YOUTUBE

The Moma's and the Papa's - " 12:30 ( Young Girls are coming to the Canyon ) - 4 singers harmonize so well, it produces a 5th ghost " voice "

Roy Orbison - " Only the Lonely "

Roy Head - " Treat her Right "

Momma Cass Elliot - " New World Comin' "

Glenn Campbell - " Try a little Kindness "

Wilson Pickett - " Mustang Sally "

The Association - " Everything that touches You "

Gary Puckett & the Union Gap - " This Girl is a Woman now "

Mark Lindsay - " San Francisco "

Van Morrison - " Tupelo Honey "

Regards,
.357Mag

Which Van Halen is best? Diamond Dave or Van Hagar?

I really miss the old 80's hairbands. Guns & Roses, Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Skid Row, Warrant and RATT.

Best album ever was GNR's Appetite for Destruction.... I could listen to Mr Brownstone all day long!!!

Sometimes, a song can instantly transport our brains back to the exact moment in time when we first heard it. This one is a good example.

It was 1978 and we were heading to Indy for the NHRA U.S. Nationals. It was the middle of the night and I was behind the wheel somewhere east of Chicago when it came on. My three pals were all sound asleep as the Chevy one ton crew cab hauler ate up the miles under a beautiful full moon. The August night air was cool, there was a record holding Super Stocker on the back of the ramp truck and plenty of spare parts. A bad azz race car on the way to the biggest race of the year to slug it out with the best of the best from all over the nation. And four good pals doing what they loved best. To a 24 year old kid from South Dakota, life was perfect....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_3SydJVaE0

ECLECTIC.......

bonnie raitt

janis joplin

bosia

madonna

stevie nicks

gloria estephan

alannah miles

i'm sure there are more
i also like big band as that was what my parents listened to.
jazz/blues/
johnny cash...i worked with a guy that owned three 8 track tapes..all cash.....

from my 40th hs reunion tour...
be true to your school
walk like a man
sugar shack
i saw her standing there
she loves you
chapel of love
i get around
house of the rising sun
do wah diddy
baby love
downtown
you've lost that lovin' feeling
mrs. brown
help me rohnda
mr tambourineman
satisfaction
i got you babe
help
eve of destruction
turn turn
some music is regional....my stuff is from southern california
mike in co

David or Sammie?

David was/is a heck of a front man..one of the best.

Musically, on his best day David couldn't carry Sammy's lunch box. ;)

But when it comes to front men, I think Freddie Mercury tops 'em all. Talk about a man in complete command of an audience...this will make 'ya shake your head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXOOwNS2qk0

I agree, Sammie had the voice, but Dave had the personality and showmanship.

A big +1 on Bonnie and Stevie, but I would also add Heart to that list, "Alone" is a good one.

I cant believe I didnt add Motley Crue and Poison to my list. I always liked the Crue better between them. The opening riff on "Dr Feelgood" still makes me beat the heck out of my steering wheel and bang my head at 39 years old.

Back